Club History Russell Ebert - Port Adelaide Champion of Champions

Remove this Banner Ad

Russell Ebert was a Port Adelaide champion and the idol of many a young Port supporter through the 1960s, 70s and 80s.

Russell played 392 games for Port Adelaide for three premierships and won the Magarey Medal on 4 occasions - 1971, 74, 76 and 80. In his 1976 triumph his domination of the competition was so complete he polled 42 votes with one umpire awarding votes each game (10 x 1st preference, 6 x 2nd preference).

Here's Russell winning the 1976 medal

In his first season of SA league football in 1968 he topped Port's goalkicking filling in at full forward. At 185cm and around 88kg Russell was the size of many a KPP in those days but with the skills and agility of any small rover.

He won Port's best and fairest 6 times, captained and coached the club.

In 1979 he spent a season with North Melbourne, training with Port during the week and travelling to Melbourne to play on weekends. Despite occasional ill-informed comment, Russell (who turned 30 years of age during the 1979 season) had a stellar year with North. In his first and only year at VFL level, Russell played 25 games for North Melbourne, kicked 15 goals, polled 9 Brownlow Medal votes (3rd highest for North that year, behind Gary Dempsey and Ross Glendinning and ahead of North’s recognised VFL stars such as Malcolm Blight, Keith Greig, Stan Alves and Wayne Schimmelbusch), and accumulated 534 possessions for the season back when that was a measure of impact on a game, especially for a player with Russell’s sublime skills. Ron Barassi had no doubt that had Ebert joined the VFL at a younger age he would have been a champion of that competition, just as he was at Port Adelaide. Thankfully, Russell’s commitment was to Port Adelaide.

Mere numbers don't do Russell justice, you really had to see him play to appreciate his unique blend of power and startling skills. In fact, you can! (check out the young Bruce MacAvaney)

For the younger posters here he is the father of Brett Ebert, and the uncle of Brad Ebert. Russell's brother Craig (Brad's dad) also played 112 games for Port. Up to 2013 at least Russell has been involved with promotions at the club, going out to do skills sessions and the like at junior clubs.

Jim Dixon

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Never seen a better player then Russell Ebert. Totally professional, totally committed, totally awesome. He dominated the 70's and early 80's the way Gary Ablett does today.

And that video documentary is a gem. Craig Bradley looks about 14 in his interview.

scotty13

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tracy Vilage Razorbacks
Really wish I was able to see the great man play. Unfortunately I wasnt, but love watching any footage of him!

Really wish I was able to see the great man play. Unfortunately I wasnt, but love watching any footage of him!

He was the most powerful of midfielders imaginable

Mar 9, 2014
Madelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It was an absolute privilege to watch Russell play week after week, for over a decade. Strong as an ox, tough, durable, displayed incredible endurance, and majestically skillful: a magnificent kick on both sides. He was the best exponent of the drop-kick I ever saw. I remember watching tv highlights of a game when he played for North Melbourne and hearing the crowd murmur in surprise, awe and appreciation after one of Russell's drop kicks hit a teammate's chest 50m away - the drop kick had long disappeared from the VFL by this time. He had huge hands - the ball looked somehow smaller in the vice-like grip of one of his hands. He was a magnificent mark and, as REH Handball can attest, handballed like no other. l loved the way he would run and dodge oncoming players by altering his course at the last minute, bouncing the ball simultaneously. Not only was he an absolute football champion he has always been approachable and generous with his time. It was heartening seeing him at Alberton in the Fos Williams Stand last Saturday.

Jim Dixon

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The one thing about Russell Ebert that I don't understand is, why didn't it work out with him and coaching? Was it just that he was unlucky coaching Port when both Glenelg and North Adelaide were so strong, or was it just not something he was suited to?

I don't buy this 'great players don't make great coaches' crap- Fos Williams and John Cahill were great players as well as great coaches. Same with Ron Barassi, Malcolm Blight, Leigh Matthews, etc.

I can understand him not being successful at Woodville though. No shame in that. Good on him for having a go, I think. But it was sad he fell out with the club after 1987.

Russell wasn't far off, he had to take over a Port side that was pretty much done in 1983 and rebuilt with kids throughout the following years. He could easily have won a premiership in 1984, we were the best side all year but losing Tony Giles in that ******* state game during the year and then Benny Harris for the GF (and making the mate's choice of bringing Max James in to replace him) sunk us. The young kids were probably cooked by the end of the year and Norwood had recent premiership experience.

But at the end of the day he only won one final in 5 years. he had some miserable luck in a few games, Salisbury coat-hangering Ando, 5 posters against the Bays, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

The one thing I did hear was that he was very negative, if you stuffed up no matter what you would get the message, whereas under Cahill if you stuffed up trying to do the right thing you were encouraged to keep trying. Footballer psyches are delicate things at times. Russell always believed he achieved what he did through hard work and maybe he was unforgiving of those that couldn't do the same.

Russell wasn't far off, he had to take over a Port side that was pretty much done in 1983 and rebuilt with kids throughout the following years. He could easily have won a premiership in 1984, we were the best side all year but losing Tony Giles in that ******* state game during the year and then Benny Harris for the GF (and making the mate's choice of bringing Max James in to replace him) sunk us. The young kids were probably cooked by the end of the year and Norwood had recent premiership experience.

But at the end of the day he only won one final in 5 years. he had some miserable luck in a few games, Salisbury coat-hangering Ando, 5 posters against the Bays, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

The one thing I did hear was that he was very negative, if you stuffed up no matter what you would get the message, whereas under Cahill if you stuffed up trying to do the right thing you were encouraged to keep trying. Footballer psyches are delicate things at times. Russell always believed he achieved what he did through hard work and maybe he was unforgiving of those that couldn't do the same.

Fair summary I think.

We ALL wanted him to succeed.

Russell always believed he achieved what he did through hard work and maybe he was unforgiving of those that couldn't do the same.

Oh yes, Russ set maximum standards, based on his own capabilities.

He's mellowed though, and the love for him at Alberton is palpable.
I'll never forget one evening in Hong Kong last September - reasonably late, the work all done - Tom Logan with his arm around Russ's shoulders as they headed for the taxi... Tom repeating over and over again in Russ's ear:
"I wuv you Wussell. I jus' wuv you Wussell..."

beenreal

Club Legend
Nov 19, 2003
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Fair summary I think.

We ALL wanted him to succeed.

Was playing U19s in 86 and was just in awe of being coached by the great man. What I do remember though is a LOT of grumbling around the change room.

That Prelim in '87 while incredibly unlucky with all those "posters" turned out to be a blessing. Although I was outraged at his sacking and attended the Lighthouse protest, appointing Jack proved crucial, even to the point of our eventual rise to the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

russ_infographic.jpg

Anatomy of a champion

Thanks to Zorro II who posted this in the 2015 membership target 60,000 thread.

Everybody should have a good listen to this to find out about his early life in the Riverland and early days in Adelaide and the most I have ever heard him talk about his days at North Melbourne.

Fly to Melbourne on Tuesday after lunch, train, catch the last plane back, work Wednesday and Thursday morning, catch the lunch time flight with Di and his first 2 kids, train Thursday night, play Saturday and then fly back Sunday morning. As he said he was exhausted by the end of the year and didnt accept Barassi's and Ron Joseph's invitation to go back for a second year in 1980.

Last edited:

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Only other two blokes I have seen do that with the one hand on top of the ball and not under it were Russell Ebert and Anthony Koutoufides. Big Hands!

I remember several years ago on here asking someone to describe the playing style of Russell Ebert, as I wasn't born early enough to have seen him play. I reckon you described him as a prime Kouta, specifically mentioning the one hand pickup.

I remember several years ago on here asking someone to describe the playing style of Russell Ebert, as I wasn't born early enough to have seen him play. I reckon you described him as a prime Kouta, specifically mentioning the one hand pickup.
Yes that was me, I said he was Kouta like but more with the build of Voss than Kouta.

Lou Zyffer

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2005
SE Qld
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Other teams? There's other teams?

Have you youtubed Russell? You'll see some stuff there that'll make you wish you had the privilege of seeing him play live. Most games in the late 60's & '70's weren't filmed so you'll only get a glimpse but even still...
A young Russell Ebert would be a star at any AFL club today such were his skills.

I was a young fella when Russell played but he was still my idol. Now I don't know if time has distorted this memory but I have a vague recollection of Russell around '73, '74 at Alberton gathering the ball just forward of centre heading towards the bowls club end and launching a drop kick through for a goal.

Even if that memory isn't accurate, he had the skills to do it.

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My memories of Russell were in his twilight years in the 80's but still an amazing player who just seemed to have more time than anyone else on the ground as champions do.

Back on topic though and how good are Charlie's hands this year? He has gone from having Rod Marsh iron gloves to Ian Healy levels of glove work in one off season. Amazing turnaround.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Have you youtubed Russell? You'll see some stuff there that'll make you wish you had the privilege of seeing him play live. Most games in the late 60's & '70's weren't filmed so you'll only get a glimpse but even still...
A young Russell Ebert would be a star at any AFL club today such were his skills.

I was a young fella when Russell played but he was still my idol. Now I don't know if time has distorted this memory but I have a vague recollection of Russell around '73, '74 at Alberton gathering the ball just forward of centre heading towards the bowls club end and launching a drop kick through for a goal.

Even if that memory isn't accurate, he had the skills to do it.
I'd love someone to make a quality highlights video

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back