Toast Ruggles delisted

Discussion in 'Geelong - Total Footy' started by K rock Football, Apr 6, 2016.

Put it out there
  1. catswhiskers

catswhiskers Premiership Player

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Ruggles performed well above expectations last year. Like a number of other players he has things to work on. Now a weakness at AFL is identified his preseason can be tailored better.

Last year must seem a bit like a blur to him. He seems tho to be the type who won't let this hard won opportunity slip.

Hopefully you you will be able to change that unkind nickname to something more positive next year.

Doctor Gero, Podsnap and GHS33 like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. dazbroncos

dazbroncos Max Rooke Appreciation Society

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Denver Broncos, Red Bull Racing
    Ruggles has his shockers for sure - but what first year player hasn't - and im pretty sure PFD, Sel and Jimmy has some head in hands moments last year too.

It happens. Ruggles had more - yes - but for a bloke that this time last year was on no list of note and his biggest decision was how to phrase his text to Wells for list consideration, Id say he did pretty well.

Now, year two I'd expect more improvement with fitness and results, but id also give him the time to do it.

Go Catters

OzeSparky and Pure_Ownage like this.
  3. GTOA

GTOA Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Well, I just did turn 45 the other week. LOL.

OzeSparky likes this.
  4. Nakia

Nakia Premiers 07, 09, '11

Geelong
    Other teams:
    NSW, Man Utd, Wonders
    His mind doesn't work fast enough for AFL football.

Catsmaninamerica likes this.
  5. Doctor Gero

Doctor Gero TheBrownDog

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Tottenham, Mets, Bushrangers
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-05/former-cats-delisting-still-hard-to-take

6. Seeds

Seeds Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    Other teams:
    So he was delisted cos he was the only small defender out of contract. But dont we still have two free list spots?

You would of thought with injuries forcing us to play multiple rookies in the same games last year we may of been willing to improve our depth and he was more then capable of playing afl level. IS our salary cap now really that tight?

7. Landgraft

Landgraft Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    I've had suspicion for a while that they've been trying to front-end deals with an eye on FA... but maybe Guthrie and Blicz are just making bank, it wouldn't surprise me too much.

Seeds likes this.
  8. The Emu

The Emu Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    I hope not... Their recent performance does not warrant it.

9. dazbroncos

Geelong
    Other teams:
    I think Zuthrie sealed his fate. 6 years younger, a bit better disposal, not as strong physically yet, but seemed well assured with ball in hand for a rookie.
    And put his head over it when needed to.

I liked the underdog story of Ruggles and he did some good things - but I just think he didnt do enough regularly and then got the rough end of the timing pineapple with his injuries.

Go Catters

Ricketz, ShaunWDT, Boxhead_31 and 3 others like this.
  10. Landgraft

Landgraft Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    One thing I would guarantee is that they're being paid an amount that would outrage more than a few on this board. Plenty wouldn't even be happy to see them on even the "average" (mean) AFL player salary of 300k/year.

11. Strange Cat

Strange Cat Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Yep I loved what Ruggles has achieved in his time, but the unfortunant timing of his injury and the emergence of Zuthrie and co just meant that they could no longer have him on the list.

I’m still surprised that there wasn’t any other club interested in him tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Seeds

Seeds Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    Other teams:
    still doesnt explain why we arent using him as depth on minimum wage on one of our two free list spots. he played 18 games in his first season and some pretty decent games too. played the first four games this year and was plagued by injuries for the rest of the year. Sure he was never going to be a great player but he was a capable plug, much like josh hunt.

we lost mackie who was often used as a small defender. We basically have only touhy and Bews as smalls in the starting 22. zuthrie is still a rookie and probably a couple of years away. Big question marks on Thurlow right now after an incredibly ordinary comeback season. cam guthrie had a stinker in defence in the first half of the season and looks far better in a defensive mid role. Our small defender depth isnt that great. one or two go down and we will be scratching out heads as to why we didnt keep Ruggles in one of those two free list spots.

Spazz Cat and Spearman like this.
  13. Footy Smarts

Footy Smarts Norm Smith Medallist

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Zuthrie's definitely one piece of the puzzle but there were others too. When Ruggles played his last game Stewart was a 4-gamer who nobody was sure about yet and Bews was playing as a small forward in the VFL. So that's 2 guys who were unknown quantities who are now locks in the defense. Also Scott Selwood was still perennially injured meaning Cam Guthrie was needed through midfield a lot more.

If you just name the guys who are definitely better in that small/medium defender category you've got Tuohy, Stewart, Bews, C Guthrie and Kolodjashnij. Then you've got Thurlow and Zuthrie who are comparable at the moment and have much higher potential. So yes he was very unlucky that a lot of guys shot past him in quick time but looking at our list it's hard to justify keeping a depth player in an area where we've got plenty of depth. If he had exactly the same level of talent but was a key forward he probably would've got a 2-year contract.

14. Deep

Deep Lethal

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Chelsea FC
    Please come back...

My favourite Cat since Mooney...

And they both have a resemblance in attitude

15. Footy Smarts

Footy Smarts Norm Smith Medallist

Geelong
    Other teams:
    It doesn't work like that. Our 2 "free" list spots are replaced by 2 extra rookie spots (38 on the senior list plus 6 on the rookie list). To keep him would've meant somebody on our main list or rookie list wouldn't be there. You can argue we should've kept him ahead of someone else but it's not just a case of putting him on the list and that's it.

Seeds and Pure_Ownage like this.
  16. Doctor Gero

Doctor Gero TheBrownDog

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Tottenham, Mets, Bushrangers
    I'd have rookied him over Hayball but none of the other rookies. They must see something in him and must think Ruggles has peaked.

17. Pure_Ownage

Pure_Ownage Moderator

Geelong
    Other teams:
    We dont have 2 free spots we have a full list of 44 + oconnor.

We only took in 4 nd + 1 new rookie as we had very few players ooc to cut if more fringe players were OOC we would have kept Ruggles but he was OOC at the wrong time.

Strange Cat, Seeds and dazbroncos like this.
  18. Seeds

Seeds Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    Other teams:
    thanks for clarifying that i wasnt aware.

19. Vdubs

Vdubs Premium Platinum

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Melbourne City, Arsenal
    Thread should be stopped or renamed?

20. dazbroncos

Geelong
    Other teams:
    The thread on cat scan with his player profile has been updated but yeah we can change the title here too.

Go Catters

21. Strange Cat

Strange Cat Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    I hope Ruggles works hard and a club picks him up next year, he’s still young enough to come back from this.

22. CatRiot

CatRiot Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Is he staying on our VFL list?

23. Boxhead_31

Boxhead_31 Dan Menzel Heart

Geelong
    Other teams:
    South BHFL, 49ers, USC
    This Drinking Team has a Football Problem
    Nope playing for Leopold I believe

24. CatRiot

CatRiot Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    What a shame, he was ok.

25. Benny78

Benny78 Premiership Player

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Crow
    While the decision itself isn't terrible. It's a terrible decision to delist him with Aaron Black still on the list. Defender/Forward whatever don't care. Ruggles imo wasn't going to make it but showed something. Aaron Black and others are like Sam Blease all over again. Why are we delisting reserve players over token recruits that will be lucky to play an AFL game? Ruggles might actually be worth another 5 games in his career unlike these token players we keep recruiting.

cynical likes this.