News Russell Ebert diagnosed with leukemia

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had he not been injured, people say Barrie could have won 5 MM's. Maybe so.

When Hodgeman (I think) and Peter Woite won their medals, I reckon (stand to be corrected of course) that Russ was the favourite both years, in most pundits' eyes.

So could he have legitimately won 6 of the little bits of tin tied to a ribbon?

Who will ever know!

I think Hodgeman beat him by one vote in 1978, and that was with both umpires voting each game, so basically half a vote.

1975 it was expected to be Davies or Ebert. Davies was never going to win the Magarey, too chirpy, so that was Russell's to lose.

I could never begrudge Woitey his medal. He was fabulous as an undersized centre half back. Much underrated.

The chemo and other drug treatment has knocked Russell around and he was so gaunt, but the good thing was that he was able to talk clearly and didn't appear to be in pain, had a good energy level and was coherent.
For all of his talents and achievements I've quoted ^ to highlight his lack of vanity. Russell could easily have not put himself out there.

If he'd shied away from the public's gaze because the disease has ravaged his appearance we would've understood but nup, he put vanity

to one side to front up and thank the club and us. Guts n class on and off the field.

For all of his talents and achievements I've quoted ^ to highlight his lack of vanity. Russell could easily have not put himself out there.

If he'd shied away from the public's gaze because the disease has ravaged his appearance we would've understood but nup, he put vanity

to one side to front up and thank the club and us. Guts n class on and off the field.
^^^this, and not one mention about how tough going it was for him, just all about the good times he's had, thanking the club and us, and how much he's enjoyed helping others, and then “Onward and upward”. The best.

Having been privileged to see both players at their peaks the Ebert v Robran comparison is extremely tough to call.

When they were opposed in minor round games they tended to play wide of each other and usually shared the honours, but in the early days eg 1971 and 1972 Robran had much the better record in finals and it wasn't until the 1977 gf that Russell showed he could perform at his best on the big day.

As VineValerian has suggested above, Barrie often appeared to be going half pace yet opponents couldn't lay a hand on him, whilst Russell was a power athlete who just brushed them aside before bamboozling them with skill.
To use a comparison with champions from another sport, Robran was Michael Jordan, and Ebert was Charles Barkley.
From the descriptions I've read Robran sounds like Federer, and Ebert like Nadal.

Federer was born to play tennis, and is just about the most graceful athlete I've ever seen do anything. Doesn't seem to be trying and then the ball is past and the game is over.

And Nadal is just a brutal player, matching power with skill and speed to blast through just about any opponent. And both are humble, likeable, down to earth.

Is there an Djokovic equivalent in the SA footy pantheon? IE, technically a great player, but a cantankerous prick that no-one likes and wishes would just piss off, despite the grudging respect for his skills?

Is there an Djokovic equivalent in the SA footy pantheon? IE, technically a great player, but a cantankerous prick that no-one likes and wishes would just piss off, despite the grudging respect for his skills?

Sounds like G Cornes.

Roo and Tex, Chad and Chad?

From the descriptions I've read Robran sounds like Federer, and Ebert like Nadal.

Federer was born to play tennis, and is just about the most graceful athlete I've ever seen do anything. Doesn't seem to be trying and then the ball is past and the game is over.

And Nadal is just a brutal player, matching power with skill and speed to blast through just about any opponent. And both are humble, likeable, down to earth.

From the same era, not a great player but better than he is given credit for, then Graham Cornes.

Paul Bagshaw always struck me as a superior flog despite his Hills farmer image.

Robert Klomp too.

Andrew and Darren Jarman later on.

From the same era, not a great player but better than he is given credit for, then Graham Cornes.

Paul Bagshaw always struck me as a superior flog despite his Hills farmer image.

Robert Klomp too.

Andrew and Darren Jarman later on.

Bagshaw? One ball they called him in the hills.

Bagshaw? One ball they called him in the hills.

He had this really smug air that bugged me.

But Sturt had that effect on me back then. Now they just make me laugh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had this really smug air that bugged me.

But Sturt had that effect on me back then. Now they just make me laugh.

Growing up in the Hills made me hate them more than anything on the planet. They were typical crows supporters well before typical crows supporters existed. Walking into school on a Monday after Port lost to anyone was “character building”.

I’ll never forget that day we lost at Unley by 4pts in 1980 (Granger Day). The train ride up into the hills as the only person in a whole carriage with black and white on was again “character building”. I remember the looks on the faces of the Port supporters on the opposite platform heading towards the city as I stood there in a sea of blue. Mixture of pity and admiration was how I imagined it. In reality they must have all thought I was mad.

But yeah * Sturt.

Growing up in the Hills made me hate them more than anything on the planet. They were typical crows supporters well before typical crows supporters existed. Walking into school on a Monday after Port lost to anyone was “character building”.

I’ll never forget that day we lost at Unley by 4pts in 1980 (Granger Day). The train ride up into the hills as the only person in a whole carriage with black and white on was again “character building”. I remember the looks on the faces of the Port supporters on the opposite platform heading towards the city as I stood there in a sea of blue. Mixture of pity and admiration was how I imagined it. In reality they must have all thought I was mad.

But yeah fu** Sturt.

I love how in three completely different and unrelated threads the outcome has been this.

But yeah fu** Sturt.
Where in the Hills? I grew up there (Coromandel Valley, so Blackwood Primary and High schools) in the 80’s (47 now) and there were a few of us that supported Port at the schools.

But yeah fu** Sturt.

Yeah, * Sturt.

Where in the Hills? I grew up there (Coromandel Valley, so Blackwood Primary and High schools) in the 80’s (47 now) and there were a few of us that supported Port at the schools.

Grew up in Coro Valley but only did 5-6-7 at CVPS. Had a few months at BHS but the didn’t work out.

Who would believe that Rowey apologised for something he said on air?
Herb just being the man he is.

I can remember Russell taking Mark Aiston to task during a call it was something to do with him questioning a players courage or hardness. Aiston was a bit flat afterwards.

I can remember Russell taking Mark Aiston to task during a call it was something to do with him questioning a players courage or hardness. Aiston was a bit flat afterwards.

Aiston talking about courage? Thank * the great man didn’t let that slide.

Was saddened to hear about Russells battle with Luchemia.We have a great health system in Australia.And I'm sure Russell will beat this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back