Rule Changes: How Would They Impact Us??

Remove this Banner Ad

The proposed rule changes are worrying me.

We have built a game plan around winning the contested ball and we are the best at doing it in the comp at the moment. Not only that, we are the only team scoring over 100 points a game at the moment. We seem to be the only team able to escape the congestion consistently.

Now the AFL are potentially changing the whole game... how does that impact us? Do we have the list to play the style of game the AFL is looking for? There are times that we get burnt badly on transition already.

I worry that we have finally reached a point where we are challenging and our rebuild has finally taken shape only to have it destroyed by rule changes.

How do you think the following would affect us?

Potential Rule Changes:

6 men in each zone of the field at centre bounces - Our current game plan at centre bounces is built around having multiple players streaming off half back and impacting the contest. If we win and get it to one of those players it leads to a goal nearly every time.

Expanding the goal square to 18m - Once we take possession in the back 50 we are one of the top sides at moving the ball from defense into attack (currently number 1 for scoring % originating from defense). This would make it even easier for us. On the other hand, our gameplan is built around locking the ball in our forward half. This would make that harder.

Reducing the interchange rotation cap - I don't like this at all. We have recruited a bunch of smart footballers rather than athletes. The more the cap reduces the more there is a need for athletes over skilled players.

Starting positions at stoppages - I am not sure exactly how this would work.. however, I do think we have dynamic players who can both win the ball and use it well.

Apparently there are 2 other potential rules. Please let me know if you know what these are and Ill add them to the OP.

I would like to see it first before making a judgement. I'm not worried because we like all clubs will adjust. Also we may possibly benefit because our forward line may not be always congested.

Im talking guys we have recruited in thr Clayton oliver and charlie spargo mould... more pure footballers rather than marathon runners with zero skill

I think it’s likely to make a former number one draft pick of ours a much more valuable player at AFL level, which you have to laugh at in a perverse, fisted forever sort of way. Congestion was Jack Watts kryptonite. Give him some space to use his pace and he’ll be a really hard match up for oppositions. If they dramatically reduce congestion Watts will be a gun I reckon.

With regard to us, I think it will expose our lack of pace, so we will have to go with Hunt, Garlett, Frost each week regardless. It probably puts a nail in the coffin of Vince, Tyson and Lewis who’s lack of pace will be even more exposed in open play.
On the flip side, winning the ball is always the most important skill in footy and we will be well served by the number of good ball winners we’ve gathered. They will have to have big tanks with reduced interchange so I can see ANB playing lots more in the guts. And Trac playing a lot less.
Power forwards will be licking their lips too as presumably they’ll be getting more one out contests. This will expose our defence. OMAC is still skinny, Lever is an intercept defender which is almost the exact sort of play the AFL are trying to get rid of, and Frost is not great one out.
Dunn and Watts would be handy next season...

I think it’s likely to make a former number one draft pick of ours a much more valuable player at AFL level, which you have to laugh at in a perverse, fisted forever sort of way. Congestion was Jack Watts kryptonite. Give him some space to use his pace and he’ll be a really hard match up for oppositions. If they dramatically reduce congestion Watts will be a gun I reckon.

Will probably get him back for pick 50 if you're keen.

At best, Watts has been an occasionally effective player. It's going to take a lot more than a few rule tweaks to make him a tough match up for the opposition. Just put someone with a bit of pace and half a body on him and he's 2/3 of the way towards having a quiet game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The proposed rule changes are worrying me.

We have built a game plan around winning the contested ball and we are the best at doing it in the comp at the moment. Not only that, we are the only team scoring over 100 points a game at the moment. We seem to be the only team able to escape the congestion consistently.

Now the AFL are potentially changing the whole game... how does that impact us? Do we have the list to play the style of game the AFL is looking for? There are times that we get burnt badly on transition already.

I worry that we have finally reached a point where we are challenging and our rebuild has finally taken shape only to have it destroyed by rule changes.

How do you think the following would affect us?

Potential Rule Changes:

6 men in each zone of the field at centre bounces - Our current game plan at centre bounces is built around having multiple players streaming off half back and impacting the contest. If we win and get it to one of those players it leads to a goal nearly every time.

Expanding the goal square to 18m - Once we take possession in the back 50 we are one of the top sides at moving the ball from defense into attack (currently number 1 for scoring % originating from defense). This would make it even easier for us. On the other hand, our gameplan is built around locking the ball in our forward half. This would make that harder.

Reducing the interchange rotation cap - I don't like this at all. We have recruited a bunch of smart footballers rather than athletes. The more the cap reduces the more there is a need for athletes over skilled players.

Starting positions at stoppages - I am not sure exactly how this would work.. however, I do think we have dynamic players who can both win the ball and use it well.

Apparently there are 2 other potential rules. Please let me know if you know what these are and Ill add them to the OP.
Could you please refrain from posting until that avatar and sig bet expires?

They'd impact us because they'd have one less member.

I can't abide zones. It's not footy any more with zones, it's some other sport. Might as well just get it over with and call it AFLX.

It'd be enough for me to just not bother any more. They've stuffed around with it enough and this relentless pursuit of the perfect 'spectacle' is so anti-footy it's not funny.

Guarantee you they will bring these rules in, then 5 years later they will be bringing a bunch of other rules in to counter the effects that these rules they brought in had on the game that no one thought of.

LEAVE IT ALONE

They'd impact us because they'd have one less member.

I can't abide zones. It's not footy any more with zones, it's some other sport. Might as well just get it over with and call it AFLX.

It'd be enough for me to just not bother any more. They've stuffed around with it enough and this relentless pursuit of the perfect 'spectacle' is so anti-footy it's not funny.

Guarantee you they will bring these rules in, then 5 years later they will be bringing a bunch of other rules in to counter the effects that these rules they brought in had on the game that no one thought of.

LEAVE IT ALONE
Yeah, I couldn’t possibly agree more with this post. If anything they should actually be binning most of the new rules brought in over the last few years!

Yeah, I couldn’t possibly agree more with this post. If anything they should actually be binning most of the new rules brought in over the last few years!
Binning the new rules would be ideal but it boggles the mind the AFL don't even attempt to fix them first- the protected zone rule is shambolic.

Binning the new rules would be ideal but it boggles the mind the AFL don't even attempt to fix them first- the protected zone rule is shambolic.
did you watch the Bombers Sydney game? the exact reason the protected area was brought in was to stop what Tippa did ran around the man with the ball by a couple metres he played on and Tippa smothered it. it was the clearest free kick for that rule i have ever seen yet not 1 single mention of it being a freekick.. if anything he got praised for the smother. the rule is a joke

Well at least there is no doubt that when the AFL talk about “stakeholders “ they are not including the players and supporters, members etc. Change some rules just before finals , have some teams play these rules but not others , never mind a possible impact on draft positions and Brownlow votes , but to actually keep a straight face while trying this on is sadly hilarious, or hilariously sad . When Caro pointed this out , the best hutchy could do was attack her integrity on this topic. It appears public opinion has forced them to back off to trialing it the vfl ( 1 game) , so * the integrity of that comp I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back