Running shoes

Remove this Banner Ad

I run Altra's and have done for 5 or 6 years. I get knee pain in anything other than zero drop. Unfortunately Altra have been shrinking the toe box year after year and don't really work for me now. Can anyone suggest a brand or two? All I can find is minimalists - minimal drop is OK but minimal cushioning is crap. Any recommendations appreciated

I run Altra's and have done for 5 or 6 years. I get knee pain in anything other than zero drop. Unfortunately Altra have been shrinking the toe box year after year and don't really work for me now. Can anyone suggest a brand or two? All I can find is minimalists - minimal drop is OK but minimal cushioning is crap. Any recommendations appreciated
I've got around 15 pairs of expensive running shoes, from Alphafly 3's, Prime X, Deviate Nitro's, you name it I've probably got it.
I have a huge problem ;)
I will attest though to my Kinvara's as my favourite shoe. Lowish drop and a great toe-box, very comfortable

Have you looked at Topo?

I've got around 15 pairs of expensive running shoes, from Alphafly 3's, Prime X, Deviate Nitro's, you name it I've probably got it.
I have a huge problem ;)
I will attest though to my Kinvara's as my favourite shoe. Lowish drop and a great toe-box, very comfortable
How do you rate the change from 13s to 14s?
I'm leaning towards getting a pair of Kinvaras but quite a few people aren't happy with the change.

Have you looked at Topo?

I've never seen one in a shop to try on and I don't know a single person who has first hand experience. They look and sound quite good. Have you tried them?

It's another zero-drop co leaving the nische. Altra have now brought out a 4mm drop shoe as well. I do wonder where I'll get my shoes in a few years time

How do you rate the change from 13s to 14s?
I'm leaning towards getting a pair of Kinvaras but quite a few people aren't happy with the change.
sorry mate, i should've quoted that I have the 13's but haven't and probably wont upgrade.
the only thing that's tempting me is the Kinvara Pro that's been released.

I've never seen one in a shop to try on and I don't know a single person who has first hand experience. They look and sound quite good. Have you tried them?

It's another zero-drop co leaving the nische. Altra have now brought out a 4mm drop shoe as well. I do wonder where I'll get my shoes in a few years time

I haven't, the Cyclone 2 has been getting great reviews so I'd love to try them out.

Is there a reason you don't think the 4mm drop would work? With the way modern foams compress I've found the drop numbers can often be a bit misleading compared to how the shoe actually functions once you're landing on it.

sorry mate, i should've quoted that I have the 13's but haven't and probably wont upgrade.
the only thing that's tempting me is the Kinvara Pro that's been released.

FWIW the Kinvara Pro has nothing to do with the Kinvara line, I'm not too sure why they bothered naming it the way they have.

It's a fairly stiff rockered shoe whereas the Kinvara was traditionally lower profile and flexible...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've just ordered some Altra Escalantes to go in my rotation alongside my Kayanos and Brooks Ghosts. I was going to try the Kinvaras but there seems to be a massive tanking in the reviews of the 14s, and I couldn't find any 12s or 13s left anywhere in my size.

The Altras will be my first zero drop runners so it'll be interesting to see how that goes. I do wear barefoot shoes all day at work though and have done for years.

Currently using the Hoka Bondi 8s the navy and. Light blue ones. Not too bad. Second best pair of running shoes I've had. My previous Hoka Clifton 8s were awesome. Used them way too long. Then were really good walking shoes until the souls got holes! Originally went the new Hoka Clifton 9s but hates the feel of them. They changed the design. I've got athritis in my ankle/foot due to footy so these take away that impact really well. I cant really walk without a bit of pain yet a jog in hokas is bearable atm. I'm going to get the old Clifton 8s next pair. Anyone else got any recommendations?

Currently using the Hoka Bondi 8s the navy and. Light blue ones. Not too bad. Second best pair of running shoes I've had. My previous Hoka Clifton 8s were awesome. Used them way too long. Then were really good walking shoes until the souls got holes! Originally went the new Hoka Clifton 9s but hates the feel of them. They changed the design. I've got athritis in my ankle/foot due to footy so these take away that impact really well. I cant really walk without a bit of pain yet a jog in hokas is bearable atm. I'm going to get the old Clifton 8s next pair. Anyone else got any recommendations?

Most of the major brands do a similar type of shoe to the Hoka; models like ASICS Nimbus 25 or 26, Saucony Triumph 20 or 21, New Balance 1080 v13 might all be worth checking out if you dont like the new model Hoka’s.

Thanks for that. Will definitely check these out.
Most of the major brands do a similar type of shoe to the Hoka; models like ASICS Nimbus 25 or 26, Saucony Triumph 20 or 21, New Balance 1080 v13 might all be worth checking out if you dont like the new model Hoka’s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back