Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
What about the Quaynor boy? He must be close to getting a game.
He is an interesting watch.
The defence seems quite locked in and with Aish returning at some point, Quaynor might need patience.

I’m keen to go to the reserves tomorrow, mainly to watch the possibles for elevation. This includes Isaac.

(Bear love as well ofcourse.)

His performance today was underwhelming but it is not fair to judge him as a footballer on a single game.

We've been spoiled by Checkers, Sier, Stephenson etc; they we able to arrive and perform, very much "turn-key solutions" for the club.

Wills IMO is an unlucky guy to be part of a team that bats so deep in his position.

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s a tough one, had some high hopes, thought once he got his chance would make some really good selection headaches. Think Sier has him even without playing.

It’s a tough one, had some high hopes, thought once he got his chance would make some really good selection headaches. Think Sier has him even without playing.
Of course, but players get immeasurably better when they’re not playing.

There’s a reason he’s been on the list for so many years and not played many senior games, he’s really average at best. Today showed it and no amount of games in a row will change that.

Should be dropped and only return to the seniors if a severe case of bubonic plague hits the club.

Somebody

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
There’s a reason he’s been on the list for so many years and not played many senior games, he’s really average at best. Today showed it and no amount of games in a row will change that.

Should be dropped and only return to the seniors if a severe case of bubonic plague hits the club.
Could turn out to be an "inbetweenie" - too good for VFL, not quite up to speed with AFL.
Esp if he doesn't get another chance next week, since opportunities will be scarce after this if not.

So that would be the right call in terms of list management, ie giving a player one more chance to save his career, and I'd say worth the risk vs Aints next week, in order to try to get some payoff for the investment in Wills.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not AFL standard speed. He's not just average pace, he's very slow. He can't pressure because everyone gets away from him with ease and he also struggles to get there first which is a prequisite for an inside mid.

Cyclops

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 25, 2001
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
IOM Gyms, Preston Nth End
Fine body and seems to have the skills, has had injury worries (we've had buckets of those) but we seem to have a good medical team so hopefully he can get a decent run going. Now's not the time to discuss the axe, its should be about how we get enough players enough games to see how good they are.

At first blush I thought he showed more promise than Sier, but that got turned around last year. He may move ahead again given a go.

dmoore30

All Australian
Dec 3, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
No idea why the love for a below average player. I'm almost certain today did no benefit for his future, most likely axed next week for another mid.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was given an extremely difficult challenge today and needs a string of games to show his best, but probably wont get them given those to come back in. Some very savage critics here happy to eat their own.

Why do people whinge at fair and reasonable criticism and label it "eating their own". Seriously if you can't handle people posting the truth about how a player performs then the internet isn't for you.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
Why do people whinge at fair and reasonable criticism and label it "eating their own". Seriously if you can't handle people posting the truth about how a player performs then the internet isn't for you.
Actually all criticism is subjective, there is no absolute truth, not in football, nor in life.
It's up to each person to decide what constitutes loyalty and support and if criticizing out of frustration or for attention crosses that imaginary line.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don’t the issue is posting feedback per se.
It’s about how people go about the feedback.

Not sure being the internet is a licence to be overtly nasty.

There’s a way to speak to people and at times people hide behind the internet.

I'm not too bullish on Rupert, and I was disappointed that he managed a single contested possession, but my expectations were tempered by the fact that today was his first senior game in nearly two years.

I've also just seen that he only had 51% game time...so 12 possessions in half a game of footy in your first senior game in 2 years (and still having played less than 10 games) is probably not that bad.

He'll struggle to get senior exposure, no doubt, but let's give the lad some context.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Actually all criticism is subjective, there is no absolute truth, not in football, nor in life.
It's up to each person to decide what constitutes loyalty and support and if criticizing out of frustration or for attention crosses that imaginary line.

That's not true at all. If a player sat on the wing and didn't move or touch the ball once, you can objectively say he played a poor game. That is free from personal feelings or bias.

People show loyalty and support by turning up to games / buying memberships and hoping for team success, criticising a player for a poor game does not make you disloyal or not a true supporter, that's absolute rubbish and everyone with common sense knows that. I'm glad to learn there are only 2 motives in the world for criticising a sports player too, thanks for that.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don’t the issue is posting feedback per se.
It’s about how people go about the feedback.

Not sure being the internet is a licence to be overtly nasty.

There’s a way to speak to people and at times people hide behind the internet.

Who here has been "overtly nasty"? I must have missed all the highly offensive abuse he has copped on the forum, where is it?

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Who here has been "overtly nasty"? I must have missed all the highly offensive abuse he has copped on the forum, where is it?
That is for you to make your own judgment.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
That's not true at all. If a player sat on the wing and didn't move or touch the ball once, you can objectively say he played a poor game. That is free from personal feelings or bias.
You could, but hypothetically/philosophically there is always the chance the coach instructed him to do that and it was crucial to the win.
Even at the fundamental level of existence there is Heisenberg's uncertainty principle literally stating as a law of physics that you cannot know anything with 100% certainty.
Failing that most scientists are starting to suspect we live in a simulation, truth is very subjective.

Hazz

Premium Platinum
Apr 9, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood

Why do people whinge at people whinging?

Seriously. If you can’t handle people posting their opinion on an open forum then maybe Bigfooty isn’t for you?

Back