Rule Changes for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be interesting to see how many of these rules remain with AFL only and don't get adopted at local footy level. The play on during a 50m will need tweaking as time on is currently applied when a 50m penalty is given. Technically you can't play on while time on has been called so they'll need to arrange it so that time on begins but if a player plays on, time is automatically restarted.

That is another whole aspect that needs addressing: timekeeping.

I agree that what you say needs to happen. But I'd almost consider doing the same for players lining up for goal and taking their 30 seconds. This would take the need for the umpire to have to decide upon calling play on early if he felt players were taking the piss and wasting time.

Thing is it is not clear cut which free kicks (including free kicks from a mark) you should stop the clock for.

Either way it's worth looking at, and taking the "time on, time off" out of the field umpires' hands gives them one less distraction from their main job.

It's fairly clear cut in that we blow time on for any excessive time delay amounting to more than say 5 seconds. Anything less looks silly and is hardly worth it.

Out of the eight or nine rule changes they've put forward I would say I'm fairly optimistic overall. The biggest rule change that I think will have an immediate impact on next year's results is definitely the kick-in. The Shaw brothers would be mightily ****** off that rule change didn't come in during their prime as it suited their game style perfectly, but definitely provides a dangerous new role to a particular set of players in the competition. I expect players like Johannisen (Bulldogs), Wilson (Freo) and Rohan (Geelong) to really relish the opportunity to utilise their speed under the new interpretation, however, I can see a few more soft tissue injuries flaring up due to the increase in top flight speed from the defensive 50.

The new ruck ruling will either be a complete disaster or huge boon for the match committee. Interested to see which ruck men will adapt to these new rules and who's performance will decline because of them as well. I can see Brodie Grundy really taking this new ruling quite well, as he handles the ball so well in the contest already. Hand-eye coordination will be crucial more than ever as I think the ruck men will now need to be more accountable with handballs and decision making in the contest. Physicality is one thing in winning the ball, but effective disposal might prove the difference in ruck dominance next year. Worried for players like Naismith (thinking about my own backyard) that just don't have the reaction time in concern to disposal by hand or foot. Regardless, I think it will add a bit of spice to the game next year and if some of the rules fail abysmally then hopefully Hocking isn't pig headed enough to persist with rules that don't work.

Out of the eight or nine rule changes they've put forward I would say I'm fairly optimistic overall. The biggest rule change that I think will have an immediate impact on next year's results is definitely the kick-in. The Shaw brothers would be mightily ****** off that rule change didn't come in during their prime as it suited their game style perfectly, but definitely provides a dangerous new role to a particular set of players in the competition. I expect players like Johannisen (Bulldogs), Wilson (Freo) and Rohan (Geelong) to really relish the opportunity to utilise their speed under the new interpretation, however, I can see a few more soft tissue injuries flaring up due to the increase in top flight speed from the defensive 50.

The new ruck ruling will either be a complete disaster or huge boon for the match committee. Interested to see which ruck men will adapt to these new rules and who's performance will decline because of them as well. I can see Brodie Grundy really taking this new ruling quite well, as he handles the ball so well in the contest already. Hand-eye coordination will be crucial more than ever as I think the ruck men will now need to be more accountable with handballs and decision making in the contest. Physicality is one thing in winning the ball, but effective disposal might prove the difference in ruck dominance next year. Worried for players like Naismith (thinking about my own backyard) that just don't have the reaction time in concern to disposal by hand or foot. Regardless, I think it will add a bit of spice to the game next year and if some of the rules fail abysmally then hopefully Hocking isn't pig headed enough to persist with rules that don't work.
I suspect he will just introduce more rules to counter the unforeseen negative effects, and there will be undesirable affects.

Im just still curious to see how 50m penalties look.

The umpires gonna be busy measuring out 50m.
The defender is gonna be trying to keep as much space to not give away another 50m.
Meanwhile - the attacker can play on at any point.
How close will defenders be able to stick to not give up a significant headstart. How early will they be allowed to tackle if an attacker comes off the line? - will the ump call it a HTB or ball up, or will it be an automatic second 50m penalty? How much leeway will an attacker have to stray off the line before play on is called? And how on earth can the umpire keep track of that when they are busy measuring 50m and the attacker is usually trailling behind them.
Such a stupid rule that is not needed and will cause nothing but confusion.

Can anyone clarify?

It is my understanding
-The defending team cannot deliberately rush a behind. Correct?
- It would appear as though the designated kicker in after a behind must not use the match ball in play, but rather retrieve a fresh one from a bag of balls behind the goals. Is this correct? or has this gone or perhaps never was a rule?
- Waiting for the goal umpire to wave flags before kick in was scrapped a long time ago. Correct?

Does the kicker-in have to wait for a whistle to commence play to kick in?

Scenario: A stoppage occurs approximately 10 metres in front of goal - ball up.

The umpire looks around wasting time to find the designated ruckman. Then more time elapse as he turns around to indicate his backwards track is clear. There is likely to be at least 12 players in the vicinity of the ball up.

The ball dribbles through for a behind. The designated kicker grabs a ball and runs straight up the guts (under the new rules). Any attacking player within 10 metres of the goal square is encroaching on the mark.

Does the umpire allow time (more wasted time) for them(attacking and defending players) to move to the larger perimeter goal ie wider than the point post and 10 metres back from the old "goal square" before signalling Okay to proceed with the designated kick-in (how?)
Or ….are the attacking team just going to have to stand like a statue and wave the kicker in past or run alongside the kicker in until they are outside the permitted tackle zone? If so doesn't that larger "square" need to be clearly measured and marked?

Pls Help?

Can anyone clarify?

It is my understanding
-The defending team cannot deliberately rush a behind. Correct?
Incorrect.
You can still rush a behind if under pressure from an opponent, and as long as you are within 9m of goal. (which was an added interpretation last year).
This is umpired quite inconsistently though. They were much harsher on it a few years, and seemed to have relaxed quite a bit recently. With the new rules I wonder if it tightens up a bit.

- It would appear as though the designated kicker in after a behind must not use the match ball in play, but rather retrieve a fresh one from a bag of balls behind the goals. Is this correct? or has this gone or perhaps never was a rule?
Incorrect.
Nothing stopping them running over the line with one ball and then running straight back into play.
I actually think the umpires prefer they use the current match ball, and I have seen players regularly pulled back after grabbing a fresh ball when the match ball is still bouncing a few metres away.

- Waiting for the goal umpire to wave flags before kick in was scrapped a long time ago. Correct?

Does the kicker-in have to wait for a whistle to commence play to kick in?
Correct. And I believe not.

Scenario: A stoppage occurs approximately 10 metres in front of goal - ball up.

The umpire looks around wasting time to find the designated ruckman. Then more time elapse as he turns around to indicate his backwards track is clear. There is likely to be at least 12 players in the vicinity of the ball up.

The ball dribbles through for a behind. The designated kicker grabs a ball and runs straight up the guts (under the new rules). Any attacking player within 10 metres of the goal square is encroaching on the mark.

Does the umpire allow time (more wasted time) for them(attacking and defending players) to move to the larger perimeter goal ie wider than the point post and 10 metres back from the old "goal square" before signalling Okay to proceed with the designated kick-in (how?)
Or ….are the attacking team just going to have to stand like a statue and wave the kicker in past or run alongside the kicker in until they are outside the permitted tackle zone? If so doesn't that larger "square" need to be clearly measured and marked?

Pls Help?

The umpire may slow the player down to make sure two balls aren't in play, but there is nothing stopping the defender from playing on immediately.
I would suggest (and pretty sure I have seen it currently) that you forego the 10m rule once you play on, and that an opponent can tackle you as soon as you run out of the goal square. There is no permitted "tackling zone". Just that, similar to a mark or free kick, if you are taking it then the defender must behind that spot. If you play on, then the defender can be wherever they want.

The only issue I have with this rule is removing the dinky kick. It may have been somewhat pointless, but it signified that the player was playing on. With the new rule, the goal square becomes basically irrelevant.

I would suggest (and pretty sure I have seen it currently) that you forego the 10m rule once you play on, and that an opponent can tackle you as soon as you run out of the goal square. There is no permitted "tackling zone". Just that, similar to a mark or free kick, if you are taking it then the defender must behind that spot. If you play on, then the defender can be wherever they want.

The only issue I have with this rule is removing the dinky kick. It may have been somewhat pointless, but it signified that the player was playing on. With the new rule, the goal square becomes basically irrelevant.

Thanks for your reply, and corrections.

I guess I'll have to wait to see how this is "interpreted".

I see no positive value in this rule adjustment but more scope for confusion.

The more important issue is the vagueness of prior opportunity and caught holding the ball and deemed incorrect disposal. The variations of "interpretation" are massive and a confusing blight on the game.

The 6 6 6 is a joke. Most good ruckman/midfielders can deliberately create a stalemate re-ball up if they want to slow the game down from a centre bounce. Back to congestion immediately.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-11/rules

Traditional playing positions at centre bounces

• Clubs must have six players inside both 50m arcs, with one player inside the goalsquare.
  • Four midfield players must start inside the centre square with the two wingmen stationed along the wing.
I'm not sure how much effect this will have on the game. Teams wanting to stack their backline will simply move their defensive players to the corners of the square so they can jump into defence as the ball is bounced. Will be interesting to see how coaches deal with this and what counter-tactics they'll use, and if it will open up play as predicted.

It will be intersting to see how much change this makes at shorter grounds, too.

Also, will the 50m arc now be painted on properly with a single white line, no numbers and no advertising?
Kick-ins

• At kick-ins, a player will no longer need to kick to himself to play on from the goalsquare.
  • Following a behind, the man on the mark will be brought out to 10m from the top of the goalsquare, rather than the existing five metres.
The goalsquare will still be effective as a 'safe-zone' for a player who needs time to spot a target, so it is still required. Without it players would be called to play on when they deviate off their line. One of my brain-farts was to have an arc from point-post to point-post rather than a square - this would allow players more choice in the direction they run to kick and give defenders a clear boundary as to where they can stand on a kick-in rather than the umpire setting the mark every time.

Marks and free kicks in defence

• When defenders mark or receive a free kick within nine metres of their own goal, the man on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goalsquare.
This will give defenders a huge advantage, especially if they mark near the point-post. The AFL want higher scores, yet most of the rules are designed to get the ball away from goals. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Runners and water carriers

• Team runners may only enter the playing surface after a goal has been kicked and must exit before play restarts.
  • Water carriers are not permitted to enter the playing surface during live play.
About time. If you need a drink, walk to the boundary line. Runners can GTFO too.

Umpire contact

• Players will be prohibited from setting up behind the umpire at centre bounces.
50m penalties
Is 'behind' defined as directly behind the umpire or can you be a little bit to one side? If players don't set up behind the umpire, will this create an inviting space for ruckmen to tap the ball into, thus putting umpire safety at more risk? Will this concentrate more players to one side of the centre square making it harder for the ball to get out? Or will there be almost no discernible change?

• The player with the ball:
  • Must be allowed to advance the mark by 50m without the infringing player delaying the game.
  • Will be able to play on while the 50m penalty is being measured out.

This is going to be the messiest one. Ostensibly it isn't a bad idea, but I can see it causing some confusion.

Currently, the protected area doesn't come into effect until the umpire sets the mark. With this new interpretation, the protected area will come into force as soon as the 50m is paid. Will the player with the ball be the 'mark' for the protected area or will it be the advancing umpire? Can see lots of teams trying to exploit this one by running into opponents as they advance on the mark, as well as players being caught out by infringing in the protected area as they try to set up or man-up. How many double 50s will come out of this?

Kicking for goal after the siren

• A player who has been awarded a mark or free kick once play has ended:
  • Will now be able to kick across their body using a snap or check-side kick
  • BUT must kick the ball directly in line with the man on the mark and the goal.
Initially I thought this might be a bad idea, however it seems that the kicker can't improve the angle but can start off his line and come round until he is on his line to kick. Not sure if this rule was necessary - the old drop punt still works pretty well - but not a hugely bad rule change.

Marking contests

• The 'hands in the back’ rule interpretation has been repealed so a player can now:
  • Place his hands on the back of his opponent to protect his position in a marking contest
  • PROVIDED he does not push his opponent in the back.

I'm going against the grain here, but I thought the interpretation of this rule was fine before they changed it to 'hands in the back'. The impetus for changing this rule initially was to somehow give forwards a better chance at marking the ball. Will this rule be adjudicated correctly every time? No, no rule will. Will players try to exploit it by diving forward? Yes, but they can do this now - any push in the back, whether by hand, forearm or body is illegal in a marking contest.

Ruck contests: prior opportunity

• A ruckman who takes direct possession of the ball from a bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in will no longer be regarded as having had prior opportunity.
  • Where there is uncertainty over who is the designated ruckman, the ruckman for each team will still be required to nominate to the field umpire.

I'm astounded they are changing this rule back. Despite what some other posters on this thread are claiming, 'touching' a ruckman who takes possession of the ball in a rucking contest does not award you a free kick, you still need to tackle them AND the player with the ball has to not make a legal disposal. Now we'll go back to the rinse-and-repeat rucking contests that the Swans loved so much. Ross Lyon and John Longmire love this rule change.

Overall, most of the changes are fairly minor. The ones that will have the greatest impact will be the kicking-out rule, the 50m penalty play on rules and the taking-it-out-of-the-ruck rule.( I suspect there will be some 'interpretation' changes surrounding HTB and the protected area to come out as well.) We'll see if these make any changes to the scoring and how teams will exploit / counteract these changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why the heck are they changing the ruckman prior opportunity rule? That can only result in more stoppages, not less.

Exactly.

If that isnt an example of changing something for the sake of changing it, I dont know what is.... bloody circus down at that joint.

I thought if they changed a throw in rule it should be if the ball goes out of bounds from a throw in, the last touch rule comes into play. My idea being it would force the ball back in to the corridor, the ruck rule seems like it will cause congestion.

Traditional playing positions at centre bounces
  • Clubs must have six players inside both 50m arcs, with one player inside the goalsquare.
Kick-ins
  • At kick-ins, a player will no longer need to kick to himself to play on from the goalsquare.
  • Following a behind, the man on the mark will be brought out to 10m from the top of the goalsquare, rather than the existing five metres.
Marks and free kicks in defence
  • When defenders mark or receive a free kick within nine metres of their own goal, the man on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goalsquare.

We dont have a goalsquare any more, in effect.

doh!!!:rolleyes:

The traditional point of the goalsquare is now gone. If you dont have to kick from within it, then from the point of a kick in, it serves no purpose. That a player has to be standing within it at the start of play has never been the point of the goalsquare, and frankly, they could have done away with it, and marked any shape they like near the posts, and said, someone needs to stand here.

The goalsquare, as it has been known, is done. A semi circle, running from point post to point post would be better for the purpose it now has.

I hate the scumbug AFL trying to pass off these changes as based off "data" like they are smarter than the public and know all this stuff we dont.

Then the data is a handful of club training sessions for 20 minutes and some lower league level games/match simulations.

Absolute rubbish justification but they take the "we know better" approach.

For data to mean anything, it has to be somewhat valid. A preseason trial should have been the absolute minimum for such drastic changes.

The traditional point of the goalsquare is now gone. If you dont have to kick from within it, then from the point of a kick in, it serves no purpose. That a player has to be standing within it at the start of play has never been the point of the goalsquare, and frankly, they could have done away with it, and marked any shape they like near the posts, and said, someone needs to stand here.

The goalsquare, as it has been known, is done. A semi circle, running from point post to point post would be better for the purpose it now has.

The designated kicker is in a safe zone whilst in the goal square. A lot of kick outs will still be from the edge of the square. The difference now is that once you leave the square you don't have to kick it to yourself first. Once you leave the square it is play on. Will only be utilised by fast moving teams on the attack. Teams trying to slow the play down will still take their 10-15 seconds before kicking out from the square as they always have.

The designated kicker is in a safe zone whilst in the goal square. A lot of kick outs will still be from the edge of the square. The difference now is that once you leave the square you don't have to kick it to yourself first. Once you leave the square it is play on. Will only be utilised by fast moving teams on the attack. Teams trying to slow the play down will still take their 10-15 seconds before kicking out from the square as they always have.
Yes, but you dont need a square for that. You could just have normal play on rules with the man on the mark put 20 m from the goal line.

Yes, but you dont need a square for that. You could just have normal play on rules with the man on the mark put 20 m from the goal line.

As somebody else in here mentioned, without the square, once the player moved off his line it's play on. The goal square still gives the kicker the entire space to change the angle of attack without risking being called to play on straight away. That hasn't changed.

I like the play on any time during the measuring of the 50. We've needed this for a while now.

They need to explain what the obligation for the defending team is though during the measuring. Does the defender have to stay behind the umpire for example? Otherwise you'd stay as close to the ball carrier as possible so you can tackle if they try to play on.

So a player "plays on" whilst the umpire is measuring out a 50m penalty but what happens if that player gets legitimately tackled within the 50m penalty area ??

Does another 50m penalty get awarded or is the tackler rewarded ??

******* dogs breakfast once again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back