Ruscoe vs Thomas WHE and varcoe

Remove this Banner Ad

Ruscoe avg: 1.3 goals per game

WHE ave: .6 goals per game
C. Brown ave: .4 goals per game
JT ave: .3 goals per game

Varcoe spent a bit of time down back so didn't think it would be fair to include his average (0.1) as it wouldn't be a true average. But yeah it seems Trey breaks even with the other 3 in terms of average per game.
It's a pointless exercise. Ruscoe has not played enough games for anyone to make a judgement. I have seen young blokes come in and hit the scoreboard in their first few games before drying up and ultimately be delisted. Ian Mcorist kicked 6 in his first game and ended up playing a handful of games. Tranquilli kicked 5 goals in what may have been his first game in an upset win over the Eagles at the MCG and he too had a short career.

It's a pointless exercise. Ruscoe has not played enough games for anyone to make a judgement. I have seen young blokes come in and hit the scoreboard in their first few games before drying up and ultimately be delisted. Ian Mcorist kicked 6 in his first game and ended up playing a handful of games. Tranquilli kicked 5 goals in what may have been his first game in an upset win over the Eagles at the MCG and he too had a short career.
Debutants have the factor of being unheralded to anyone outside the club going for them. They are almost always hardly considered in opposition game plans which gives them a free run at it - kicking a handful in their first soon stops that attitude.

Simple as this...
Nathan doesn’t trust kids enough

he will always go back to what he knows—-and that is the older players
You only need to see some of the selections like Varcoe or JT or Greenwood.

He will do the same with Mayne shortly too.

doesnt trust kids enough ?
what about IQ, Noble, CB, TB, Daicos, Stevo
I think you're way off with that comment.

doesnt trust kids enough ?
what about IQ, Noble, CB, TB, Daicos, Stevo
I think you're way off with that comment.

He will always rush an 30yr old into the side as a priority as we have seen.
Look at greenwood and Varcoe.
He will do the same with Mayne.

And it will be at the expense of a young gun like Stephenson who is the only forward who's average goals since 2018 hasn't fallen off a cliff like the others still in the side

He will always rush an 30yr old into the side as a priority as we have seen.
Look at greenwood and Varcoe.
He will do the same with Mayne.

And it will be at the expense of a young gun like Stephenson who is the only forward who's average goals since 2018 hasn't fallen off a cliff like the others still in the side

If Stevo is dropped its due to form not his age.
Find me inform young players that have either have Greenwoods grunt or Mayne and Varcoes postional flexibility and I’ll show you a team sheet with 3 less 30 yo’s.

Ruscoe is no certainty to make it.

Pretty sure Alan Toovey kicked four in his first game. And not many more ever again

Pretty sure Alan Toovey kicked four in his first game. And not many more ever again

Great pickup... a bit of Googling.. he kicked 3 on debut and 9 in his 159 game career.

I remember McOrist and Tranquilli.

Another to mention is Jack Anthony who kicked 2 on debut but more importantly kicked at least one goal in his first 25 games (possibly a club record....most consecutive games from debut to score at least one goal) That career turned out to be a mirage!

Also Ian McMullin who kicked 1 on debut and 5 in a final in hi s second game.

Nothing beats Adrian McAdam for North who started his career with 7, 10, 6, 3, 3 and 9 !!! He only played 36 games but his debut season of 68 goals was one out of the box. Of course Collingwood recruited him and he didnt play another game.....................

Last edited:

I loved watching Andrew Tranquilli dominate the reserves before getting the senior call up. I was probably about 12 or so and we used to go early each week to watch the 2nds and I recall him kicking bags of goals every week for ages. Everyone in my family knew his name before he played a game because I would never shut up about him. Reserves footy....those were the days.

He kicked 6 goals in his third senior game and I was convinced he would kick 1000 for us and play 300 games.

12 games, 20 goals...career over the next season.

Heath Shepherd was another. 5.5 and a cracking spekkie on debut in 1989 - He had some talent but all the attention he got after the debut went straight to his head. Played 11 games for us and was gone.

Great pickup... a bit of Googling.. he kicked 3 on debut and 9 in his 159 game career.

I remember McOrist and Tranquilli.

Another to mention is Jack Anthony who kicked 2 on debut but more importantly kicked at least one goal in his first 25 games (possibly a club record....most consecutive games from debut to score at least one goal) That career turned out to be a mirage!

Also Ian McMullin who kicked 1 on debut and 5 in a final in hi s second game.

Nothing beats Adrian McAdam for North who started his career with 7, 10, 6, 3, 3 and 9 !!! He only played 36 games but his debut season of 68 goals was one out of the box. Of course Collingwood recruited him and he didnt play another game.....................
Jack Anthony was bloody strange. 75 goals in his first two seasons as a young KPF, and he ends up retired before turning 25

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jac k Anthony was bloody strange. 75 goals in his first two seasons as a young KPF, and he ends up retired before turning 25

He was great at leading and marking and deadly accurate when shooting at goal but unfortunately this was the only way he could get the ball and teams figured it out soon enough.

Heath Shepherd another.

He could have had 10 that day!

Wasn’t a Collingwood supporter left VP that day without a stirring in their loins. Shame he never delivered on that potential.

Wasn’t a Collingwood supporter left VP that day without a stirring in their loins. Shame he never delivered on that potential.
My dad couldn't remember someone he met at a dinner two days ago but has never forgotten a Pies player who failed to live up to potential ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back