News Russell Ebert diagnosed with leukemia

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Difficult message to send as I don't want to speculate on the health of Russell Ebert and how much time he has left.
One of the most beautiful moments that I watched was the living tribute to Ted Whitten prior to the State of Origin game all those years ago.
Russell Ebert means so much and is so loved by the Port Adelaide community that I was wondering if the club had reached out to him to pay a similar tribute to him whenever that time may be deemed appropriate. Clearly a difficult subject to discuss for which I propose it with the greatest respect to Russell Ebert and his family.

Russell thinking about trying it on in 1971 :D

R-Ebert.jpg
I think this was taken possibly 1974 other Port player the late Stephen O'Brien?

e347e3dbf7033f4a6a10267b5d2522b4

The Advertiser said:
They are South Australian football royalty with a long list of remarkable moments, but Sunday was as special a day as any for the Ebert family.
The next generation of Ebert – 15-year-old Albert – made his mark with an incredible 16 goals for SMOSH West Lakes in an under-15 match.

To make the occasion even more meaningful, grandfather Russell, the Port Adelaide legend who is battling blood cancer, watched on as his grandson set the ground alight.

While Russell was only able to watch from the car due to his illness, Albert said his personal-best haul meant even more with his grandfather watching.

“Luckily he could come out and watch from the car and see me play a great game,” Albert said.

“Afterwards he told me how proud of me he was.”

Russell would regularly watch Albert and his other grandchildren’s sporting matches before he was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia in December.

Albert’s father Ben Ebert said Sunday was a ray of sunshine during a difficult time for the family.

“It’s been a pretty tough time with everything dad’s going through,” Ben said.

“He’s really positive about it and keeps fighting on, but it has been tough.

“So for a day like that, we all just enjoyed it and had a great day.

“I haven’t been able to wipe the smile off my face ever since.”

21ce14d5445340989341adde6a50f1ba

* which was actually why it was ever Created, I believe it was for Barassi to follow his grandfather... Could be wrong with the who though!
It was for Barassi to be able to follow his father to Melbourne. His father was killed in WW2 and it was a sentimental thing introduced to get him to Melbourne rather than the club he was zoned to

Ron snr was the first VFL player killed in WW2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read Gordon Schwartz's match summary. A journalistic artist with words.

Russell Ebert is blessed with that touch of genius that in football manifests itself in apparent intuition.

Read Gordon Schwartz's match summary. A journalistic artist with words.

Russell Ebert is blessed with that touch of genius that in football manifests itself in apparent intuition.

That Maggie's forward line wouldn't look out of place in the AFL today, and it's interesting to see that John Baruzzi kicked a couple of goals for the chooks.
I thought he was a chance to make the grade at Alberton ( from memory he won a 2nds Magarey) but we had too many better players of a similar type on the list at the time and he had to look elsewhere for a regular league game.

That Maggie's forward line wouldn't look out of place in the AFL today, and it's interesting to see that John Baruzzi kicked a couple of goals for the chooks.
I thought he was a chance to make the grade at Alberton ( from memory he won a 2nds Magarey) but we had too many better players of a similar type on the list at the time and he had to look elsewhere for a regular league game.

I remember Bruce Light tackling him one day, and by tackling I recall a knee to the head after the General barreled him into the ground with his flailing arms and legs. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back