Rule changes for 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong

A 50m penalty will no longer be paid if a player fakes a handball while behind the mark, drawing their opponent off their position.

It's one of three tweaks to rule interpretations that have been made ahead of the 2023 Toyota AFL Premiership Season, with the League aiming to simplify the game for officiating, minimising delays and reducing player exploitation of rules.

The modification expected to have the greatest impact on games is around drawing a 50m penalty with a fake handball, a move used by players last season, when they would goad their opponent into moving off the mark before play on was called.

In the video below, Brisbane captain Dayne Zorko gives away a 50m penalty after moving off the mark as St Kilda forward Jack Higgins shaped to handball. This will no longer result in a 50m penalty.

Additionally, players have to make an immediate decision regarding the 5m protected area. When a player is penalised for giving away a free kick or loses a marking contest, they must stand the mark or immediately leave the protected area.

In the video below, Collingwood star Darcy Moore is not in the contest but opts to enter the protected area. He must stand the mark. The example below would now result in a 50m penalty as he has left the area after initially deciding to enter.

The third change will see players no longer given an alert by umpires at the 15-second mark of their set shot, instead receiving just a warning at 25 seconds. Players are allowed 30 seconds to start their set-shot approach.

Fairly minimal changes to the rules this year which is good to see. I think cracking down on the fake handpass is a common sense move. I guess I'd like to know more about how that will be managed. Will the player on the mark just be directed back to their spot or will the fake handpass be considered play on?

In another thread I raised that exact scenario (fake handball) and why it shouldn't be a 50m penalty. I'm actually stoked that common sense has prevailed and it's been amended.

It's a start. Now they need to remove the part you can't move backwards/back away off the mark anytime, call play on much quicker so we don't get left with a statue man on the mark while the guy with the ball gets a free kick at goal and stop the umpires having to shout 'stand' every 5 seconds and it will be fine.

I don't see why a player shouldn't be able to vacate the mark at any point.

This is the shape of the protected area:

1674798000025.png

As long as the man on the mark disengages backwards away from the ball carrier and doesn't re-approach into the protected area then they aren't impeding the ball carriers ability to do anything. If anything it provides a slight advantage to the ball carrier to take a few extra steps before kicking.

Faking handball to draw 50m is a stupid change too.

The only reason it's a 50m penalty in the first place is because players are entering the protected area before the umpire has called play-on. Players are free to anticipate the handball and play-on call, but if they pre-emptively enter the protected space before the umpire has actually called it then it's a clear 50m penalty regardless of whether it was a real/fake handball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back