Rule changes or longer breaks

Remove this Banner Ad

docko911

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
If the AFL are so committed to making more money for their tv rights holders, why don’t they just increase the amount of time between goals from 30 seconds to 45 seconds/1 minute? Yes this will add around 10 minutes to the length of games but at least we won’t have to put up with stupid rule changes.

It will also give those watching at home more time to;
- get a snack
- attend the lavatory
- crack another cold one, or
- a real quickie for those capable

I like the game now, I’d like it even more without stupid 50m penalties, contact below the knees, designated ruckman etc. But I wouldn’t like it with any new rules.

Please someone with more time and effort than myself take this fight to the AFL and prevent the devils erect penis from becoming gospel in the AFL Rule Book.

Don't make the break between goals longer because thats a ******* dumb idea.

Why? I honestly don't think we would notice.
At home its one more ad. At the game its an extra 30seconds to praise, or complain, about the goal just scored and see the highlights on the screen... How often do you miss the centre bounce coz you're still talking about the goal?

Im not particularly for or against, i just dont think its a particularly bad idea. And if, by way of increasing revenue, stops other s**t changes (though I doubt it will)- then why not considet it?

My only condition would be under the premise that all score reviews happen within that minute (unless there's serious doubt requiring multiple views).

If the AFL are so committed to making more money for their tv rights holders, why don’t they just increase the amount of time between goals from 30 seconds to 45 seconds/1 minute? Yes this will add around 10 minutes to the length of games but at least we won’t have to put up with stupid rule changes.

It will also give those watching at home more time to;
- get a snack
- attend the lavatory
- crack another cold one, or
- a real quickie for those capable

I like the game now, I’d like it even more without stupid 50m penalties, contact below the knees, designated ruckman etc. But I wouldn’t like it with any new rules.

Please someone with more time and effort than myself take this fight to the AFL and prevent the devils erect penis from becoming gospel in the AFL Rule Book.

Get rid of the clock and breaks and play out the match until it's last man standing. Say after 8 hours there's only 1 player left and his team is 30pts behind. He still has to kick those goals which would be a lot more challenging than you think.

Get rid of the clock and breaks and play out the match until it's last man standing. Say after 8 hours there's only 1 player left and his team is 30pts behind. He still has to kick those goals which would be a lot more challenging than you think.
There’s an air of Jeffrey about your suggestion.

I like it.

I’m picturing a MFC game with Gawn the last one left who can stand up.

Max taps down..hobbles over to pick the pill up and proceeds to jog down bouncing to the square and dribble it over the line for a major...does it 6 times and the collapses into coma on the ground with the other 35 players.

Max taps down..hobbles over to pick the pill up and proceeds to jog down bouncing to the square and dribble it over the line for a major...does it 6 times and the collapses into coma on the ground with the other 35 players.
The AFL have a lot to answer for due to the rotation cap.

They’re robbing us of longer, and therefore more exciting games :(

There’s an air of Jeffrey about your suggestion.

I like it.

I like this one from Jeffrey going back many moons ago.

The old...I feel sorry for him but also want him dead kinda post.

“Many thought Brisbane could not go any lower than their behaviour during there premiership years but I reckon they have reached a new low.

This week, Nigel Lappin will miss his 4th straight game with a recurring ankle injury. I feel sorry for him and I understand the club wanting to take attention away from him. BUT the Brisbane coach blaming his injury on an opposition player is below the belt and Leigh should feel ashamed of himself for dirtying Luke Hodge's name by accusing him of something he did not do.

Can't wait until the Hawks play the Lions next, Hodge is going to take it out on the team. Hopefully next time he takes out Lappin for real.”

I like this one from Jeffrey going back many moons ago.

The old...I feel sorry for him but also want him dead kinda post.

“Many thought Brisbane could not go any lower than their behaviour during there premiership years but I reckon they have reached a new low.

This week, Nigel Lappin will miss his 4th straight game with a recurring ankle injury. I feel sorry for him and I understand the club wanting to take attention away from him. BUT the Brisbane coach blaming his injury on an opposition player is below the belt and Leigh should feel ashamed of himself for dirtying Luke Hodge's name by accusing him of something he did not do.

Can't wait until the Hawks play the Lions next, Hodge is going to take it out on the team. Hopefully next time he takes out Lappin for real.”
The AFL got pretty bloody close to bringing his telescopic pointer brainchild to life when they started televising the top ten picks in a countdown format.

Does anyone else think draft picks are done in the wrong order. All other sporting contests culmitate in the championship match. ALmost all great sporting contests end with the Final. Why do the AFL start with the Number 1 draft pick and then go on to worse players. There is no climax to the draft. It peters out as worse and worse players are chosen, the longer it goes.

Wouldn't the draft be more interesting if they started with pick 79 and worked its way up to Pick no 1? As the event went on, the expectation would build. Who will be Top 10? Who will be number 1? etc. Perhaps this is why the draft does not have prime time TV coverage? I reckon my basic change would make it a better TV event.
You could do it that way, but I think there are two better ways.

1. You can only pick certain players with certain picks.

eg with picks 55 to 80 you can only pick one of the following:
a) Pass
b) player who should have retired long ago but fills a desperate need for a ruckman or full back
c) a 22 year old "late developer" from the the Riverina or Easter Districts league that no-one has ever heard of.

With picks 30-55
a) if you are a victorian team you select a player that played every TAC Cup match, made the Rep squad, but is already built like a man and has little room for improvement.
b) if you are a northern states team, you must select a local player that has no hope of making the grade but gives the allusion that you are supporting local talent.
c) if you are a team from Western or South Australia, you must select a player that you have hidden in the bush all year or kept from playing Finals footy in the local league due to an "injury" (unless of course you have hidden them so well that you think you can get them in the Rookie Draft).

With Picks 20-30 you must select:
a) a player that has missed large chunks of the season through injury.

With picks 10-20 you must:
a) trade your pick away if you are Sydney
b) pick an athlete with limited football knowledge
c) pick a guy with great football skils but weighs under 70kg.

With a TOp 10 pick teams rarely pick for need, usually picking the "best available player". If we reverse the order of the draft, teams must simply pick the worst available player.

Simple system that should work well for TV. Or the other way you could do it:

2. All the teams representatives sit at desks arranged in a circle. Each team has a long telescopic pointer. If a club reads out the name of a player that another team wants to draft later, that team subtly taps the guy reading the name out on the head with the pointer and he reads another name.
If only us mortals had such insight :(

What if he kicks a point?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone here considered extending the natural breaks in the game. Ie extending the half time and 1/4 and 3/4 breaks.
5 mins added to the 20 mins at half time and 2 mins to 1/4 and 3 mins to the 3/4 time break would be easy and not probably even noticed. I think the GF 1/2 time break is already extended to 30 mins to fit the "entertainment' in!

Wow... that’s too long

In reality scoring is probably only down 20-30% so an extra 15 seconds is more than enough.
Scoring is down 6% on last year that could be an seasonal anomaly, on the previous three years it is down 3%

To put it into perspective Between 2007 and 2013 when they started ******* around with the rules it went down 5 % , it has gone down fromm2000 by about 12 % again when they started to * around with the rules,

Let’s see how far down the rules bring the scoring to

Am still struggling with having a massively long goal square...

Is that really going to make a huge difference???

Yes, I agree, probably not.
Perhaps they could have the extended part of the "square" marked with broken lines/dots. Then within the original square, the kicker can take a kick or play on by kicking to themselves as we currently know. However if they choose to use the extended box, they are restricted to a kick out. [for interest sake, lets make it a compulsory drop kick!]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back