Hue_Jars

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2011
Only ya mum knows
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory,Heat,Wildcats,Warriors
Seems like everyone is crazy about running at the moment. Triathlons, marathons, fun runs, time trials....I just dont get it.

I find running so god damn hard and boring. I get no pleasure in just running along. Give me kick to kick/footy training anyday. And for some reason I just cant do it. I struggle to run more than 4km without having to stop/die cos my legs burn up.

But I wouldnt call myself unfit. Im athletic and muscular. Was good at sprinting in my younger days. And playing footy I can run out games ok. 400m and agility tests I do well in.

My brother is chubby and unco and has never played a minute of competitive sport in his life. But he goes running all the time, clocking 20km +. I just dont get how this is humanly possible. I struggle to drive this. I see it all the time, fat arses, soft lards being able to run forever like the energiser bunny.

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me?

I am with you 100% -

I started playing footy again in late 2009 for the first time in 10 years - I love training, I train and play hard (although, I am not very good) and I cycle every day to work/uni (don't own a car) -

I don't consider myself 'unfit' - (although I played a quarter in the ruck yesterday because I was 2nd tallest in the team after a couple of injuries, opposed to wandering around the half-forward flanks, and was completely stuffed) -

Running though, for the sake of running, especially when there seems to be no destination in mind, is the last thing I want to be apart of -

• Banned
Yeah I deliberately avoid the first 6 weeks of pre-season so I dont have to do it. And by the time the first game is coming around I do a couple of training sessions and Im up with everyone else.

I HATE turning up to training and seeing no footys.

Seems like everyone is crazy about running at the moment. Triathlons, marathons, fun runs, time trials....I just dont get it.

I find running so god damn hard and boring. I get no pleasure in just running along. Give me kick to kick/footy training anyday. And for some reason I just cant do it. I struggle to run more than 4km without having to stop/die cos my legs burn up.

But I wouldnt call myself unfit. Im athletic and muscular. Was good at sprinting in my younger days. And playing footy I can run out games ok. 400m and agility tests I do well in.

My brother is chubby and unco and has never played a minute of competitive sport in his life. But he goes running all the time, clocking 20km +. I just dont get how this is humanly possible. I struggle to drive this. I see it all the time, fat arses, soft lards being able to run forever like the energiser bunny.

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me?

We're all genetically different, its as simple as that. Some people are able to run long distances quite comfortably with others are not even able to run 1km without strain.

I could run on a treadmill for 1 hour quite comfortably, but on footpaths, roads etc is was difficult to do 10 minutes.

Every time i try doing my run, i end up with an injured knee, shin, ankle etc

I love running, just can't stay fit

I was once like the OP.
Love playing my footy, but hate the running involved at training, especially when it didnt involve a footy.
But of late, ive really gotten into my running.
I dont enjoy the running, but the feeling it brings afterwards is bliss.
Im not fit by any stretch, but i like to do my 4km run every 2nd day at lunch at work, have my shower, then the rest of the day i feel relaxed and satisfied.
All this running is setting me up for my return to the footy field next year hopefully :D

Starting to get the running bug but you can keep your roads and pavements, was doing ok for a few months but then staring getting aches and strains. Now I'm mainly running barefoot on grass at the local oval better for interval/speed training, less injuries and just feels so much better.

Want to start getting into some trail runs soon, I know some guys that do the ultra marathons and stuff but running 100km is just nuts.

Cycling and swimming are much better for me. But that's out of necessity, since I can't run without ankles and knees dying :p

Agree with Mike about running on a treadmill for an hour, but struggling on the open road for 10 minutes. It's weird how that happens.

I reckon it is kinda like hitting the gym.

Once you get to a decent point in your own development, it becomes something you actually look forward to, rather than just a chore.

Push through the annoying early stage (maybe the first couple of months? Depends on the person I guess) and it will be easy from there.

:thumbsu:

With you 100%. Tried a few years ago for a 15k. Just couldn't do it.

Skinny-fat? These people populate the treadmill room at my gym. Just churning through the k's. Running when I arrive and still running when I leave. Their bodies stay the same. I don't get it. At least they are enjoying themselves.

I mainly do it for that "good feeling" afterwards.. sure its hard to get motivated and pushing out that last couple of mins/kms feels like hell, but then after, you cool down have a nice cold shower and feel awesome (not physically at first, but mentally).

Also I just think about the health benefits to motivate me and who doesnt love just dropping the ol casual "Yer just went for a run before.."* :D

*Dont worry, Im not one of those annoying people (usually girls) who feel the need to post it on fb and make a massive deal out of "exercising" even though they only go for about 5mins then have Maccas after. :eek:

Of course footy training >>> running, esp those horrible pre-season sesh in sweltering conditions!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skinny-fat? These people populate the treadmill room at my gym. Just churning through the k's. Running when I arrive and still running when I leave. Their bodies stay the same. I don't get it. At least they are enjoying themselves.

Yeah, I've seen this.

Not running at high enough intensity is their problem. Anybody can do k after k on a treadmill at a jog.

High intensity training = results AFAIC.

Churning out k after k at low intensity is better for fat burning but it won't improve your fitness.

Dont matter what youre doing - the higher intensity you exercise the more fat you burn.

Interval training, sprints I can tolerate. Whole ground drills at footy training I love. (Getting called in for the coach to talk crap and getting cold i dont).

Pounding the pavement I hate. I think its probably easier on a tready cos there a less forces on you like wind resistance, plus its a constant incline.

People who find it boring are often the types who just run in a monotonous area. Love where I live, being able to run along the coastline full of tough hills and pretty incredible landscapes, makes it challenging and not boring.

I hate running, just really hate it.

I don't mind when im playing footy and chasing a ball around all day but just running for the sake of running does my head in.

I did the melbourne half marathon last year to raise money for charity... it was torture to me (great feeling when you finish though). At the 17 Km I started slowing down and I remember all these 40+ year old people and short chubby guys and people of all kinds of body shapes passing me. I remember thinking me how in hell am I letting these people pass me....

Some people are just good at running I guess.

Yeah, never got the appeal. I need to be either chasing something or running away from something to really be able to push myself. Just don't have the mental toughness to make myself keep going through a 40 minute constant run.

I relate to this too. I'm tall, lean, toned and relatively fit but I cannot stand running. Every step I feel my body is saying "stop, stop, stop, stop". Now I've got shin splints so I've basically given up.

I never understand how people I know who do far less exercise and eat worse than I do, and are in worse shape, can go for a couple of runs and punch out a half-marathon. I mean it's baffling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back