Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Long time big footy reader, first time poster here, just completed my first ever fun run last weekend which was the city2sea 15km, finished with a time of 59:45 which I was absolutely stoked with after an intense 6 week program and now I’ve definitely caught the running bug! Does anybody know of any running clubs around Melbourne? Or any other events coming up?

Well, it was a memorable weekend for me doing the Run for the Young half marathon.

Official time was 1.26:20, but that was after getting lost a few times and running 21.70km.

Went through at about 1.24 for the half which was a PB for me and (somehow) finished in first place.

I really enjoyed the course. I felt like I was running downhill for a majority of the race which is weird since it was an out and back course. I also really enjoyed doing a smaller trail event. I was able to pace myself with a really nice marathoner from the States on the way out and felt heaps of support from half marathoners coming the other way on the back.

The only draw back was the marshalling wasn't great. There were quite a few road crossings and whilst most of the marshalls were organised enough to press the pedestrian button in advance, a few were either on their phones or not paying attention which cost a bit of time. There were also long stretches with no signage whatsoever, which led me astray a few times when the path split. Even a paper sign or or there would helped a lot.

Overall, however, it was a very enjoyable event and a memorable one for me. Wouldn't mind coming back for a crack at a marathon one year.

Second half of the year summed up by a simple word....injury.

- Was comfortably going with the 4:20 group on the Gold Coast containing one Spida Everitt before tightness in the hamstring saw me virtually walk the second half of the event
- After wrecking a calf muscle in a footy game that I probably shouldn't have played in, re-aggravated the injury warming up for the City2Surf and basically wobbled to a 1:30 finish
- Calf recovered sufficiently for the Perth City to Surf half marathon. Took it very carefully with walking sections particularly up the hills and finished in just over 2 hours. Unfortunately sitting in those narrow Subiaco seats plus the red eye to Brisbane took a toll.
- Yet again aggravated the calf injury warming up for the Half in Sydney, trotted 7km before the pain became too unbearable and I called it a day after 10km....then sat with the first aid staff/lay in their van for basically 4 hours, I had company from an elite African women's marathon runner who had issues of her own....
- After taking a fortnight completely off running, the calf came good for Melbourne. Stuck with the 4:10 group right until I had to make an unscheduled pit stop at the 2nd personal drink station (about 26km in, I blame it on some undercooked food from the Friday Night). Still managed a 4:32 which given I basically had little to no training in the 8 weeks leading up to the event, and it again qualifies me for Comrades next year (fortunately I was able to get an entry, they sold out in a matter of weeks as opposed to the usual couple of months).
- Did reasonably in the Point to Pinnacle until the last 5km where I couldn't run even if I tried to (steep climbs knocked the stuffing out of the legs). Did something like a 2:55

So with that all done I have a tentative schedule for some of next year.

- Feb 25: Wangaratta (90% certain to do the half, I actually entered the ballot for Tokyo run on the same day but didn't get lucky)
- March 17: Port Macquarie (doing what's known as the Treble Breakwall Buster, running the half marathon, then the 10km, then the 5km all in the same day)
- April 15: Canberra (50km again)
- June 10: Comrades, South Africa (90km DOWN Run, Pietermaritzburg -> Durban)

After that it will probably be the usual buildup for Melbourne finish number 6 (Gold Coast, Sydney, Perth, September event), then perhaps a hop over to NZ for either Auckland or Queenstown if the funds allow.

Well, it was a memorable weekend for me doing the Run for the Young half marathon.

Official time was 1.26:20, but that was after getting lost a few times and running 21.70km.

Went through at about 1.24 for the half which was a PB for me and (somehow) finished in first place.

I really enjoyed the course. I felt like I was running downhill for a majority of the race which is weird since it was an out and back course. I also really enjoyed doing a smaller trail event. I was able to pace myself with a really nice marathoner from the States on the way out and felt heaps of support from half marathoners coming the other way on the back.

The only draw back was the marshalling wasn't great. There were quite a few road crossings and whilst most of the marshalls were organised enough to press the pedestrian button in advance, a few were either on their phones or not paying attention which cost a bit of time. There were also long stretches with no signage whatsoever, which led me astray a few times when the path split. Even a paper sign or or there would helped a lot.

Overall, however, it was a very enjoyable event and a memorable one for me. Wouldn't mind coming back for a crack at a marathon one year.

Such a good time mate. Awesome.

So I've finally bitten the bullet and signed up for my 1st marathon - 15 April 2018 in Canberra. Can't wait!

Plan is to train up to Xmas doing similar kms as I am at the moment, ease back for a few weeks over Xmas and the start of Jan and then launch into a 12 week program in mid Jan.

Any tips or advice for a newbie would be much appreciated!!

So I've finally bitten the bullet and signed up for my 1st marathon - 15 April 2018 in Canberra. Can't wait!

Plan is to train up to Xmas doing similar kms as I am at the moment, ease back for a few weeks over Xmas and the start of Jan and then launch into a 12 week program in mid Jan.

Good luck! I've decided to attempt my first marathon at Gold Coast in mid-2018. Haven't even thought about a training plan as yet.

I'm currently training for Two Bays trail run in Jan. If I can survive that 28km's then I'll turn attention to the marathon.

Pretty pumped for both challenges.

Yeah I'm in for Two Bays 28km too. Did Afterglow night HM trail run a week or so ago.

Ran it in 1:51:00 on the nose and while it was nowhere near as hilly or tough as say Rollercoaster or Wonderland, it was a stormy night and muggy as all *. Obviously made worse by all the gear I had on, wig included. Gorgeous place to run along the surf coast from Pt Addis to Torquay.....seeing the setting sun and then finishing in the darkness. It's a bit of a flouro/neon/glimmer themed social run at twilight for those that don't know. Headlamps compulsory and lots of flashing lights. Was a lot of fun but also left me feeling I'm short of work for Two Bays. I'm not a great runner in the heat so that bitch could smash me.

Beyond that feel like Marathon No.2 should be on the 2018 bucket list and Gold Coast was the dream but a June 30/July 1 race date is a bit of a nightmare for an accountant so perhaps Melbourne again........... or something else.

I'm doing the 50km in Canberra again, having done the regulation marathon twice. In terms of the race itself don't think as though you have to run as fast as someone else because you have to, run as fast as you need because you want to. There will be many in the same boat (marathon maidens), so you won't be alone. There will probably be someone (like a pace runner) who will be up for a chat if need be. Feel free to walk through the drink stations if you have to, many runners do that anyway.

I'm doing the 50km in Canberra again, having done the regulation marathon twice. In terms of the race itself don't think as though you have to run as fast as someone else because you have to, run as fast as you need because you want to. There will be many in the same boat (marathon maidens), so you won't be alone. There will probably be someone (like a pace runner) who will be up for a chat if need be. Feel free to walk through the drink stations if you have to, many runners do that anyway.

Cheers mate.

I'm setting the bar high - shooting for sub 3 hours. I don't want to die wondering.

2017 has been a year of mostly highs (10:50 at SCC 100ks & 2:58 at Melb Mara the main highlights) with 8 maras/Ultra maras for the year and a total >3000ks for the first time. Happy with all that and entry to Boston Mara next April is going to be awesome. Unfortunately have my first hammy strain and after 2.5 weeks still struggling with the pain. Physio has got me doing all sorts of stuff but it is really taking it’s time to heal. Anyway, hope everyone has had a great year and on to bigger and better running goals in 2018.

2017 has been a year of mostly highs (10:50 at SCC 100ks & 2:58 at Melb Mara the main highlights) with 8 maras/Ultra maras for the year and a total >3000ks for the first time. Happy with all that and entry to Boston Mara next April is going to be awesome. Unfortunately have my first hammy strain and after 2.5 weeks still struggling with the pain. Physio has got me doing all sorts of stuff but it is really taking it’s time to heal. Anyway, hope everyone has had a great year and on to bigger and better running goals in 2018.

No good on the hammy mate but a great year of achievements and Boston will be phenomenal .

Weighing up whether it's a good idea to wear a new pair of shoes for Two Bays Trail run next week. I've run about 25kms in them so far and they feel good.

I was planning on running in my trusty old shoes (and then retiring them), but now I'm starting to think the new tread would be handy on the trails.

Do I dare tempt fate and change up my shoes? My philosophy has been to not change anything on race day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having very similar thoughts. Only done 13km in the new ones but wondering if the better tread is worth the risk.

They are the newer version of the same shoe so I'm used to the feel.
Yep, I've got the new version of my old shoes. The soles of my old shoes were set up (glued in arch support and a few other tweaks) by my podiatrist to help with planter faciatis that I had.

I might try pulling out the old sole and putting them in the new shoes and giving that a test run during the week.

Does anyone follow Sage Canaday and his training company Vo2 Max Productions?

He's an American elite marathon/ultra distance runner, who has been an open book with his training for years. All his runs are posted on Strava and he consistently releases training videos on YouTube (on pretty much all topics imaginable) and engages in social media.

I've only started reading and watching his stuff recently, but I find it very helpful and it's great to see an elite athlete who is so open and transparent with his running. It also provides great insight into the life of a career athlete and all that entails.

It's work checking out for those who don't know him.

What are everyone's racing plans for 2018?

I have a lot of " I'd like to........ " thoughts at the moment but nothing locked in yet outside of Two Bays 28 this weekend.

Wonderland will be a lock again. And a mara somewhere is on the cards - possibly Melbourne again.

Beyond that..... Buffalo Stampede, Geelong HM, Sharpys Beer Run are some being considered.

Would like to start taking the parkrun tour aswell. Of the 60 odd I've done they've all been Inverloch except the 1 at Phillip Island. I've done possibly 8-9 others unofficially but would like to start logging a few more official ones. I'll be starting with Echuca in a week or so.

Plans for this year are for a lot more pram running with the wife going back to full time work. Most of the opportunities ill get to run I will have to train with the pram so Im aiming to do a few races with it as well.

- Feb 10 - Busselton Half with pram
- Maybe Adelaide marathon in may.
- keen to try a marathon pushing the pram but i think that might have to wait til next year.

Pretty limited plans for 2018:

Two Bays 28 just done (swapped down from 56)
RCR 21 Feb (was going to be 44 but will swap down)
Boston Mara April
Melb Mara Oct

Getting over this hamstring tendinopathy is the first priority, certainly causing some pain and discomfort.

Locked in for my first marathon in Canberra on 15 April. All the focus is on sub 3hr.

I haven't turned my mind to any other races yet. Considering going off road for some light trail races, including maybe a marathon later in the year.

How far in advance would I need to sign up for Two Bays? Thinking of jumping straight into the 56.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back