MRP / Trib. Umpiring, MRO, Tribunal, Rule Changes - 50m penalties for raising arms?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think I've been more confused at an MRP decision. Not cos it's one of our players, but golly gosh. I feel for dangerfield and anyone else in the same circumstance. It's totally game changing.

How the hell did Ollie Wines only cop a $1000 fine?
Left the ground and elbowed someone in the face.
Deemed low impact!
I'd be filthy if I was Zac, this was 10 times worse.

I can live with them wanting to protect against concussion/head and neck injuries.

So as long that is applied consistlently from now on.

Not repeat what they have done forever and more recently came out and say anyone that throws a punch will be suspended then let off zak jones with a fine.....

These comments from Gil sum up just how arrogant the AFL is. It's a coaches prerogative to manage the team how they want and if that means resting players so be it.

The AFL add a bye into combat what the coaches do and then we just go on this stupid merry-go-round again.

Just let the coaches and players work it out without bloody meddling!

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ge-the-afl-finals-system-20170814-gxviet.html

"When Ross Lyon aired his concern around the AFL's decision to introduce the bye after the home and away season last year, Gillon McLachlan was quick with his reply. Fremantle had rested half their team in the last game of 2015 when they were a top four side, so they obviously weren't concerned about having those players miss two matches in three weeks then. Why should it be an issue now?"

These comments from Gil sum up just how arrogant the AFL is. It's a coaches prerogative to manage the team how they want and if that means resting players so be it.

The AFL add a bye into combat what the coaches do and then we just go on this stupid merry-go-round again.

Just let the coaches and players work it out without bloody meddling!

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ge-the-afl-finals-system-20170814-gxviet.html

"When Ross Lyon aired his concern around the AFL's decision to introduce the bye after the home and away season last year, Gillon McLachlan was quick with his reply. Fremantle had rested half their team in the last game of 2015 when they were a top four side, so they obviously weren't concerned about having those players miss two matches in three weeks then. Why should it be an issue now?"
No one disputes how arrogant the AFL is... it's basically an acknowledged fact, barely even worth commenting on.

As for the end of season bye, I have no problem with their reasoning, although I don't necessarily like the repercussions. It's not so much a rule change as a logistical issue that they're attempting to deal with. I'd rather they just went with a 17 round season, play everyone else once and then play finals. They won't do that though, because money. It's always money. There's no use being upset about that, if it wasn't for money we'd still be playing amateur football at second rate grounds against second rate teams. (Amateur in the sense that they're not paid professionals, and they have day jobs.)

No one disputes how arrogant the AFL is... it's basically an acknowledged fact, barely even worth commenting on.

As for the end of season bye, I have no problem with their reasoning, although I don't necessarily like the repercussions. It's not so much a rule change as a logistical issue that they're attempting to deal with. I'd rather they just went with a 17 round season, play everyone else once and then play finals. They won't do that though, because money. It's always money. There's no use being upset about that, if it wasn't for money we'd still be playing amateur football at second rate grounds against second rate teams. (Amateur in the sense that they're not paid professionals, and they have day jobs.)

The money is irrelevant if the consumer is getting what they paid for.

I doubt a single person wants a bye between the end of the home and away season and the finals.

I hate the bloody bye round during the season but having to wait a week for finals is just plain stupid.

The money is irrelevant if the consumer is getting what they paid for.

I doubt a single person wants a bye between the end of the home and away season and the finals.

I hate the bloody bye round during the season but having to wait a week for finals is just plain stupid.
You being impatient doesn't make any difference to the beancounters at AFL HQ, people fork out their money for finals regardless of whether or not there's a bye after round 23.

They might have the wrong solution but I don't have an issue with them trying to find one. Making it a better spectacle is of benefit to everyone involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You being impatient doesn't make any difference to the beancounters at AFL HQ, people fork out their money for finals regardless of whether or not there's a bye after round 23.

They might have the wrong solution but I don't have an issue with them trying to find one. Making it a better spectacle is of benefit to everyone involved.

It goes back to my point of not touching the game.

I think I can speak for most people when I say we just want them to leave the game alone.

Beancounters aside of course.

There are actually some really good umpires in the AFL fraternity. How about our footy community gives the good ones a pat on the back and provide some incentive for others with the right talent to come into the game?

The bad umpires, well, they can face the full force of Drogon's fire breath for all I care.

I hope the bye before the finals becomes a permanent fixture - I love the idea of teams having an extra week to get their players into pristine condition - It should lead to a better quality finals series, and I thought the final series in 2016 produced good quality footy.

Happy with the bye. Make it the celebration week for footy do all the awards etc. Have the players rest up.

That way we have 8 teams in the best condition possible.
Also introduces the concept of waiting for something you want which people need to learn.

Just as well we didn't contest Zerretts suspension after Redpath last night.

Yeah,
Though it does aid us because we need them to lose, God id be pissed off if I was a doggies fan. 3 weeks is a joke.
When you look at it next to the wines one its pretty crazy.
I wonder if its a statement prior to finals? Like a shot across the playing group of, "we will accept nothing at all for the next 6 weeks"

Last edited:
The issue i have the MRP is you get more if a players is knocked out in whatever the report is for. People are different and players can differ as to what force knocks them out. So basically you have to know how easy it is to knock a player out before you tackle them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back