Discussion Rugby League/Union Kits discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not really a rugby fan so this might sound like a stupid question but is there a reason why the attendance for rugby is so low? I thought it was the number 1 sport on the east coast? it seems the AFL teams there (which I thought nobody had interest in) draws 2 or 3 times more fans to the games than even the biggest clubs in rugby. I'm not trying to have a go at rugby or anything because I would like to get into watching it, but it just seems like pre-season attendance every game.
League is more popular because it's still tribal and was always the "working class" game - union tends to be seen as "upper class" as their base is more private school oriented at lower levels, which has really loyal support from people who have been in that system but is less "accessible" to the average punter. That's very general and I volunteer at a union club who is and always has been more working class but we are not in the elite competitions, we're basically what I think are called "ammos" in AFL parlance.

I'm not really a rugby fan so this might sound like a stupid question but is there a reason why the attendance for rugby is so low? I thought it was the number 1 sport on the east coast? it seems the AFL teams there (which I thought nobody had interest in) draws 2 or 3 times more fans to the games than even the biggest clubs in rugby. I'm not trying to have a go at rugby or anything because I would like to get into watching it, but it just seems like pre-season attendance every game.
Because all our teams suck, Australia’s best players can get about a million more per year playing off shore

So players play here for a year or two until they can get a big money offer and then leave.

The desire to be a Wallaby isn’t there as all the players coming through the grades now have never seen the wallabies be competitive or have any success

Also depends on whether you're talking about league or union. As far as attendances go, the answers from the above two posts are spot on. I can add a little bit to that also.

As far as union goes, our game has shrunk in interest and player population across the board. Union is now going through something akin to what soccer used to go through back in in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s. In that, because the game has shrunk so much and virtually disappeared from the mainstream, it's primarily being kept alive by people who have a cultural background in the game only. So you'll find that a lot of the population of players come from backgrounds who actually support other nations like the Springboks or the All Blacks for example. This was similar to soccer back in the day, when a lot of the players came from backgrounds who used to support Continental European sides, primarily from the Mediterranean and eastern Europe, rather than the Australian national team. Therefore the crowds were generally smaller for both club games and the national team, especially as lot of the players didn't have any real attachment to an Australian national side. We are seeing that in Perth for example, where more people would rather turn up to watch the Springboks or the All Blacks, then either the local side or the national team. (It is interesting to note that rugby league in New Zealand, not union, is also going through something similar, with a lot of players turning their backs on a Kiwi national jersey and opting to play for nations of their parents' heritage instead.) Because of rugby union being relatively small in the first place, it means we never really had the money to fend off this problem, and through financial mismanagement, we now have none at all. What little players we do produce, are now being lured overseas anyway through a combination of both financial incentive and also in some cases the lack of a cultural attachment to an Australian jersey; all the while the game struggles to keep whatever non-private school development areas alive in the face of basketball, soccer and AFL- let alone rugby league.

Now with rugby league, despite being such a huge code, once pokie money came into the game, the need for bums-on-seats waned as clubs found that pokie money and television deals were their way of the future. As AFL consolidated themselves to fewer but much larger stadia, they needed to attract more members and season-ticket holders to fill the seats for TV viewing and to make up for the lack of pokie money. Rugby league concentrated on things like NRL "Super Saturday" on pay-TV to bring in huge money, noting that league fans were just as likely to sit and watch other teams alongside their own sides in a day long format. While the pokie money and leagues club incomes more than made up for a lack of paying spectators

Last edited:

I don't know how this slipped under the radar, but the Waratahs wore this Heritage jersey on Friday Night
WR22JSY03M-FRONT__44134.1643849340.jpg

WR22JSY03M-BACK__59184.1643849335.jpg

Retail of Blues SOO jersey.

76865101__275338308.jpg
Way too saturated and bright - borders on cyan rather than the traditional "sky blue". Wish they'd bugger off some of the logos - only players should have coat of arms in my opinion (yes I know it's not a "true" CoA but it is the NSWRL version of a CoA). Also, I now feel like a Tooheys or 32, great exposure for a brand having every thread plastered with your logo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's official, Penrith have KFC as a sponsor now

It's been known for at least 2 weeks after the logo was spotted on their shorts during a trial match against Cronulla
FMBZoDIVkAQqRIF

Confirmation that the Sharks will wear their home kit tomorrow night

Sharks always wear hoops, apart from the odd time vs Bulldogs or GC, or they have a promotional or special jumper.

Last year or the year before they did a 'back in black' round at a home game just so they would wear the alternate jersey within the first 10 rounds

Not sure if this has already been covered, but Palmerbet occupy the lower back position on Canberra's jerseys

Remove this Banner Ad

Back