Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta say, I think he’s probably played his last game for us if the injury gods aren’t cruel. Has a dip but lacks the polish to be in the AFL for mine.

He can't play midfield the entire game, he's just not that good and everyone needs a 2nd position.
Yeah but they're playing him mainly forward with only a bit of mid. He just can't play as an AFL forward. Id be surprised if he could play as a VFL forward.

I think he's adequate depth when playing midfield, just never use him as a forward again. Bloody strange coaching in my opinion.
Yep. Thought tonight would have been a good opportunity to play him primarily as an inside mid but alas, as a forward he was never going to show what he's capable of. Feel sorry for the guy.

Yep. Thought tonight would have been a good opportunity to play him primarily as an inside mid but alas, as a forward he was never going to show what he's capable of. Feel sorry for the guy.
He’s not up to the standard required.

I think he’s a victim of lack of continuity. If we were a developing side I could cop it. Gets in all the right spots, out bodies his opponent then drops the mark. Could have taken 10 marks last night, easily.

A tough one I think, I think he’d come good if he could play out the season and get to 40-50 games experience. Don’t think we can afford that level of commitment. Should be traded for his benefit at years end.

Yeah but they're playing him mainly forward with only a bit of mid. He just can't play as an AFL forward. Id be surprised if he could play as a VFL forward.
He can’t. Played forward in some the practice games plus the first quarter against Coburg in R1. He barely touched the footy and had little impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys he did some decent things

Any swans game on that postage stamp of a ground means no space

No doubt he will be replaced but there is something there

He presented well and demanded coverage had rampe and alir spoiling ( both quality defenders)
I hope he can make a carear out of it
Be a good pick up for a few clubs

Efforts there , will be better for it getting a few games into him. Hasn't been disgraced by any means. Its that thing though , do we persist with a 26 year old with limited experience or put those games into a youngster (if we have one for that position)

Yep he played ruck there with Grundy off and followed up really well.

Sadly he didn’t have a great game tonight, and we have players ready to come back in Adams and Sier who are better.

I actually thought he did a lot right in terms of his forward craft, lots of strong leads to good spots for instance, especially as it's not overly familiar for him. Just couldn't hold a mark. That's why he actually got so little game time. Well that and the fact he got crunched.

I would never hav eguessed after Mayne's first year with us that he would be playing lke he is now, looked like a struggling has-been really.
Rupe prob looks better than Mayne did then so I really don't know, will be interesting what they actually choose to do with him and how they try to develop him, if at all or maybe this was his last gasp.
I mean I'm pretty sure that the coaches saw something in mayne that none of us saw, and just maybe it's the same with Rupe.

Every club has a Rupert Wills. Guys you'd love to see make it but they just don't. You can't fault his effort but he just doesn't have a weapon.
He's not fast, doesn't read play all that well, doesn't have great skill even when he gets the pill and he doesn't kick goals. That makes him a 3rd or 4th "Grunt Mid" and in our side, he's superfluous. He's playing forward atm because he's sort've got a big body...but he doesn't mark, crumb or kick goals. Good on the club for trying to find out if he can do anything else bar tackle...but when the guns come back in he'll revert once more to the VFL. So will Benny Reid, they both looked outclassed and almost innocuous last night.

I think he really does just need a good run of games and a lot of midfield time, something we probably can't afford to offer him. Sometimes players don't end up at the right club in terms of opportunity. Would love to see him get another go at a different club if he's not with us next year.

I think he really does just need a good run of games and a lot of midfield time, something we probably can't afford to offer him. Sometimes players don't end up at the right club in terms of opportunity. Would love to see him get another go at a different club if he's not with us next year.

Yeah I'd like to see that too

If he held his marks he could have been as influential as Wells at half time. I reckon he dropped 4 or 5 marks inside 50. No sitters but it's the difference between an AFL and good VFL player as a forward.

If he held his marks he could have been as influential as Wells at half time. I reckon he dropped 4 or 5 marks inside 50. No sitters but it's the difference between an AFL and good VFL player as a forward.
Wells is a clever footballer who found space. The Swans are one of the best defensive units in the AFL, especially on their home ground and Wills was mostly flying for the ball in packs where nine times out of ten, you’re not going to mark the ball. What Wills does best is working in packs creating space for teammates to grab the ball. The stats don’t always reflect the good work he does. Like Madgen, Wills has barely played any football in the last 12 months. You need to give these guys time to work themselves into games of senior football because there’s a big jump from VFL to AFL. As long as they do all the little things that contribute to the team, that’s all you can ask of them.

I lost track of how many contested marks he was in the box position, but failed to hang onto and it just bounced off him. I wonder if he struggles with hand-eye coordination in night games?

I've never thought contested marking was 1 of his strengths so while it was disappointing, it wasn't really a surprise. Needs to spend some time at training with Bucks drilling some bullets at him to hone the skills.

Wells is a clever footballer who found space. The Swans are one of the best defensive units in the AFL, especially on their home ground and Wills was mostly flying for the ball in packs where nine times out of ten, you’re not going to mark the ball. What Wills does best is working in packs creating space for teammates to grab the ball. The stats don’t always reflect the good work he does. Like Madgen, Wills has barely played any football in the last 12 months. You need to give these guys time to work themselves into games of senior football because there’s a big jump from VFL to AFL. As long as they do all the little things that contribute to the team, that’s all you can ask of them.

Can't disagree with much of that but as soon as better credentialed players return, they'll be omitted. Wills chance has been over the last few seasons when we've had numerous injuries. Just unfortunate that so did he.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back