Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
http://www.cricket.com.au/news/icc-announces-changes-to-odi-cricket-after-barbados-summit/2015-06-27

Rule changes affecting 50-over one-day and Twenty20 international cricket matches will take effect from July 5.

The International Cricket Council says the aim is to restore the balance between bat and ball after this year's World Cup in Australia and New Zealand yielded the largest number of 300 and even 400-plus totals at the ICC's showpiece tournament.

From July 5, five fielders will be allowed outside the 30-yard circle between the 41st and 50th overs, rather than the current four.

Meanwhile there will be no compulsory catchers from the first to the 10th over in ODIs and no batting powerplays will be allowed between the 15th and 40th overs.

In both ODI and T20 internationals, all no-balls, not just foot faults, will lead to a free hit.

I like going back to 5 outside the circle at the end. Maybe they are trying to do things gradually, but more does need to be done.
Bat sizes especially, but that's not really a playing condition of limited overs cricket so much as the Laws of the game and so outside that review.

Going back to one ball, possibly modifying the over limits for bowlers (I'm in two minds on that though, allowing more overs for some bowlers might allow teams to fit an extra batsman in the line up as the part-timer is less important) and a few other things are limited overs specific.

Minor tweaking of the fielding rules won't change much. Stop preparing flatter-than-Nicole-Richie pitches.

Although I'd like to see 'power plays' * off all together. First 15 overs, two fielders allowed out. 5 for the rest of the innings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back