(Log in to remove this ad.)

PoopingHindi

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Ran the Sri Chinmoy half at Albert Park 1.5 weeks ago, stoked with a 1:25:31, a pb by 3 mins, and at 50 yrs old. Perfect weather and no wind made for ideal running conditions.
you got lucky. normally the wind smacks you in the face once you turn onto Lakeside Drive...and strangely enough you can't feel it at your back on the other side.
i decided to target this race when i got injured late last year but i've only now just crept back up to 9k long runs.
i may give Princes Park a go if possible. i wont be nearly fit enough to race it but at least it gives me something to look forward to.
...or maybe its too soon. christ i hate not being able to run how and when i want.

congrats on the shiny new and speedy PB. it gives fellow old timers like me some hope, albeit at a considerably slower pace.

Last edited:

stmookeyj

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 9, 2002
Queensland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm in but if a running dry spell at the moment. Last run was last Friday (21st) and due to family and work commitments at the moment it's now Wednesday night and I haven't gotten out.
Apart from footy commitments I haven't run in 3 weeks since South Africa.....and Gold Coast is next weekend (and I'm doing the full marathon). You're certainly not alone.

Crows4Flag

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
you got lucky. normally the wind smacks you in the face once you turn onto Lakeside Drive...and strangely enough you can't feel it at your back on the other side.
i decided to target this race when i got injured late last year but i've only now just crept back up to 9k long runs.
i may give Princes Park a go if possible. i wont be nearly fit enough to race it but at least it gives me something to look forward to.
...or maybe its too soon. christ i hate not being able to run how and when i want.

congrats on the shiny new and speedy PB. it gives fellow old timers like me some hope, albeit at a considerably slower pace.
Ive ran Albert Park a few times in both directions and not sure on preference. When running the lakeside drive leg do you run north to south or south to north?

PoopingHindi

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Ive ran Albert Park a few times in both directions and not sure on preference. When running the lakeside drive leg do you run north to south or south to north?
I'm not big on directions but every time i've run it its been anti-clockwise with the lake one your left. so you come on to Lakeside at the opposite end of the athletics track and run towards it.

...and it's almost always windy.

PoopingHindi

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
went for a jog this morning. about 3.5k from home i started to feel the need to poop but it wasn't urgent and i wasn't that far from home.
at about 3k to go i passed a public toilet and thought, "i don't really want to go in there and i got this situation under control anyway", so i rolled on by.
2k from home things became dire. there's a strong chance that i might not make it. need to run faster but you can't cause if you open up your stride something else might open up as well.
the last k was something between a very slow jog and a duck waddle as i searched around for a front yard with decent bush coverage. sadly, or thankfully depending on your perspective there was none....anyway i made it home, burst through the front door and made a mad dash/duck waddle to toilet that was oh so fortunately unoccupied. just in the nick of time.
sunday run ruined :(

just thought i'd share.
happy trails everyone.

stmookeyj

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 9, 2002
Queensland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Been there done that big time. There was even times where I was lucky I was passing either a roadhouse style servo or even McDonalds. The worst was finding a public toilet as the sun was setting and there were no lights (and I'm sure that toilet was used for something that wasn't what was a normal use for a toilet).

As for Gold Coast, a calf injury and transport issues (needing to book the train to return home rather than a flight) meant a downgrade to the half marathon. Timing chip apparently wasn't activated properly so even though there's plenty of photos of me on course and I have a medal and finishers shirt to prove it, my time is unofficial. Entering the Australian races for the remainder of the 2019 schedule this week, even toyed with the idea of applying to be a 4:30 pacer at Melbourne (given I've finished it 6 times, last year one of the legends paced that group) but probably won't place myself under that much pressure just yet (perhaps wait until I've got to 10).

PoopingHindi

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Been there done that big time. There was even times where I was lucky I was passing either a roadhouse style servo or even McDonalds. The worst was finding a public toilet as the sun was setting and there were no lights (and I'm sure that toilet was used for something that wasn't what was a normal use for a toilet).

As for Gold Coast, a calf injury and transport issues (needing to book the train to return home rather than a flight) meant a downgrade to the half marathon. Timing chip apparently wasn't activated properly so even though there's plenty of photos of me on course and I have a medal and finishers shirt to prove it, my time is unofficial. Entering the Australian races for the remainder of the 2019 schedule this week, even toyed with the idea of applying to be a 4:30 pacer at Melbourne (given I've finished it 6 times, last year one of the legends paced that group) but probably won't place myself under that much pressure just yet (perhaps wait until I've got to 10).
seems like you've had a run of bad luck of late.
i hope things swing your way soon.

Top Bottom