Roast Rumour - Doncaster East embargo

so there's a rumour on the main board that actually sounds plausible. apparently doncaster east are not releasing sam rowe. apparently they want 100k in compo. their club "president" apparently said on SEN they want 200k. so apparently he hasn't been able to play for us yet.

surely this can't be true. what kind of a *in club does that. 100k fmd. i don't think he's even lined up for them yet!!! they sound like a special bunch!!!

anyone heard anything?

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Hopefully. We then have to go for someone else. Marlion Pickett. We have enough big defenders. Need more run. Could be a blessing in disguise.

Funny, I was just trying to remember what the name of Tatts Parker's stablemate was and wondering why we didn't rookie him. The only reason I could come up with was that the club wanted to completely sever the Predator's links to his homeland, so allow him to immerse himself in his new start. As much potential as Marlion showed and how it might be nice to have a friendly face in a foreign land, I couldn't really argue with the concept of a clean break.

It'll be interesting to see how the club and the Predator approach his return to WA this weekend.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
At some point in time the AFL must have had some formula for compensation paid to clubs, the way I see it is it’s their problem to sort out.

Plugger is right, Sam Rowe is a massive loss at that level. He’s good enough with his size and experience to be a game changer at that level and he would have been on decent money. I have been told that it’s not unusual for players nowhere near a good as him to get $1500 a game and he would have been contracted to them.

They have to go out on the eve of the season and find another big man presumably and pay enough cash to get him to jump ship to their club. It might not matter to us but at east Doncaster their season just got torpedoed, probably would have been an unofficial coaching assistant like Sammy fisher is at St Kilda city as well.

Pay what the AFL negotiates and get creative, offer to send Sam and a player or two to a couple of club functions or take training for a couple of the underage teams.

Masquerade

All Australian
Mar 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is AFL
footy. Not even sure what level this Doncaster club plays at.

If the VFL clubs etc can recognize what an opportunity it is to get a chance to be on an AFL list surely this fellow can too. They don’t deserve a cent in compensation.

I’m sick of people continually finding out club to kick around because they think we’ll fold.

I hear their pres on SEN maybe 2 weeks ago, he said they had a sponsor on board because of Rowe and had been expecting more members etc because he had signed.

He stated he hadnt spoken to the Saints or the AFL but had expected to soon, they asked him if he wanted compo he said yes about $100k at least for all the effort they had put into the player. He was very nice about it and wasnt demanding anything, he said lets see what happens over the next few weeks.

Should of gone for Parkers mate in W.A

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
This is AFL
footy. Not even sure what level this Doncaster club plays at.

If the VFL clubs etc can recognize what an opportunity it is to get a chance to be on an AFL list surely this fellow can too. They don’t deserve a cent in compensation.

I’m sick of people continually finding out club to kick around because they think we’ll fold.

That is such an arrogant post. We know it’s afl but these clubs don’t have big budgets and if they lose the player they have built their season around they deserve compensation. Also if these senior clubs don’t exist then the junior clubs may not and then there is no afl. And as if they are having a go at us because they think we will fold. Need to get the chip off the shoulder. And maybe get down to your local club. They are fantastic places to be tgen you will realise the importance of these clubs in the community

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
That is such an arrogant post. We know it’s afl but these clubs don’t have big budgets and if they lose the player they have built their season around they deserve compensation. Also if these senior clubs don’t exist then the junior clubs may not and then there is no afl. And as if they are having a go at us because they think we will fold. Need to get the chip off the shoulder. And maybe get down to your local club. They are fantastic places to be tgen you will realise the importance of these clubs in the community
Tough for their club. No idea what they can do to replace him when they were all set for the season..

Just give them $100k and say thanks for being so understanding and move on. We don't need the distraction.

Funny, I was just trying to remember what the name of Tatts Parker's stablemate was and wondering why we didn't rookie him. The only reason I could come up with was that the club wanted to completely sever the Predator's links to his homeland, so allow him to immerse himself in his new start. As much potential as Marlion showed and how it might be nice to have a friendly face in a foreign land, I couldn't really argue with the concept of a clean break.

It'll be interesting to see how the club and the Predator approach his return to WA this weekend.

I think Parks looks to be a pretty self motivated individual by the sound of it. Family seems to be his big motivator. I think Marlion sounds like he was a big influence in creating belief in Parker but maybe just doesn't seem like he'd cope in Melbourne with out the same motivation to create a future that Parker has. I'd love to give him a go if he thought he could do it.

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think Parks looks to be a pretty self motivated individual by the sound of it. Family seems to be his big motivator. I think Marlion sounds like he was a big influence in creating belief in Parker but maybe just doesn't seem like he'd cope in Melbourne with out the same motivation to create a future that Parker has. I'd love to give him a go if he thought he could do it.
Parks, Gresh, Long would be a great influence on him. Has talent if can be harnessed.

Parks, Gresh, Long would be a great influence on him. Has talent if can be harnessed.

Alan Murray is down at the club for the indigenous boys too. He was always a very good role model when he was at the Saints, he was big on doing charity work and helping out in the community. The Clarke brothers and him had their own foundation back in the day.

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

Pickett is also a felon... I know we're breaking away from the good boy mould but that's pretty extreme too.

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not at all concerned about getting Rowe as would have preferred another quick outside mid.
Its pretty clear the Saints chose Rowe purely as a backup to cover Carlisle being out for the year.

However, points of note for me are.....

The Saints didn't make the rule and simply did as they were allowed to by the AFL in choosing Rowe.
Rowe wants to play at highest level again like every player dreams of.
The EDFC has a contract with Rowe and sponsors based around Rowe coming to the club and being part of season 2019.
The EDFC may not be able to replace Rowe at this time in their leagues rules.
The EDFC would struggle to find another Rowe type who is not already signed up at another club.
The EDFC has virtually asked for ransom money from the Saints.
The AFL rule I am assuming has no payment to lower league club requests.
The EDFC may not look so attractive to other AFL discards in the future if they know they will face a restraint of trade issue if an AFL club calls them with a lifeline.
Holding Rowe to his contract may also be viewed as a restraint of trade prohibiting the player from maximising his possible income.
The Death Star made this rule and the mid season draft rule with seemingly no consultation or buy in from lower leagues. Foolish to not engage stakeholders in this.
Also worth noting assistant coaches are never held back if they land a senior coach gig.

Amateur hour but...

I'm sure the AFL's own professional journalist (I use that term very loosely) the Irrelevant Purple Flog will find a way to slag off the Saints as usual.

Last edited:
Not at all concerned about getting Rowe as would have preferred another quick outside mid.
Its pretty clear the Saints chose Rowe purely as a backup to cover Carlisle being out for the year.

However, points of note for me are.....

The Saints didn't make the rule and simply did as they were allowed to by the AFL in choosing Rowe.
Rowe wants to play at highest level again like every player dreams of.
The EDFC has a contract with Rowe and sponsors based around Rowe coming to the club and being part of season 2019.
The EDFC may not be able to replace Rowe at this time in their leagues rules.
The EDFC would struggle to find another Rowe type who is not already signed up at another club.
The EDFC has virtually asked for ransom money from the Saints.
The AFL rule I am assuming has no payment to lower league club requests.
The EDFC may not look so attractive to other AFL discards in the future if they know they will face a restraint of trade issue if an AFL club calls them with a lifeline.
Holding Rowe to his contract may also be viewed as a restraint of trade prohibiting the player from maximising his possible income.
The Death Star made this rule and the mid season draft rule with seemingly no consultation or buy in from lower leagues. Foolish to not engage stakeholders in this.
Also worth noting assistant coaches are never held back if they land a senior coach gig.

Amateur hour but...

I'm sure the AFL's own professional journalist (I use that term very loosely) the Irrelevant Purple Flog will find a way to slag off the Saints as usual.

The EDFC can EAD. Give them a slab and tell them to * off back to the burbs.

Back