Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
My own personal line? when I sound more like an opposition supporter trashing one of our players, then I know I've crossed the line for whatever reason.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not too bullish on Rupert, and I was disappointed that he managed a single contested possession, but my expectations were tempered by the fact that today was his first senior game in nearly two years.

I've also just seen that he only had 51% game time...so 12 possessions in half a game of footy in your first senior game in 2 years (and still having played less than 10 games) is probably not that bad.

He'll struggle to get senior exposure, no doubt, but let's give the lad some context.

You could also say that you can't be more useless than being parked on the bench. If the coaching staff thought he was up to it he would have played 80% odd like every other mid and rotated all day, not spend extended periods on the bench limiting your rotational ability. He can't play anywhere other than mid and is easily exposed in the middle, I don't think he has a big future sad to say, senior level finds him out.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
If it was an opposition player we would be laughing. We are being serious here.
Well today was an exception, I laughed at our 22 players for 95% of the game, then laughed at their 22 for the last 5 minutes.

Hazz

Premium Platinum
Apr 9, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
You could also say that you can't be more useless than being parked on the bench. If the coaching staff thought he was up to it he would have played 80% odd like every other mid and rotated all day, not spend extended periods on the bench limiting your rotational ability. He can't play anywhere other than mid and is easily exposed in the middle, I don't think he has a big future sad to say, senior level finds him out.

Triple M call referenced that he may have got a knock, in the second quarter maybe?

Had forgotten that comment until I saw that he only played 51% GT. Though he definitely played the game out... strange call to bring him in if his fitness was not 100% or not up to AFL standard.

His VFL work up to this point was pretty solid (I now there’s a sizeable gap between the Two leagues).

Maybe I'm just feeling a bit emotional and sensitive today, I dunno, but for whatever reason I want to stop short of pronouncing that Rupert's dream of AFL footy is dead. I'd rather point out that his 51% time on ground was by far the lowest today (next was Mayne, 67%), and that this helps to explain his underwhelming numbers and points to other possible issues.

Collingwood will be tough for him, without doubt, but I've thought for a while that a couple of other clubs would have opportunities for him.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
You could, but hypothetically/philosophically there is always the chance the coach instructed him to do that and it was crucial to the win.
Even at the fundamental level of existence there is Heisenberg's uncertainty principle literally stating as a law of physics that you cannot know anything with 100% certainty.
Failing that most scientists are starting to suspect we live in a simulation, truth is very subjective.

What on earth? The Uncertainly Principle is about the physical properties of a particle! Please stop, you have literally no clue what you're talking about. Never ever try and use quantum mechanics in an argument ever again, may god have mercy.

Hazz , our other resident theoretical physicists liked your post too, confirming what a brilliant hypothesis it is.. when you don't understand the basic nature of it... This conversation has gone past stupid.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Triple M call referenced that he may have got a knock, in the second quarter maybe?

Had forgotten that comment until I saw that he only played 51% GT. Though he definitely played the game out... strange call to bring him in if his fitness was not 100% or not up to AFL standard.

His VFL work up to this point was pretty solid (I now there’s a sizeable gap between the Two leagues).

He needed the absolutely perfect storm of injuries to get a game and everybody in his position wiped out or out of form to finally get a look in and now we kind of know why I reckon... not just his stats were underwhelming but he looked off the pace of the game which is damning. Based on this game he doesn't stand up to the level based on speed not only of foot but of mind. But he got unlucky, he probably got picked in the worst game for him to start, he matched up the best to Cripps but Cripps is the best mid his size in the comp whereas he is borderline AFL standard and the gulf showed... but at least he had a match up, other weeks he might not.

Hazz

Premium Platinum
Apr 9, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
What on earth? The Uncertainly Principle is about the physical properties of a particle! Please stop, you have literally no clue what you're talking about. Never ever try and use quantum mechanics in an argument ever again, may god have mercy.

Hazz , our other resident theoretical physicists liked your post too, confirming what a brilliant hypothesis it is.. when you don't understand the basic nature of it... This conversation has gone past stupid.

Back to the original football point, which was focused on the contrast between external perception of a players performance vs internal perception. I’m sure I don’t need to explain this to you, but anyway.

If the coach instructed the player to stand still on the wing all day, then the player stood on the wing all day.

1. Has the player has played their role well? Yes.
2. How would externals rate the player? Poorly.
3. How would internals rate the player? Did their job.

I’m not saying Wills definitely played his role well (I don’t know “exactly” what the role was). But it seems to have been a somewhat negating role on Cripps.

Was it enough to keep his spot, I don’t know. I’d have expected a few more tackles and to have kept Cripps a little quieter as a pass mark. In the 1st Q Wills kept Cripps to 3 or 4 possessions. In saying that, Cripps is a super talent and worked into the game, and Wills spent half the game on the bench.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back to the original football point, which was focused on the contrast between external perception of a players performance vs internal perception. I’m sure I don’t need to explain this to you, but anyway.

If the coach instructed the player to stand still on the wing all day, then the player stood on the wing all day.

1. Has the player has played their role well? Yes.
2. How would externals rate the player? Poorly.
3. How would internals rate the player? Did their job.

I’m not saying Wills definitely played his role well (I don’t know “exactly” what the role was). But it seems to have been a somewhat negating role on Cripps.

Was it enough to keep his spot, I don’t know. I’d have expected a few more tackles and to have kept Cripps a little quieter as a pass mark. In the 1st Q Wills kept Cripps to 3 or 4 possessions. In saying that, Cripps is a super talent and worked into the game, and Wills spent half the game on the bench.

But how can the coaches ascertain the player played their role well with the uncertainty principle :drunk:.

It's all a simulation, wake up Hazz.

Hazz

Premium Platinum
Apr 9, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
He needed the absolutely perfect storm of injuries to get a game and everybody in his position wiped out or out of form to finally get a look in and now we kind of know why I reckon... not just his stats were underwhelming but he looked off the pace of the game which is damning. Based on this game he doesn't stand up to the level based on speed not only of foot but of mind. But he got unlucky, he probably got picked in the worst game for him to start, he matched up the best to Cripps but Cripps is the best mid his size in the comp whereas he is borderline AFL standard and the gulf showed... but at least he had a match up, other weeks he might not.

Yep. Agree with most of this. He did look a step slow at times today, even for an inside player.

I’d like to see at least one more game before writing him off.

But how can the coaches ascertain the player played their role well with the uncertainty principle :drunk:.

You can know the path of the player or his spin, but not both.

Hazz

Premium Platinum
Apr 9, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood

I know! To think some sad POS entity had to sit there and code an environment for plebs like us to exist in. No doubt they’d be disappointed with their creation!

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Why do people whinge at fair and reasonable criticism and label it "eating their own". Seriously if you can't handle people posting the truth about how a player performs then the internet isn't for you.

Truth here for you seems to be only that version of it you choose to agree with and if you don't think people are harsh on here I'd suggest its perhaps time to look in the mirror, before stating the internets not for others. A very poor post.

Last edited:

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

So you're not a fan of science is what I'm getting.

Back