Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Only if Beams Aish or Sier are not fit to play.

The fact he spent so much time on the bench compared to others is a strong indication of how the coaches rate him.

I get what you’re saying but it just doesn’t make sense to bring him in and sit him on the bench. They know where his fitness is at, and know where his game is at.

Wells could have come in and played 50%GT for greater attacking output.

They could have played Quaynor to get a look at him, shifted Greenwood mid/fwd OR had Greenwood tag Murphy or Walsh. (Liked Greenwood’s game down back by the way - just don’t kick it)

My guess is a knock has limited him. You don’t play solid VFL for 5 weeks, only to blow up after 30 mins of AFL.
And Wills seemed to play most of the first Q on Cripps and kept him quiet. Why would the coaches then decide he’s not up to it, is a liability, and is best left on the bench?

Please explain the Uncertainty Principle, as Bigfooty's resident theoretical physics professor
You can google that as easily as I can. He went bad you know, Heisenberg.

I get what you’re saying but it just doesn’t make sense to bring him in and sit him on the bench. They know where his fitness is at, and know where his game is at.

Wells could have come in and played 50%GT for greater attacking output.

They could have played Quaynor to get a look at him, shifted Greenwood mid/fwd OR had Greenwood tag Murphy or Walsh. (Liked Greenwood’s game down back by the way - just don’t kick it)

My guess is a knock has limited him. You don’t play solid VFL for 5 weeks, only to blow up after 30 mins of AFL.
And Wills seemed to play most of the first Q on Cripps and kept him quiet. Why would the coaches then decide he’s not up to it, is a liability, and is best left on the bench?

They played him to tag Cripps. When they realised that wasn't a good option, they didn't have another role for him to play.

Why do people whinge at fair and reasonable criticism and label it "eating their own". Seriously if you can't handle people posting the truth about how a player performs then the internet isn't for you.

It’s depends whose “truth” you’re referring to?

No problems with you posting my truth

Takes a minute to adjust to the pace
Think he will get a few more games

Nothing to lose
We find a player
We increase his value
We don't die wondering

Note 51% game time
12 dusposals
5 tackles
3 inside fifties

He played on the best mid in the game and for his first game onwards and upwards

Another below par game from Thomas I notice

Would like to see Rupe against other than the best power mid in the game at present, certainly wasn't disgraced in his first game, first quarter but faded from there.
Against lesser opposition it may be a markedly different story, for his sake I hope so.

Rather we go in a different direction, just too slow and lacks the skills

I tend to agree, but I wouldn't mind seeing him given the opportunity to hunt the ball for a game, rather than putting a cross through him just because he didn't successfully tag the best, hardest to stop player in the league.

He's just not good enough.
12 touches today playing as a mid----others wilt tell you he had a negating role....go look at who he was supposed to be negating....his direct opponent almost single handedly defeated us.
There's nothing to like about him as a player....big body they said....well that's proven to be overrated if you cannot use it.

It is wrong to assume that just because Wills started on Cripps, that was his sole opponent. To be fair.... Rupert kept Cripps to 5 possessions in the first quarter. Whilst Wills was on the bench in the first 8 minutes of the second quarter Cripps had 6 possessions. Pendlebury... not Wills, played on Cripps for 80% of the second half and Cripps had 26 possessions and almost single handedly won the game for Carlton. It was reported Wills was injured hence contributing to the 51% game time.

You could, but hypothetically/philosophically there is always the chance the coach instructed him to do that and it was crucial to the win.
Even at the fundamental level of existence there is Heisenberg's uncertainty principle literally stating as a law of physics that you cannot know anything with 100% certainty.
Failing that most scientists are starting to suspect we live in a simulation, truth is very subjective.
Because we can't ever know for sure that anything is true, doesn't mean that nothing can be true. That's like saying that nothing really exists.
IT's more how limited is our perspective as simian mammals on this planet, so we can't know anything for sure.

This isn't advanced physics, it's part of the scientific method that scientific knowledge must always be open to being challenged, or it isn't science anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

* me, a guy who's worked as hard as his body allows him, finally gets given his first game in 16 months and just his second game since August 2016, gets assigned the role of stopping one of, if not the best midfielder in the competition, restricts him to 5 possessions in a quarter, plays only 50% of the game, in which he managed 12 disposals at 75% efficiency, laid 5 tackles and sent it inside 50 3 times and so many muppets have nothing but criticism of him. He should be congratulated and supported by his own club's so called supporters. TWO games in nearly three years! Side by Side hey?

They played him to tag Cripps. When they realised that wasn't a good option, they didn't have another role for him to play.

I don't think he was as bad as some suggest or that we saw the best of Rupe Saturday. Of note though, 1st quarter when he was minding Cripps he only managed 5 possessions. Finished with 35 for the day so got off the leash when Rupe was on the bench.

As I understand it, Rupe was on the bench for medical reasons so I'm not sure why posters are assuming he was sent there because he wasn't doing his job. Came back late in the game and had a much greater impact. Still managed 12 possessions, 5 tackles and 23 PA's (top 1/2 dozen from both sides) in 51% TOG.

Just don't know if it'll be enough for him to hold his spot but I'd like to see him given more exposure. Until at least Sier returns anyway.

Yep, offers nothing when the game opens up, can't spread and make himself dangerous. He's a modern day Mark McGough. It absolutely astonishes me he has survived on the list this long.

Does at VFL level so just needs to translate that to senior footy.

Because we can't ever know for sure that anything is true, doesn't mean that nothing can be true. That's like saying that nothing really exists.
IT's more how limited is our perspective as simian mammals on this planet, so we can't know anything for sure.

This isn't advanced physics, it's part of the scientific method that scientific knowledge must always be open to being challenged, or it isn't science anymore.
Well taking physics to the extreme it's all just tiny points of light and energy that we are starting to suspect can be broken down ad infinitum, and maybe that's what eternity/infinity is, an endless series of dimensions going down smaller and smaller. It goes the other way too, for all we know our universe is an elemental particle in another larger structure and that goes on to larger and larger structures ad infinitum, but be it metaphysics or quantum mechanics both scientists and philosophers agree nothing is real. Consciousness maybe, but the physical is pure illusion upon inspection.

It's horribly unfair to give him one opportunity and ask him to tag the best midfielder in the game and banish him for unsuccessfully doing so. I'm not a huge wrap for Wills but the pressure maniac should definitely play this week against a St Kilda team who play slow possession footy - we'll need all the help we can get in getting the footy in our players' arms and for the same reason I want Varcoe in too.

I don't expect much from Wills but he's deserved another go after his VFL run and he shouldn't be dumped for being beaten by the comp's strongest mid in his return game.

You could, but hypothetically/philosophically there is always the chance the coach instructed him to do that and it was crucial to the win.
Even at the fundamental level of existence there is Heisenberg's uncertainty principle literally stating as a law of physics that you cannot know anything with 100% certainty.
Failing that most scientists are starting to suspect we live in a simulation, truth is very subjective.

LOL.
Playstation or Xbox?

I am forced to agree with Kappa, which is a bitter pill to swallow.

LOL.
Playstation or Xbox?

I am forced to agree with Kappa, which is a bitter pill to swallow.
When I die I fully expect to wake up in a VR chair/suit to be told the game is only realistic if your memory is wiped and you go through the process of birth etc upon entering the game. But seriously, the math is hideously on the side of a sim, like trillions to one odds. And commiserations on swallowing Kappa, nobody wanted that.

It is wrong to assume that just because Wills started on Cripps, that was his sole opponent. To be fair.... Rupert kept Cripps to 5 possessions in the first quarter. Whilst Wills was on the bench in the first 8 minutes of the second quarter Cripps had 6 possessions. Pendlebury... not Wills, played on Cripps for 80% of the second half and Cripps had 26 possessions and almost single handedly won the game for Carlton. It was reported Wills was injured hence contributing to the 51% game time.
I can only conclude one thing from those stats.
Send Pendlebury back to the VFL to find some form.

I’m not sure that’s really what the uncertainty principle says. Also, its not really true that most scientists think we live in a simulation. That’s just one theory of a pretty wacky group of physicists.

Having said that, if you’re right, then maybe Collingwood won the GF last year after all! I’ll rejoice in that!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back