Rule Changes for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if teams will use the 6-6-6 to start shaking tags.

For example Essendon could start Stringer in the middle with Z. Merrett starting forward and have them switch after the bounce and hope the other team can't get their matchups right?

From the 3 quarters I watched today in the practice game between the suns and the lions, the 6-6-6 didn’t stop any congestion what so ever. All did was make the flankers run an extra 5 meters more then they did last year at centre bounce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the 3 quarters I watched today in the practice game between the suns and the lions, the 6-6-6 didn’t stop any congestion what so ever. All did was make the flankers run an extra 5 meters more then they did last year at centre bounce.

Yeah i think will have limited impact. It does serve a good purpose though I think, by stopping coaches putting everyone behind the ball near the end of a close game and taking the fizz out of it.

Is the current rule players must wait until the ball is bounced before moving in?

If so, I fully expect the AFL to change the rule to until a player has touched the ball.

Rick infringement at centre bounce means 6 6 6 is enforced for the resulting kick. The other six mids stand around looking dumb
It’s going to be a costly infringement. Surely there won’t be milking frees?

This was the obvious outcome.

As forwards in 6 6 6, why wouldn’t all cluster in the goal square? Robert walls style? Plenty of room to lead into. If the defenders zone, just guard the drop of the ball

Were there any restrictions with numbers in the centre square when there was a free kick from the bounce? I can't ever remember that so I don't see why the players should be forced to maintain starting positions now. Are teams going to concede possession deliberately so they can flood the back line? Would that be a beneficial tactic?

Is the current rule players must wait until the ball is bounced before moving in?

If so, I fully expect the AFL to change the rule to until a player has touched the ball.

Might be harder to officiate, but I’d like it so players have to stay in their zones until the ball leaves the centre square.

Your idea might be a good compromise.

It helps at centre bounces obviously but for longer periods without scoring, obviously it won’t do much.

I think aside from the most anti change of many kind (the ‘leave the game alone’ crowd) can see that it certainly doesn’t have any negative impact.

If these changes are good to a minimal degree, then we can introduce more of the changes that were tabled as people will realize the world won’t end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early signs is the AFL has finally done something effective about congestion. Long may this early trend continue.

Oh there's a surprise Hocking and his band of mental giants have decided that the new interchange led boards can't be read due to the glare. Really they didn't trial this before the JLT.
This is not soccer where the guy stands on the sideline holding up the board as the mostly single disgruntled player trudges slowly off

Oh there's a surprise Hocking and his band of mental giants have decided that the new interchange led boards can't be read due to the glare. Really they didn't trial this before the JLT.
This is not soccer where the guy stands on the sideline holding up the board as the mostly single disgruntled player trudges slowly off

Plus in the top divs in Europe - even the A-League - they have the substitute announced over the PA. Plus there's only ever maximum 6 per 90 minutes. Terrible logic.

If they want to look at works in other sports at least look at things that are doable for our game there are far more changes out there

This. How on earth do you enforce the playing on from the goal square? If the player steps over the line when kicking in now, is that not just play on?
  • Four midfield players must start inside the centre square with the two wingmen stationed along the wing.

Early signs is the AFL has finally done something effective about congestion. Long may this early trend continue.

The kick in rule changes do to....and the rules around 50 metre penalties. They all loosen the capacity of the team without possession to slow the game down (and thus increase stoppages/congestion)

The AFL needs to be prudent when attempting to further reduce congestion though. Zones are an abomination and thus a non-starter. I like hardwick's team holding the ball suggestion.

Ultimately we are going to have to live with some congestion though. People perhaps will need to stop imagining it is far worse than it actually is.

For those wanting free flowing high scoring football, be careful for you wish for.

The average winning margin for a team scoring 120+ in the last 5 seasons is 67.7pts

Of the 237 instances of a winning team scoring 120+ in the last 5 years, only 35 have won by 39 pts or under.

Bigger scores does not equal better football, bigger scores equals thrashings.

For those who want open free wheeling high scoring contests, enjoy your one sided contests.

For those who don't care about tight congested football, you have more chance of viewing a close game.

What is happening? The AFL and Hocking will kill our game. Bruise free football. Umpires playing a bigger role in the game than they should. 100 metres penalties because of 'rules' that have nothing to do with the contest. What a joke!

What is happening? The AFL and Hocking will kill our game. Bruise free football. Umpires playing a bigger role in the game than they should. 100 metres penalties because of 'rules' that have nothing to do with the contest. What a joke!

This 50 metre protected rule is a shambles.

Exactly.

If that isnt an example of changing something for the sake of changing it, I dont know what is.... bloody circus down at that joint.

losing the prior probably is meant to give the tall player the advantage against the midfielder. it's introduced because they're trying to preserve the ruckman role - losing the third man up hasn't completed the job as the afl had hoped, and while the tactic of simply using another midfielder against the ruckman may have come into vogue eventually, the rule changes accelerated its coming about. so here we are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back