Russell Ebert elevated to Sport SA Hall of Fame ‘legend’ status

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive avoided coming to this thread for fear of what I would see.
But I can still see him in there, even if he has faded substantially. It's in the eyes, even when the rest of him is shrouded in an unfamiliar cloke.
The substantial shock was his skin colour.
Is this a progression of the disease or a result of the treatment he is receiving?

But I can still see him in there, even if he has faded substantially. It's in the eyes, even when the rest of him is shrouded in an unfamiliar cloke.
Is this a progression of the disease or a result of the treatment he is receiving?
Treatment can causes alterations to skin pigmentation. Decline in liver function will also do it.
Had a tear when I saw the pictures this morning. I know a lot here are saying things like this are a bit of a joke, we all know how good the great man is but he looks happy. It obviously means a lot to him, we should be celebrating that.

Whats quite sad is that it took Russell to be really sick for them to finally do this.

He should have been inducted years ago and well before some of the other 'legends'

Almost too hard to look at how much he has deteriorated in the last 6 months.

Love you Russ

Who are the legends you claim are unworthy?

Honestly I think these Hall of Fame things are a sham. I'm pleased Russell has been recognised but I don't need a bunch of stuffed shirts from the Adelaide Club to tell me how monumental Russell's contribution has been to Port Adelaide, South Australian and Australian football and the community.

I mean, look at the list of sportspeople who have preceded him into Legend status - Only Sir Donald Bradman, Bart Cummings, Victor Richardson, Gillian Rolton, Anna Meares and Ebert’s long-time friend and former rival Barrie Robran have been bestowed with “legend” status since the Hall of Fame was inaugurated in 2010. How he was not already in this company, and ahead of most of it, is a farce. Chris Dittmar would have probably been in ahead of Russell if he hadn't been so sick.

I apologise for going off on a tangent, but this belated recognition makes me angry. As I said, I'm pleased Russell has received this recognition, but he's been a legend in my and many others' eyes for many, many years and it is disgraceful this has not happened sooner.

<end rant>
Well said Ford

A former team mate of Russell's who I see quite a bit of, told me a couple of stories that I have his permission to share with you all.

When Russ was in hospital Peter Woite had a birthday bash with many ex-team mates there. No-one was expecting Russell to show up but he did.

He was given a lot of love that arvo and said to my mate "I'm going to check myself out of hospital tomorrow" and he did.

Since that time he and others have spent a lot of time with Russell.

Some weeks ago, said mate asked him if he was interested in seeing his grandson's GF for St Michaels. Russell wasn't sure so hedged his bets

not knowing if he was up to it and or not wanting to be a distraction. Well he got talked into it.

His grandson kicked the first goal and St Michaels built up quite a lead before the oppo mounted a comeback hitting the front with less than 5mins left.

With only a couple of minutes remaining St Michaels forced the ball forward and yep you guessed it. His grandson clunked a mark and slotted it.

Russell had the broadest of grins and thanked my source for talking him in to going.

Last edited:
Will always remember that end over end handball to Greg Boyd,was a thing of beauty. Boyd promptly smashed it out on the full!!!

Was at that game as a teenager, 1980 second semi final against Sturt we thrashed them, never forget it tackles a Sturt player wins the ball and on his knees a 30 metre handball straight to Greg Boyd in full flight. Have never seen anything like it since.
Absolute God.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Breaks my heart 💔 to see him like this his only 72.
I'm not lucky enough to remember watching him play but my father and uncles have great stories and memories.
Hopefully he can come good but looks very weak I had to learn how to walk ,talk and even stand up again and have come reasonably good but I was 35☹️.
What really pisses me off is why such a great human gets feed such a s**t sandwich but some evil people never have a health problem 🤷 no fair.

Port Adelaide great and four-time Magarey Medallist Russell Ebert has become just the seventh member of the South Australian Sport Hall of Fame to be elevated to “legend” status.
The three-time SANFL premiership winner, who played 392 senior games for the Magpies and dominated South Australian football in the 1970s and ‘80s, was unanimously recognised this week by the Hall of Fame Board of Governors as an athlete who holds “a revered place within the community” and delivered “exceptional performances that are almost beyond belief”.

Only Sir Donald Bradman, Bart Cummings, Victor Richardson, Gillian Rolton, Anna Meares and Ebert’s long-time friend and former rival Barrie Robran have been bestowed with “legend” status since the Hall of Fame was inaugurated in 2010.
On Thursday, Robran and Hall of Fame selection committee member Bruce McAvaney presented the award to Ebert and his wife Di at their home.
Robran paid tribute to the long-time Port Adelaide captain’s skills on the football field and the influence he had on South Australians throughout his playing career, while McAvaney lauded Ebert’s community work to reduce domestic violence, educate youth and support children with disability.

Upon learning of the award, Ebert – who has been battling an acute myeloid leukemia diagnosis since December last year – said he was “uncomfortable being elevated above others but I honestly believe this is about the contribution of my family, the club and community that have contributed along the way”.
“These types of awards are for everyone no matter what small or large part they played and so I thank everyone for the part they have played in my journey and in this acknowledgment,” he said.

“They all deserve a piece of the acknowledgement for themselves.
“I feel this represents our great state, our sporting community and clubs and in particular our sporting volunteers.”

https://indaily.com.au/sport/2021/1...ell-ebert-named-sport-sa-hall-of-fame-legend/
So Port's famous #7 becomes the 7th Legend in the pantheon of sporting heroes. :D

7 Magarey Medals between them. How lucky were we to have two absolute champions of the game playing opposed to each other. Throw in Malcolm Blight for a short time as well.

During chemo my liver gave up and I turned yellow was only temporary hopefully Russ comes good ❤️

I hope you don't mind the intrusion, but I wanted to post something about the great man.

I was saddened and quite disturbed to see the picture of Ebert and the accompanying article, as it was obviously that he was not well, it got me thinking... here goes.

My memory goes back to having first heard, as a kid, of the performances of Russell Ebert as WA was leading up to play SA in State games, as his exploits on the football field were richly praised in the media in Perth.

Naturally when there is such a big build up in regards to a player, there is expectations..................he didn't disappoint - skillfull, fair, hard at it, a fierce competitor and someone with a never say die attitude.

But what stood out, for me, above all the above characteristics of his game was this - PRIDE.

Now I am an old fart, but the pride that past players showed when they played for their State was the sort of thing that did and still does, give me the goose bumps.

It was symbolic of the ethnocentricity that comes with the love and regard for the place where you were born and raised.
Further more it was a determination and expectation to represent your community, at what ever stage or level you were asked, to the very best of your ability.

It is in many ways now an emotion and attitude thats been diluted by mobility, in all its social forms.

My late parents and my grandparents ( both sides ), had taught and preached that you should " never forget where you come from " and always honour and respect your forebears, your neighbours and your community, as your actions and behaviour are a reflection on them as well, be that implied or perceived.

Sport is in many ways a microcosm of our communities as we compete with pride ( there is that word again ) and honour when we represent them on the sporting stage, no matter at what level.

When a person makes such a mark, such an impression, such an example of the great and good virtues of sporting life and life in general, then it's impossible that they don't garner RESPECT.

Make no mistake , Russell Ebert is a man strongly revered outside of SA.

I wish him and his family all the best, as I have nothing but admiration for him and I am truely indebted to him, for his contribution towards helping to create the fabric and folklore, that the DNA of Australian Rules Football has given me.

So here is a toast, a nod of the head and much respect from me to a South Australian and Australian Legend. 🍻

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind the intrusion, but I wanted to post something about the great man.

I was saddened and quite disturbed to see the picture of Ebert and the accompanying article, as it was obviously that he was not well, it got me thinking... here goes.

My memory goes back to having first heard, as a kid, of the performances of Russell Ebert as WA was leading up to play SA in State games, as his exploits on the football field were richly praised in the media in Perth.

Naturally when there is such a big build up in regards to a player, there is expectations..................he didn't disappoint - skillfull, fair, hard at it, a fierce competitor and someone with a never say die attitude.

But what stood out, for me, above all the above characteristics of his game was this - PRIDE.

Now I am an old fart, but the pride that past players showed when they played for their State was the sort of thing that did and still does, give me the goose bumps.

It was symbolic of the ethnocentricity that comes with the love and regard for the place where you were born and raised.
Further more it was a determination and expectation to represent your community, at what ever stage or level you were asked, to the very best of your ability.

It is in many ways now an emotion and attitude thats been diluted by mobility, in all its social forms.

My late parents and my grandparents ( both sides ), had taught and preached that you should " never forget where you come from " and always honour and respect your forebears, your neighbours and your community, as your actions and behaviour are a reflection on them as well, be that implied or perceived.

Sport is in many ways a microcosm of our communities as we compete with pride ( there is that word again ) and honour when we represent them on the sporting stage, no matter at what level.

When a person makes such a mark, such an impression, such an example of the great and good virtues of sporting life and life in general, then it's impossible that they don't garner RESPECT.

Make no mistake , Russell Ebert is a man strongly revered outside of SA.

I wish him and his family all the best, as I have nothing but admiration for him and I am truely indebted to him, for his contribution towards helping to create the fabric and folklore, that the DNA of Australian Rules Football has given me.

So here is a toast, nod of the head and much respect from me to a South Australian and Australian Legend. 🍻

Spot on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back