News Russell Ebert diagnosed with leukemia

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Port Adelaide Football Club advises Russell Ebert has been diagnosed with Acute myeloid leukemia, a form of cancer which affects the production and function of blood cells.

Russell was recently diagnosed after a routine health check with his doctor, and has already commenced intensive treatment.

The Australian Football Hall of Fame member and four time Magarey Medallist will undergo treatment over the coming months.

When I saw the title of the email I thought maybe he was retiring, but this is just awful news. He has given so much on and off field to the Club and the wider community, such a champion. All the best to him and his family.

As Teekray has said, I am in remission (following a stem cell transplant – incidentally, stem cells donated by Teekray) from AML.

The treatment is just awful and risky. It will take all of Russell's and his family's strength and we should all pray (or its secular equivalent) for his recovery. Unfortunately, even remission will be a fragile peace.

Incidentally, I ran into John Wynne the other day. Many of you will know that he was from Perth and has returned. He told me that he thought Russell was the best footballer he had ever seen – high praise from someone who played with and against many champions himself in the glory years of the WANFL and SANFL.

But John was more glowing about Russell as "a great bloke". Even higher praise.

Just horrible news. I'm 46 so my memories of the great man actually playing are from around 1980 only. My dad always referred to him as God. In the 30 degree heat and humidity of a Shanghai afternoon in 2018, Herb was busting his arse for the PAFC. An embodiment of the club's creed, a professional footballer before such a thing existed and continued to promote the club through his tireless community work.

Just ficking s**t.

Get well soon Herb.

Genuinely upsetting and shocked.

Best player I have ever seen.

Tried to tell my youngest two sons how good he was both hands both feet, in the air, on the ground, strength.

Met him a few times a gentleman, always time for a chat, photos with the boys. If you squint really hard you can see me standing behind him in the gfg panoramic photo.

All the best to him and his family. Prayers and love for his fight.

THE legend of the club and great of the game.

Acute Myloid Leukemia is bad news. Know several people who have had it and didnt survive more than a few months compared to people with Chronic Myloid Leukemia have survived for several years or got rid of it all together with chemo or radiation treatment.

Good thing is a whole lot of new drugs have been released the last few years, maybe one of them can help get rid of it for Russell.

There was a story last week about the government putting a really expensive leukemia drug on the PBS which means more patients will now have access to it. Will dig around and see if I can find the story and which acute leukimia it treats.

All the best Herb. I reckon there will be a few doctors out there making sure it doesnt get any worse.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well fcuk me, this is bloody awful news. Stay strong Herb, there are many, many people rooting for you.
As GF said, a stinking hot day in Shanghai he was working his arse off to ensure everything was well prepared and still took time out to share with the travelling supporters.

There was a story last week about the government putting a really expensive leukemia drug on the PBS which means more patients will now have access to it. Will dig around and see if I can find the story and which acute leukimia it treats.

All the best Herb. I reckon there will be a few doctors out there making sure it doesnt get any worse.
This is the story I mentioned in my previous post. Its from the 28th. Don't know if it will be used on Russell.

More than 1,000 patients with an incurable type of blood cancer are expected to benefit from a "completely new" treatment that will be subsidised by the Federal Government in the new year.

Darzalex, which will be listed on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) from January 1, is a medicine used to treat multiple myeloma, a cancer that causes cancerous plasma cells to accumulate in bone marrow and crowd out healthy blood cells.

An estimated 18,000 to 20,000 people are living with multiple myeloma and about 1,000 die with it each year, Myeloma Australia chief executive Steve Roach said.

Miles Prince, the director of molecular oncology and cancer immunology at Epworth Health Care, said treatment options for the cancer had been "quite limited".

But he described Darzalex as a "new drug acting in a completely new way" that could allow patients to go for years before needing further treatment.

"For the first time we see amazingly deep responses, for the first time the patient's disease almost disappears — and I emphasise the word almost because it will come back," he said.

"But the deeper we get that response, the longer it lasts for.

"So it becomes actually undetectable for quite some time, and it's the first time we're seeing responses where we just cannot see the myeloma at all. It does come back, but it takes a long time."

Multiple myeloma is similar to leukemia in that it affects blood cells, but is a different disease.

David Wildy seemed to have spoken to Russell pretty recently, said he's up for the battle but in typical Russell fashion (that we love about him) said there are people worse off than him and he's had a great life.
Wildy has spent a lot of time with Russell, regularly plays tennis with him, as he served many years in the MFS with his oldest son Ben.

This is the story I mentioned in my previous post. Its from the 28th. Don't know if it will be used on Russell.

More than 1,000 patients with an incurable type of blood cancer are expected to benefit from a "completely new" treatment that will be subsidised by the Federal Government in the new year.

Darzalex, which will be listed on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) from January 1, is a medicine used to treat multiple myeloma, a cancer that causes cancerous plasma cells to accumulate in bone marrow and crowd out healthy blood cells.

An estimated 18,000 to 20,000 people are living with multiple myeloma and about 1,000 die with it each year, Myeloma Australia chief executive Steve Roach said.

Miles Prince, the director of molecular oncology and cancer immunology at Epworth Health Care, said treatment options for the cancer had been "quite limited".

But he described Darzalex as a "new drug acting in a completely new way" that could allow patients to go for years before needing further treatment.

"For the first time we see amazingly deep responses, for the first time the patient's disease almost disappears — and I emphasise the word almost because it will come back," he said.

"But the deeper we get that response, the longer it lasts for.

"So it becomes actually undetectable for quite some time, and it's the first time we're seeing responses where we just cannot see the myeloma at all. It does come back, but it takes a long time."

Multiple myeloma is similar to leukemia in that it affects blood cells, but is a different disease.
Ken Judge died from multiple myeloma. Until now, an incurable and, eventually, fatal disease.

Last edited:
Chemo is such a s**t thing to go through. Experienced a few months of it while young. Be incredibly tough to go through intensive chemo at that age for I'm sure a fairly long period of time.

On GM1925 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Awful news.

My Dad was diagnosed with this same leukemia on Boxing Day 2018 so I've got a bit of knowledge in the area. He'll start intense chemo almost immediately. The initial goal is to put the cancer in remission and then look to do a stem cell transplant. He's right on the borderline age wise for being able to undergo a transplant, I hope he's able to have one. Without the transplant, prognosis is very poor.

My Dad is a little younger but he's now 13 months post transplant and still in remission - there is hope.

All the best Russell, you've got this.
Hopefully age is not the only factor. Russell Ebert would have to be the fittest and healthiest bloke of his age group. I hope this is taken into consideration. All the best to the great man!!

I still remember the day Russ came to coach the North Have PS under 9s. I won a Port towel from him for answering some question correctly. That towel is still around, though threadbare.

Good luck to Russell. I hope treatment is successful and touches him and his family as lightly as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back