Resource Rules, Regulations and Resources for Player Movements in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Alright.

Now, what happens if an uncontracted player doesn't nominate for the draft? Their contract expires at the end of said draft. Are they then eligible for the SSP?

That would look remarkably like total free agency.
SSP is only if they’ve spent a year out of the game after delisting themselves, retiring or being delisted by their club OR if they nominated for the most recent draft and don’t get picked up (and haven’t signed with a club to play as an overager in an U18s league).

If they are delisted by their club then they’re a DFA anyway which is much simpler, and once a free agent always a free agent as of the latest rule change.

So I think not eligible in the SSP immediately following the conclusion of their contract without going through the draft first.

Player Contracts and Stats New

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
The following was originally posted here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...agents-other-stats-live-spreadsheets.1207363/

Contract and Stats – Auto-Updating Spreadsheet

(May take a few seconds to load up)

Two years ago, Taylor and I created a series of spreadsheets tracking player contract, age, height and related data across the entire league.

These spreadsheets draw data from footywire, and are as up to date as footywire is on any given day. Over the off-season things tend to get a bit out of date, as footywire inevitably struggles to keep up with the news as players re-sign, are delisted, retire or change clubs.

Contracts and Free Agency Status

This information is also broken down into individual teams, which are pinned in each of the following club focus threads:

Adelaide
Brisbane Lions
Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
Fremantle
Geelong
Gold Coast
GWS
Hawthorn
Melbourne
North Melbourne
Port Adelaide
Richmond
St Kilda
Sydney
West Coast
Western Bulldogs

Player Age by Club

Player Height by Club

Career Games by Club

Season Games by Club

Contract Lengths by Club

Premiership Teams of the last decade

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BEaston

Hungry
Oct 9, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Great thread Lore, thanks for putting it all together.

Can you or someone else explain how some clubs have more than 44 players on their list (not including Cat-B rookies).

For example:
Gold Coast - 40 seniors + 7 Cat-A Rookies
West Coast - 40 + 7
Hawthorn - 40 + 7
Carlton - 39 + 6
Essendon - 39 + 6

Taylor

Community Leader
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Can you or someone else explain how some clubs have more than 44 players on their list (not including Cat-B rookies).

For example:
West Coast - 40 + 7
Hawthorn - 40 + 7
Carlton - 39 + 6
Essendon - 39 + 6
I think you're counting the category B rookies in there. Gold Coast is allowed extra rookies though. International/Alternative talent/NGA etc send players to category B list under conditions.

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon

For example:
West Coast - 40 + 7
Hawthorn - 40 + 7
Carlton - 39 + 6
Essendon - 39 + 6
All of those numbers you've quoted would include category B rookies. Any discrepancies would most likely be due to players being placed on the inactive list, which opens up additional category A rookie spots.

So for example, Essendon had 40 senior listed players this year, 39 are active and 1 is inactive. We put Lachlan Johnson on the inactive list as soon as we drafted him due to having a long term injury (ACL) which opened up an extra spot, which we used on a category A rookie. We could also have gone with 40+4 instead of 39+5 and recruited someone to the senior list instead of a rookie. We also have two category B rookies for a total of 47.

Players can also be moved to the inactive list if they've retired over the pre-season, for example.

BEaston

Hungry
Oct 9, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No, as I said, I wasn't counting Cat B rookies.
Using Bombers as an example; McQuillan and McBride are Cat-B which were not included in the 6 I mentioned (Draper, Snelling, Townsend, Hibberd, Hird, Crauford). The same applied to the other teams I mentioned. West Coast have 0 Cat-B rookies, but 7 Cat-A.

Putting Gold Coast aside, it seems a bit odd that teams might have up to 3 inactive players on their list. Noting it can only be done preseason before the drafts as there was no mid-season rookie draft this year.

Do you know if Inactive players are tracked anywhere?

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
No, as I said, I wasn't counting Cat B rookies.
Using Bombers as an example; McQuillan and McBride are Cat-B which were not included in the 6 I mentioned (Draper, Snelling, Townsend, Hibberd, Hird, Crauford). The same applied to the other teams I mentioned. West Coast have 0 Cat-B rookies, but 7 Cat-A.

Putting Gold Coast aside, it seems a bit odd that teams might have up to 3 inactive players on their list. Noting it can only be done preseason before the drafts as there was no mid-season rookie draft this year.

Do you know if Inactive players are tracked anywhere?
Draper is on the senior list. Hird is Category B from an alternative talent pathway (he pursued soccer as a teen). One of the Irishmen is Category A, I forget which. You can only put one Irishman on the Category B list at a time.

I'd say wherever your info is from is not quite accurate.

BEaston

Hungry
Oct 9, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Draper is on the senior list. Hird is Category B from an alternative talent pathway (he pursued soccer as a teen). One of the Irishmen is Category A, I forget which. You can only put one Irishman on the Category B list at a time.

I'd say wherever your info is from is not quite accurate.
Fair enough, I guess I'm going off some outdated info.

Top Bottom