moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
I really fancy trying to get to a Tonga game.

<checks fixtures> Well, they play PNG at St Helens. That's only down the road, and should be worth watching.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Not optimistic about the England squad at all. There's not that much real world-class quality around, so a few injuries (and some strange selections?) have hit us hard. On paper, the squad doesn't look as a good as Samoa and Tonga, never mind Aus and NZ. Ryan Hall, for God's sake?

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Not optimistic about the England squad at all. There's not that much real world-class quality around, so a few injuries (and some strange selections?) have hit us hard. On paper, the squad doesn't look as a good as Samoa and Tonga, never mind Aus and NZ. Ryan Hall, for God's sake?
Realistically I don't think England are in the same class as the very best teams atm, particularly with the squads where a lot of the Aussie talent has decided to play for.

However what they do have is home town advantage which cam definitely give them an extra leg not just in motivation but also condition experience and familiarty. I wouldn't discount that boost.

Mind you, in regards to squad strength I don't see it as Australia's best squad either, particularly in the forward pack.

Tigger Please!

Koo Koo Ka-Choo
Oct 24, 2005
Bourgeois Bohemia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wests Tigers
Realistically I don't think England are in the same class as the very best teams atm, particularly with the squads where a lot of the Aussie talent has decided to play for.

However what they do have is home town advantage which cam definitely give them an extra leg not just in motivation but also condition experience and familiarty. I wouldn't discount that boost.

Mind you, in regards to squad strength I don't see it as Australia's best squad either, particularly in the forward pack.

It's a great backline for the Kangaroos but, agreed, not a particularly strong pack. It is fit and mobile though so, if the unseasonal heat wave continues in old blighty, it could definitely work to their advantage.
I'd still put the Kangaroos as clear favourites however the Kiwis and Toa Samoa are not far behind and definitely have the squads to pull off an upset.
Tonga lack the class in the halves but should still be well in the mix.
This is probably the weakest England squad I've ever seen, I'd seriously put them on the same pegging as Fiji. They're going to need the weather to turn cold, dreary and soggy if they're any chance of containing the antipodean sides.
Other than that, PNG and Ireland have decent squads and could potentially pull off an upset or two. It should be a ripper tournament, can't wait.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
It's a great backline for the Kangaroos but, agreed, not a particularly strong pack. It is fit and mobile though so, if the unseasonal heat wave continues in old blighty, it could definitely work to their advantage.
I'd still put the Kangaroos as clear favourites however the Kiwis and Toa Samoa are not far behind and definitely have the squads to pull off an upset.
Tonga lack the class in the halves but should still be well in the mix.
This is probably the weakest England squad I've ever seen, I'd seriously put them on the same pegging as Fiji. They're going to need the weather to turn cold, dreary and soggy if they're any chance of containing the antipodean sides.
Other than that, PNG and Ireland have decent squads and could potentially pull off an upset or two. It should be a ripper tournament, can't wait.
Agreed. I can make a case for 4 winners, Australia, NZ, Tonga, Samoa.

Probably been a long time (probably never before?) That I could realistically make that case for 4 sides heading into a RLWC.

If those 4 teams are the 4 semi final teams, we'll be having a ripper of a final 3 games.

Mikey13G

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2018
The People's Republic of Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ryan Hall was a gun...10 years ago haha

England V Samoa in the first group match will be a great game.

I'm supporting Australia and Tonga. The only thing going for England is that they're hosting it.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Ryan Hall was a gun...10 years ago haha

England V Samoa in the first group match will be a great game.

I'm supporting Australia and Tonga. The only thing going for England is that they're hosting it.
That Samoan side with a few NRL guns should absolutely s**t on England, but the home factor and crowd is a wildcard boost for them.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
England win their warm-up against Fiji 50-0. I shudder to think how many the Kangaroos will put on them on Saturday, they looked like they'd never played together before..

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC