Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
He really struggled aside from offering a physical presence around the stoppages. When guys are nearing the end and can’t keep up they go to ground to win the ball. Half of Wills’ possessions were won in that manner and he just couldn’t keep up when the ball was on the move...

I’m not fussed about whether he keeps his spot and until Adams returns I expect he will, but he isn’t going to be a regular for us and this is likely to be his last year in our system.

He’s done well to get to where he has though and he seems a ripping bloke so I hope he at least gets the chance to play the season out injury free to give him the best chance of finding a new home!

The Rupe did very well in his EIGHTH game. If fortune favours him and he manages to string a dozen games together I have no doubt his improvement will shut down all those quick to criticise. Seems a player has to have the flash of a Stephenson and not the grunt of a Tony Shaw to be appreciated these days. Took a loooong time for Taylor Adams to get the acknowledgement he deserved - now they've jumped off him and onto an 8 game player. Oddly enough the Collingwood coaching staff see more in him than all these BF critics - who'd a thunk?

saha

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've been one of his biggest advocates but tonight he was well below par. I don't know that he has been helped by this insistence on playing him forward, as we hardly saw him around the ball at all, but it's certainly not his go. Hasn't kicked a goal at VFL level so unlikely to do any damage at this level and it showed tonight. I still think the commentary around him and other players who try their guts out harsh but it's what fans will do especially on forums.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
No he's not in our top 22, or our top 30, he may not even crack the top 35. But 5 mins on the clock and Grundy can't get back on the ground so he takes it upon himself to go up in the ruck, wins it, pushes it forward and Mayne seals the game. Take a bow Rupe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No he's not in our top 22, or our top 30, he may not even crack the top 35. But 5 mins on the clock and Grundy can't get back on the ground so he takes it upon himself to go up in the ruck, wins it, pushes it forward and Mayne seals the game. Take a bow Rupe.

He Tries 100% and that was good bit of play from him but Still not a Long-Medium Term AFL Player

As much as he struggled one great effort led to the goal from Mayne (after the 50)
Yep he played ruck there with Grundy off and followed up really well.

Sadly he didn’t have a great game tonight, and we have players ready to come back in Adams and Sier who are better.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Rupe did very well in his EIGHTH game. If fortune favours him and he manages to string a dozen games together I have no doubt his improvement will shut down all those quick to criticise. Seems a player has to have the flash of a Stephenson and not the grunt of a Tony Shaw to be appreciated these days. Took a loooong time for Taylor Adams to get the acknowledgement he deserved - now they've jumped off him and onto an 8 game player. Oddly enough the Collingwood coaching staff see more in him than all these BF critics - who'd a thunk?

The coaches do their best to ensure he is on the ground as little as possible.

Plays low game time, and at the end of the game when he went on the ground for Grundy, the coaches immediately brought him back off the ground as soon as Grundy was ready... on the field for about 2 minutes after his rest because sitting the game out on the bench. So yes, the coaches do see something and it's quite similar to what Bigfooty posters think, he deserved a chance but he's just not up to it and will be replaced by Sier/Adams soon.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
It's obvious his days are numbered, but all the more reason to celebrate that bit of play, who knows what difference it could make at the end of the year.

Feb 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry he is NOT a AFL Footballer. Has no Impact and does nothing.

Hopefully his last game at AFL Level
He was everywhere before he got winded.
Always in the right spot but lacks the required polish at clutch moments.
Didn't impact the game after that heavy knock.
It's a hard one. He's never really had a good shot at it and I do wonder if he'd step up with more time.
But it's the lack of polish. Positioning really was good at times.
But we do have better players.
Need Adams and Sier back asap

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
Honest trier, 9 games in 4 years tells the story though doesn't it

Happy he's been able to get a run and play his role in some wins, but can't see the run lasting much longer sadly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back