Analysis Rule Changes Discussion and Vent thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest one coming for 2021 season is the new concussion rules, showing players that suffer a concussion will miss a mandatory 12 days of football minimum which is probably best for all concerned, though I don't entirely agree with a blanket being thrown over all concussions:

Second one that has garnered a fair bit of discussion (and there were murmurs of where this is to be discussed at the time) is the lateral movement on the mark. One of the dumber rule changes in recent times, will be up there with "the protected zone" for infuriating 50s IMO.

Biggest one coming for 2021 season is the new concussion rules, showing players that suffer a concussion will miss a mandatory 12 days of football minimum which is probably best for all concerned, though I don't entirely agree with a blanket being thrown over all concussions:

Second one that has garnered a fair bit of discussion (and there were murmurs of where this is to be discussed at the time) is the lateral movement on the mark. One of the dumber rule changes in recent times, will be up there with "the protected zone" for infuriating 50s IMO.
I actually dont mind this rule as i think it will assist us offensively with our gameplan. will allow decent kickers to spot up targets in the corridor quicker or allows gaff types to get the overlapping handball.

Defensively it will be harder no doubt.

I actually dont mind this rule as i think it will assist us offensively with our gameplan. will allow decent kickers to spot up targets in the corridor quicker or allows gaff types to get the overlapping handball.

Defensively it will be harder no doubt.

Umpiring the rule is what worries me. They'll be super touchy at the start and I think a 50m penalty is far too severe a consequence.

Umpiring the rule is what worries me. They'll be super touchy at the start and I think a 50m penalty is far too severe a consequence.

Agreed, I wrote this back in November after these changes were announced and remain unchanged in my feelings towards them now:

If interpreted to the letter, the change in ruling on the mark will significantly help teams like Geelong who short kick out of defence. However, if they go down that avenue there will be x20 50m penalties every match just because the defender took a step sideways after the player with the ball came off the mark, but the umpire hadn't yet called play on... Therefore, I see it becoming yet another of those rules that exist but get "softened" in interpretation over time, only for it to infuriate us when it is actually paid as written once every round.

As a result I don't see it impacting negatively upon pressure tactics to any great extent, those teams will likely just focus more on the prevention of opponent marks from occurring in certain areas that could benefit from this rule change.

I can foresee 6-6-6 eventually coming in at kick-ins, but the logistics of enforcing it for stoppages elsewhere will cause far too much time delay for any practical purpose and likely precipitate another wave of negative coaching as a defensive means of preventing opponents from exploiting space forward of the stoppage.

Personally, I hate 6-6-6 zoning as it limits the available options for coaches and thus limits the growth of the sport.

The constant fixation with kick-ins sums up the current situation - each year we see change after change around the kick-ins as a means of opening up play etc, yet those making these changes also fail to realise that kick-ins result in just 1% of all scoring outcomes in matches.

Also weighed in at that time in regard to the reduction of the interchange cap:

The problem is that players on average are far superior in their fitness now when compared to previous eras. So what tends to happen lately with reduced interchanges is that players are still covering ground but start to reduce the amount of risk in their disposal as they fatigue.

Less risk in disposal amounts to less scoring, which explains why there is a statistically strong correlation between interchanges and scoring.

So ironically, the change reducing the number of interchanges will likely have a negative impact upon scoring, which is the exact opposite of its intention.

Once again absolute muppets governing and making rule changes to a sport when they don't have any comprehension of how it is currently played.

Hopefully w're doing drill after drill after drill on turning Petch into a weapon to exploit this.

Or practicing our kicks from the goal square to 10 talls planted on the boundary, whatever.
Looking forward to seeing Petch sprinting around the man on the mark only to grubber the ball I50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game is a farce, my life long interest in footy is almost gone because of all the pathetic over regulation of the game. Peace out. Gl Eagles.

Game is a farce, my life long interest in footy is almost gone because of all the pathetic over regulation of the game. Peace out. Gl Eagles.

I'm with you mate, I'm still clinging on coz it was such a big part of my life that that I can't let go of the last bit and that's my sole interest in the Eagles.

I'm with you mate, I'm still clinging on coz it was such a big part of my life that that I can't let go of the last bit and that's my sole interest in the Eagles.

Yeah same feeling among a few friends, GL to anyone still invested, hope they enjoy it and have fun with it. But the footy I love it dead and buried, no hard feelings, ill do something else.

"I've been able to stand still pretty well for a lot longer than a few seconds," he said.

^seriously can't wait for this guy to * off.

I think we need to be a bit patient on this one because it's gone through a process

What process is this? He and Hocking talked about in his office and decided on it? :tearsofjoy:

Watched a replay of the Saints and Blues game tonight, and despite all the flak, the rule worked well, I liked it. And scoring was high too with fast paced footy. It was all good. The Saints are looking good for 2021.
Let's see how our Eagles go on Sunday.

Watched a replay of the Saints and Blues game tonight, and despite all the flak, the rule worked well, I liked it. And scoring was high too with fast paced footy. It was all good. The Saints are looking good for 2021.

giphy.gif

But yeah in all seriousness I'm uncertain how it will go, my issue with it comes from a place where I've had enough with suits tinkering with the game to fix problems they've made from previous tinkering. Also it's only going to take one stupid 50 to affect the outcome of a game.

Will wait and see what happens comes the season proper.

We'll slowly try to switch the ball a couple of times before turning it over across half back and being scored against.

They'll never see it coming : okhand :

It certainly didn't make a lot of difference to our score the other day

Whenever I try to imagine how the rules committee operates, I think of this scene:

QUIMBY
For decimating our pigeon population, and making Springfield a less oppressive place to while away our worthless lives, I present you with this scented candle.

Skinner talks to Lisa.

SKINNER
Well, I was wrong. The lizards are a godsend.

LISA
But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by lizards?

SKINNER
No problem. We simply unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards.

LISA
But aren't the snakes even worse?

SKINNER
Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.

LISA
But then we're stuck with gorillas!

SKINNER
No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back