Rule Changes for 2019

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kickazz

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
So a player "plays on" whilst the umpire is measuring out a 50m penalty but what happens if that player gets legitimately tackled within the 50m penalty area ??

Does another 50m penalty get awarded or is the tackler rewarded ??

******* dogs breakfast once again.
Another 50, just like it is now.

Vindicater

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
I wonder if teams will use the 6-6-6 to start shaking tags.

For example Essendon could start Stringer in the middle with Z. Merrett starting forward and have them switch after the bounce and hope the other team can't get their matchups right?

shaqsuns

Club Legend
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
From the 3 quarters I watched today in the practice game between the suns and the lions, the 6-6-6 didn’t stop any congestion what so ever. All did was make the flankers run an extra 5 meters more then they did last year at centre bounce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kickazz

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
From the 3 quarters I watched today in the practice game between the suns and the lions, the 6-6-6 didn’t stop any congestion what so ever. All did was make the flankers run an extra 5 meters more then they did last year at centre bounce.

Yeah i think will have limited impact. It does serve a good purpose though I think, by stopping coaches putting everyone behind the ball near the end of a close game and taking the fizz out of it.

quotemokc

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets

Is the current rule players must wait until the ball is bounced before moving in?

If so, I fully expect the AFL to change the rule to until a player has touched the ball.

Damon_3388

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
This was the obvious outcome.

D-N-R

Club Legend
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WCE
Were there any restrictions with numbers in the centre square when there was a free kick from the bounce? I can't ever remember that so I don't see why the players should be forced to maintain starting positions now. Are teams going to concede possession deliberately so they can flood the back line? Would that be a beneficial tactic?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blue1980

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Is the current rule players must wait until the ball is bounced before moving in?

If so, I fully expect the AFL to change the rule to until a player has touched the ball.
Might be harder to officiate, but I’d like it so players have to stay in their zones until the ball leaves the centre square.

Your idea might be a good compromise.

Blue1980

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton

It helps at centre bounces obviously but for longer periods without scoring, obviously it won’t do much.

I think aside from the most anti change of many kind (the ‘leave the game alone’ crowd) can see that it certainly doesn’t have any negative impact.

If these changes are good to a minimal degree, then we can introduce more of the changes that were tabled as people will realize the world won’t end.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Early signs is the AFL has finally done something effective about congestion. Long may this early trend continue.

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Sydney
Early signs is the AFL has finally done something effective about congestion. Long may this early trend continue.
For 10 seconds at every centre clearance (of which there are no more than 30 a match, at most). AFL didn't really go far enough in my opinion.

Stars align

Senior List
AFL Club
Richmond
Oh there's a surprise Hocking and his band of mental giants have decided that the new interchange led boards can't be read due to the glare. Really they didn't trial this before the JLT.
This is not soccer where the guy stands on the sideline holding up the board as the mostly single disgruntled player trudges slowly off

im_a_lazy_sod

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton-EFFC-PGFC-Tranmere-Atalanta
Oh there's a surprise Hocking and his band of mental giants have decided that the new interchange led boards can't be read due to the glare. Really they didn't trial this before the JLT.
This is not soccer where the guy stands on the sideline holding up the board as the mostly single disgruntled player trudges slowly off
Plus in the top divs in Europe - even the A-League - they have the substitute announced over the PA. Plus there's only ever maximum 6 per 90 minutes. Terrible logic.

If they want to look at works in other sports at least look at things that are doable for our game there are far more changes out there

NoobPie

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
The kick in rule changes do to....and the rules around 50 metre penalties. They all loosen the capacity of the team without possession to slow the game down (and thus increase stoppages/congestion)

The AFL needs to be prudent when attempting to further reduce congestion though. Zones are an abomination and thus a non-starter. I like hardwick's team holding the ball suggestion.

Ultimately we are going to have to live with some congestion though. People perhaps will need to stop imagining it is far worse than it actually is.

Tiger Toffee

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
For those wanting free flowing high scoring football, be careful for you wish for.

The average winning margin for a team scoring 120+ in the last 5 seasons is 67.7pts

Of the 237 instances of a winning team scoring 120+ in the last 5 years, only 35 have won by 39 pts or under.

Bigger scores does not equal better football, bigger scores equals thrashings.

For those who want open free wheeling high scoring contests, enjoy your one sided contests.

For those who don't care about tight congested football, you have more chance of viewing a close game.

Gaborone

Team Captain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwich City FC
What is happening? The AFL and Hocking will kill our game. Bruise free football. Umpires playing a bigger role in the game than they should. 100 metres penalties because of 'rules' that have nothing to do with the contest. What a joke!

Spursfan

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
What is happening? The AFL and Hocking will kill our game. Bruise free football. Umpires playing a bigger role in the game than they should. 100 metres penalties because of 'rules' that have nothing to do with the contest. What a joke!
This 50 metre protected rule is a shambles.

dumb

i shit blue
AFL Club
Carlton
Exactly.

If that isnt an example of changing something for the sake of changing it, I dont know what is.... bloody circus down at that joint.
losing the prior probably is meant to give the tall player the advantage against the midfielder. it's introduced because they're trying to preserve the ruckman role - losing the third man up hasn't completed the job as the afl had hoped, and while the tactic of simply using another midfielder against the ruckman may have come into vogue eventually, the rule changes accelerated its coming about. so here we are.

go you pups

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Moderator #100
Seen a tweet from Mick McGuane going on about that apparently the ball has to bounce after a ruckman has tapped it down in a ruck contest, meaning players can't shark hitouts anymore

Is this actually true, or is it just a trial JLT rule?

Top Bottom