Rules: Hand balling back over head

Remove this Banner Ad

It is impossible to legally handball the ball back over your head. The ball must be hit off the palm of your hand, otherwise it is a throw.

Why is this action not regularly penalised ?.

A throw is a throw.

It is totally possible to be holding the ball in one hand and perform a legal handball over your head, though that isn't to say that all attempts to do so are within the rules.

It is impossible to legally handball the ball back over your head. The ball must be hit off the palm of your hand, otherwise it is a throw.

A throw is a throw.
The only way to legally handball over your head is to hold the ball over your head and punch it off the stationery holding hand a la Russell Ebert. Umpires are dickheads.

Hows it impossible?

Think about how a waiter might hold a tray with their wrist cocked backwards with their palm up and slightly sideways. Put ball on there. Use other fist to punch it in uppercut motion.

Over the head handball.

A throw is a throw.

Do us a favour. Grab any ball and hold it above your head. Now with your other hand make a fist and punch it behind you right off the palm of your hand.

If you can't do this then you're either physically handicapped (in which case I'm sorry) or you're an idiot. Judging by the fact you started this thread my money is on the latter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do us a favour. Grab any ball and hold it above your head. Now with your other hand make a fist and hit it behind you right off the palm of your hand.

If you can't do this then you're either physically handicapped (in which case I'm sorry) or you're an idiot. Judging by the fact you started this thread my money is on the latter.

TBH he may have really small hands so he can't grip an adult sized football, in which case the momentum effect could overcome it anyhow.

While it may be anatomically possible to do, it is close to impossible to do it at the speeds players release handballs. I reckon 99% of these over-the-head handballs aren’t technically legal. Having said that, I reckon a fairly hefty proportion of all handballs aren’t technically correct if that entails hitting the ball off the palm of the hand.

Dont nerf Titch
They finally got him today.

Not all of his overhead handballs are what I consider a throw. But some certainly are. And the one he did today was a huge throw.

When the momentum of the handball is largely created by throwing both arms up and not by fisting the ball then it's a throw.

Think it's another rule relaxed to allow faster ball movement.

Which then begs the question? Is it actually created quicker ball movement or would it be better if the player throwing it over his head often to no one was forced to either kick or be caught holding the ball?

Just like dropping the ball on contact, if you move the ball on then yeah there's less stoppages but not necessarily any more clean play.

I'm sure in the 70's and 80's this was always penalised. Was there a rule change some time in the 90's or 2000's? Very common in today's game, and I agree with OP, many of them look like throws. Shane Edwards, as much as I love him, is the master.

I remember it being penalised within the current decade so I don't think there's been a rule change, they've just stopped penalising it.

Handball over the head is fine and happend once or twice a game. What needs fixing is that the umps will allow throws in certain stages of the game and then pay everything illegal at others

Remove this Banner Ad

Back