Discussion Rugby League/Union Kits discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree on some points, I think your a bit harsh on a few though like the Rays and Rising. Vikings look s ok but a bit amateur and country eagles LOOK like referees.

L-R
  • Rays - never going to take off with that colour set -, they should go back to what they wore in 2007 (Central Coast Rays) and wear Green (with a Black or Navy, and white trim).
I believe the Harlequin scheme comes from the colours of the clubs that support the NRC team.

SOURCE: Wikipedia (not really a source but hey) The only change from the original logo has been the name prefix moving from Central Coast to North Harbour and, as of 2016, Sydney. The team plays in a harlequin-style quartered strip composed of blue, red, green, gold and black colours from the four constituent clubs. All four clubs’ colours are also featured on the socks. [...]

In March 2014 it was announced that the Rays would be revived as the North Harbour Rays to compete in the new National Rugby Championship.[12]The new Rays team was backed by a consortium of four Shute Shield clubs: Manly, Warringah, Northern Suburbs and Gordon.

The team played in a quartered harlequin-style strip composed of blue, red, and two shades of green from the four constituent clubs. The sleeves were gold and black, collar and shorts were white and all four clubs’ colours were featured on the socks.

Manly wear blue with red, Warringah green and white, Norths black and red, and Gordon green, gold and black. Southern Districts almost became part of the SYDNEY Rams this year, so maybe we'd have seen the Rebels' sky blue and red too...

Spirit hoops have no side-panels, though that blue panel on the top still sticks out as weird.

Spirit-Jono_Lance-12.JPG

On a side note, wish this guy wasn't so injury-prone, could develop into the fly-half the Wallabies need.

280189_be108fe6e6f96e0670e084d3f3a3a45d.JPG
The black on the sleeves doesn't quite seem black enough. Looks a bit charcoal-ish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still find the concept of an 'England' team in rugby league very artificial. Bring back Great Britain!
the-great-britain-rugby-league-world-cup-team-october-1970-the-team-picture-id118273407
The world needs some universal agreement on whether England is allowed to ever fall back on Great Britain in sport.

The world needs some universal agreement on whether England is allowed to ever fall back on Great Britain in sport.
I think Rugby League is different - England wasn't much of a concept in RL for most of the 20th century, it was mostly GB. Only in the 90s, when they wanted to pad-out the World Cup and make it A Thing, did they start splitting it more commonly into the home nations.

I reckon if they want to do that, we should send Queensland and NSW to the RL World Cup.

Only in the 90s, when they wanted to pad-out the World Cup and make it A Thing, did they start splitting it more commonly into the home nations.
And to get a chunk of the "Sport England" lottery funding money, they had to have a viable "England" team to receive it
I reckon if they want to do that, we should send Queensland and NSW to the RL World Cup.
Funny, I once jokingly mentioned that idea to an official of the French RL: he said that in pure footballing terms, it would be a very interesting thing to see, but it would devalue the World Cup. The idea of a fantasy five-way tournament of NSW, Qld, NZ, England/GB and the Rest of the World or Pacific Islands XIII was what we would like to have seen as a pretty decent test-quality spectacle.

Last edited:
I think Rugby League is different - England wasn't much of a concept in RL for most of the 20th century, it was mostly GB. Only in the 90s, when they wanted to pad-out the World Cup and make it A Thing, did they start splitting it more commonly into the home nations.

I think we should just ban them altogether. Force them to play as the UK in all international tournaments. If you don't have a seat in the UN, sod off you not-a-proper-country!

(the UK would tear itself apart in about five minutes ;))

Remove this Banner Ad

Back