Competitions Run home [Race for the 8]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make the finals and certain we will be playing on Saturday night - Unless we play Sydney - Fairly certain that the lowest drawing game will be played either Sat or Sun arvo.

I hope so.

With West Coast playing Saturday night in round 24 you'd think that they'd get a longer break over Carlton and whoever finishes 6th as they are the higher placed team, meaning they'd play Collingwood on Sunday afternoon. That seems logical to me, but you know what the AFL are like...

I hope so.

With West Coast playing Saturday night in round 24 you'd think that they'd get a longer break over Carlton and whoever finishes 6th as they are the higher placed team, meaning they'd play Collingwood on Sunday afternoon. That seems logical to me, but you know what the AFL are like...

That would mean if West Coast lose they would only get a maximum 6 day break plus having to fly back to Perth for the following weeks final. There is no chance the Eagles Pies game will be on the Sunday.

Let's not get too overconfident... weren't people saying we'd get killed by Geelong not that long ago?

The most dangerous opponent is one who's got absolutely nothing to lose.

Let's not get too overconfident... weren't people saying we'd get killed by Geelong not that long ago?

The most dangerous opponent is one who's got absolutely nothing to lose.

The key difference is that we have everything to gain.

As long as the players aren't complacent, I don't see how spectators being confident is a bad thing.

This game could be the difference between playing finals or not. If the players don't go hell for leather, it'd be grossly disappointing.

What is your problem with North supporters thinking we will lose to Port, Macca?

You've been shitting yourself about this game since Saturday.
agreed
Why even acknowledge North?

They'll start thinking there's a rivalry between the two clubs or something.
THey think that already
all this 'beating port by 100' talk is dangerous - we should win but...
We WILL win. ME and a bunch of fat 12 year-olds could beat them.

North will beat St. Kilda. Mark My words

I still think we're a half-chance to get 7th... Saturday night's alright

Hoping for Saturday night as I have a family function on the Sunday.

If we play Sydney it'll be Saturday night. If we play the Saints it'll probably be Sunday afternoon as Carlton will play Sydney at Etihad on the Saturday night.

I'm starting to waver on my desire to play Carlton in week 1 now that more and more players become unavailable.....i always said i wanted to face up to the blues with something like a full list (minus the 6 or 7 that were already ruled out for the year), but as more players become unavailable the last thing i want to do is go in with a weak side and be smashed by Carlton.

Our leading goal kicker in Crameri now gone for the year, and the club has announced they're taking the hard line and our best small defender is also out for the year. :mad:

The last thing we need to rely on in a final is Slattery v's Betts in a pivotal match up.

Starting to show similarities of 2009 when we went in with a shell of a side and were polaxed....embarrassing enough, but i think we'd all struggle to cope with it from Carlton. :eek:

Very pleased we've improved to the degree that we can make the finals at all under the circumstances, but with each key player that goes down, with it goes my optimism for a fairytail win over the blues - i guess for me it's now a case of let's beat the Power and for Christ sake get through unscathed, and let the chips fall where they may from there.....

but i think we'd all struggle to cope with it from Carlton. :eek:

Not really. As long as they have a real crack at it I wouldn't be disappointed. We're not tilting at the flag this year - Carlton are/were, though. All the pressure would be on them, whereas we would just be happy to be there, in essence.

8th losing to 5th? C'est la vie.

5th losing to 8th? Frothing, hilarious rage.

I'm starting to waver on my desire to play Carlton in week 1 now that more and more players become unavailable.....i always said i wanted to face up to the blues with something like a full list (minus the 6 or 7 that were already ruled out for the year), but as more players become unavailable the last thing i want to do is go in with a weak side and be smashed by Carlton.

Our leading goal kicker in Crameri now gone for the year, and the club has announced they're taking the hard line and our best small defender is also out for the year. :mad:

The last thing we need to rely on in a final is Slattery v's Betts in a pivotal match up.

Starting to show similarities of 2009 when we went in with a shell of a side and were polaxed....embarrassing enough, but i think we'd all struggle to cope with it from Carlton. :eek:

Very pleased we've improved to the degree that we can make the finals at all under the circumstances, but with each key player that goes down, with it goes my optimism for a fairytail win over the blues - i guess for me it's now a case of let's beat the Power and for Christ sake get through unscathed, and let the chips fall where they may from there.....
Yeah I've been thinking the same.

I wanted another shot, well a shot, at Carlton with 80% of our list to choose from. We're not gonna get that, and will struggle to beat them now.

Give us St Kilda or Sydney, I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wanted another shot, well a shot, at Carlton with 80% of our list to choose from. We're not gonna get that, and will struggle to beat them now.

Buddy! I don't think Carlton are as formidable as the media make them out to be. I say put Reimers on Judd, tell him to stick to Judd like Tarzan's Grip, and talk to him for the entire game (like Sheedy used to), and Carlton can be beaten just like any other final's team.

They're beatable, definitely.

But they're pretty decent. We won't beat them with 5-10 of our important players missing.

I agree with this. I was looking forward to Hardingham on Betts and Hibbered on Garlett. That wont happen now, well half wont. Crameri without a proper match up, that wont happen now. Watson and Hocking playing and a full compliment of KPPs to choose from.

Actually come to think of it, if Watson, Hocking, Hurley, Pears, Ryder and Fletch can all play well and we get good support efforts from everyone else we are still a better then 45% chance of beating them. Hooker might not be the liability if he's coming in to play on Waite. If Waite doesn't play then I wouldn't play Hooker.

NLM told to tackle everyone like they're Kerr!!!

I agree with this. I was looking forward to Hardingham on Betts and Hibbered on Garlett. That wont happen now, well half wont. Crameri without a proper match up, that wont happen now. Watson and Hocking playing and a full compliment of KPPs to choose from.

Actually come to think of it, if Watson, Hocking, Hurley, Pears, Ryder and Fletch can all play well and we get good support efforts from everyone else we are still a better then 45% chance of beating them. Hooker might not be the liability if he's coming in to play on Waite. If Waite doesn't play then I wouldn't play Hooker.

NLM told to tackle everyone like they're Kerr!!!

NLM----->Judd, in similar fasion to Lloyd------>Sewel. :thumbsu:
Maybe even Wallis------>Hanna style!!! :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Who are all the players that will be out?, as far as i can see only Cramers & Hibba will be missing. Pretty close to full strengh really

Looking at our injury list now, for first week of finals we'd only have Crameri, Dempsey, and Winderlich out of our definite starting 22, with Lonergan closely behind and Prismall a bit back from that.

I don't think the 80% statement is genuinely accurate, considering we always knew Dempsey, Winderlich, Prismall and Lonergan would be out, Long was never realistic, and the likes of Colyer, Pears and Hurley should be fine for that game.

Essentially, we've taken Crameri out of our estimations from a week ago. We've had it much worse, although I recognise that Crameri is a big loss and the likes of Hurley and Pears won't be fully fit, I think you're exaggerating the situation if you're saying that will be the difference between losing or beating Carlton.

See above.

Not including Gumbleton, that's 8 guys in our "best side", or at the very least, guys that would be playing now.

We'll even exclude Hibberd for arguments sake, as we've got Slattery instead if we want.

That's 7 guys either done, or with serious question marks over them. Hooker's barely able to play without doing a hammy, Pears has a crack in his leg, and Hurley's got hot spots that result in him wearing a moon boot unless playing.

It's not unrealistic to say we'll be seriously undermanned for the first week of the finals.

EDIT: No mention of Colyer, Long or Prismall, either.

See above.

Not including Gumbleton, that's 8 guys in our "best side", or at the very least, guys that would be playing now.

We'll even exclude Hibberd for arguments sake, as we've got Slattery instead if we want.

That's 7 guys either done, or with serious question marks over them. Hooker's barely able to play without doing a hammy, Pears has a crack in his leg, and Hurley's got hot spots that result in him wearing a moon boot unless playing.

It's not unrealistic to say we'll be seriously undermanned for the first week of the finals.

EDIT: No mention of Colyer, Long or Prismall, either.

Yeah, maybe it was just the wording of only having 80% of our list to select from that did it, iunno. I'd remove Hurley, Pears and Hooker from that list, although again, I acknowledge that they aren't going to be fully fit.

I could still see Hurley tearing shreds through all of Jamison, Henderson and Thornton in front of 90,000 at the G, and they might as well try Duigan or Waite on him too because it's not going to make a difference.

Waite will be playing with no games under his belt. That stuffs them up for KPFs. If we can keep a handle on Betts and Gartlet and Watson, Hocking, NLM and Howlett win the clearance battle we should go a long way to beating them. Our outside players in the midfield are becoming pretty damaging now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back