Russia banned from 2020 Olympics and 2022 FIFA World Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Eh.
the athletes themselves can still compete so not sure what this actually does

Eh.
the athletes themselves can still compete so not sure what this actually does
Athletes don't go to the FIFA world cup as athletes, but as a team sport. so that is significant.

Russia wont be able to enter the team sports at the Olympics ie, basketball, baseball, hockey, football, water polo, volleyball, handball, rugby and softball.

Swimmers and athletes can enter races but can't enter the relay as teams.

Rowing and canoeing/kayaking, only individuals can enter, not the pairs, fours or eights events

Cycling no russian team pursuit team, or road race team, but can enter in individual races.

Equestrian has team medals, no Russians can enter that.

The racquet sports have team events doubles and mixed doubles ie tennis, badminton, table tennis.

Then there are diving, fencing, shooting, synchro swimming, gymnastics, sailing and triathlon that have team events as well, that Russian athletes wont be allowed to compete in. I'm sure i have left some out.

Last edited:
The ban is more than the Olympics and FIFA World Cup.

Its a 4 year ban from every WADA accredited sports. So no Russian team at any event be it world cup, world championship, international event, Euro 2020 etc ie over 100 sports including para sports.

Edit some how WADA reckons UEFA events are not being considered a major event organisation when it comes to anti-doping breach rulings so Russia goes to Euro 2020.

Individuals who can prove they are "clean" can entr, but no Russian team with 2 or more individuals, ie they will be potentially banned from all sports outside Russia. Technically inside Russian too, but Putin wont let that happen.

Last edited:
I doubt Russia really cares about the banning - I pose this question - Would WADA have banned Russia from the World Cup in 2022 if it was being held in Russia ?

the Russian propaganda wheels are already turning

Pity the AFL doesn't play by the world sporting rules. Essendon deserved to be banned.

If you can't see the difference between the Essendon case and what Russia was doing then I'm really not sure you have any business continuing to try to make this a thing.

Excuse my ignorance but why teams only??
Has every team in every sport tested +??

I know clean single atheletes can compete under no flag but the mainstream media hasnt really explained all of this.
Not surprising tbh

Individual athletes can compete under no flag; teams cannot.

So even if you took 4 individual track and field athletes who are allowed to compete under no flag, they're not able to enter as a team as far as I know.

Excuse my ignorance but why teams only??
Has every team in every sport tested +??

I know clean single atheletes can compete under no flag but the mainstream media hasnt really explained all of this.
Not surprising tbh
Because the ban applies to Russia - the country - not Russian individuals.

WADA said the government and agencies had systemic doping so the whole nation is given a blanket ban, but allowances have been made for individuals who can prove they are clean, but they are representing themselves not Russia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Systematic
Id like to see numbers just out of curiosity
Youd be pissed if you were a team of 4 and completely clean and it was your only event
Follow the links for some bed time reading (both parts I and II) and you will get your nuumbers. Russia hasn't addressed any of the issues in the report that's why the 4 year ban was issued now not when the report was released.

Systematic
Id like to see numbers just out of curiosity
Youd be pissed if you were a team of 4 and completely clean and it was your only event

As in the Russian government conspired to tamper with doping samples and the lab itself and RUSADA was complicit, so the penalty is that until such time as WADA is satisfied that Russia and RUSADA are operating completely transparently they've continued to outright ban any Russian team from competing.

Individuals who can prove they're operating under WADA guidelines as administered by another anti-doping agency - so training in the US under USADA for example - are allowed to compete as individuals with no flag, but cannot enter as a team unless the competition rules allow them to compete as a team with no flag.

Yes you'd be pissed if you were a team that was missing out due to this.

Not sure why you're seemingly up in arms about this or confused.

If USADA and the US Government was part of a national level tampering then I'd hope they received similar sanctions, instead I'd warrant a guess that it's left to the individual athletes and teams to do their doping in most countries, and be smart enough not to get caught by their anti-doping agencies.

The Essendon players were very lucky to only get a 2 year ban backdated.
In my opinion the players should have got 4 year bans and Essendon should have been kicked out the comp.

You do realise the maximum penalty at the time under the WADA code was 2 years right? It has since been revised to be 4, maybe they would have got it if that had been in place at the time, maybe not.

If USADA and the US Government was part of a national level tampering then I'd hope they received similar sanctions, instead I'd warrant a guess that it's left to the individual athletes and teams to do their doping in most countries, and be smart enough not to get caught by their anti-doping agencies.

USADA went after Armstrong, kept going after him even after Armstrong's legal and financial team got Obama's DoJ to shut down a Grand Jury in February 2012, as Obama didn't want this hanging over the 2012 election.

RUSADA put a hole in the wall to pass piss samples of Russian athletes to FSB officers to swap with clean samples.

The 2 countries doping experiences are completely different. One is state sponsored doping, the other is private sector doping.

Yes up until 2000, when USADA was set up to do anti-doping in USA, the USOC conducted doping tests before the Olympics and hid positive tests of athletes, to make sure they were clean before they went to the Olympics, as revealed by Dr. Wade Exum, director of drug control for the U.S.O.C. from 1991 to 2000 , in 2003, but once again, the USOC is a private organisation and not the US government.

The level of doping in the US probably isn't that much different across all sports than in Russia across all sports, but in the US its not facilitated and/or hidden by the government. Good old private sector doping vs pinko commie bastards doping.

Last edited:
The Essendon players were very lucky to only get a 2 year ban backdated.
In my opinion the players should have got 4 year bans and Essendon should have been kicked out the comp.

on what basis?
that level of sanction would be unprecedented and completely out of line with other doping sanctions.

on what basis?
that level of sanction would be unprecedented and completely out of line with other doping sanctions.
You do realise the maximum penalty at the time under the WADA code was 2 years right? It has since been revised to be 4, maybe they would have got it if that had been in place at the time, maybe not.
I think we agree that the club should have been kicked out the comp as they knew full well what they were doing and in my opinion so did the AFL and that's why they were tipped off when the testers were in town.
You don't destroy records of what you are injecting into players if you have nothing to hide

I think we agree that the club should have been kicked out the comp as they knew full well what they were doing and in my opinion so did the AFL and that's why they were tipped off when the testers were in town.
You don't destroy records of what you are injecting into players if you have nothing to hide

I don't think we agree with this at all; unlike Russia EFC basically cleared out every single party responsible for the administration of the programme that resulted in the player bans. Only a handful of players (who've served their sanctions) remain.

If Russia was to cooperate with WADA as requested then likely they would have avoided the 4 year ban just handed down. But they haven't, because it's a bigger political issue at play for them.

If Essendon had been kicked out of the competition the fans, members and AFL spectators would have suffered most. Not those responsible. Something that foamers seem to miss when getting themselves worked up in to a rage about the whole thing.

I don't think we agree with this at all; unlike Russia EFC basically cleared out every single party responsible for the administration of the programme that resulted in the player bans. Only a handful of players (who've served their sanctions) remain.

If Russia was to cooperate with WADA as requested then likely they would have avoided the 4 year ban just handed down. But they haven't, because it's a bigger political issue at play for them.

If Essendon had been kicked out of the competition the fans, members and AFL spectators would have suffered most. Not those responsible. Something that foamers seem to miss when getting themselves worked up in to a rage about the whole thing.
Glad to see you agree with me that Essendon knew what they were doing when they destroyed the records of what was injected into the players and that the AFL knew about it, hence why they tipped the Bombers off that the testers were in town.
I still think the Essendon should have been made an example of and kicked out the comp

USADA went after Armstrong, kept going after him even after Armstrong's legal and financial team got Obama's DoJ to shut down a Grand Jury in February 2012, as Obama didn't want this hanging over the 2012 election.

RUSADA put a hole in the wall to pass piss sample of Russian athletes to FSB officers to swap with clean samples.

The 2 countries doping experiences are completely different. One is state sponsored doping, the other is private sector doping.

Yes up until 2000, when USADA was set up to do anti-doping in USA, the USOC conducted doping tests before the Olympics and hid positive tests of athletes, to make sure they were clean before they went to the Olympics, as revealed by Dr. Wade Exum, director of drug control for the U.S.O.C. from 1991 to 2000 , in 2003, but once again, the USOC is a private organisation and not the US government.

The level of doping in the US probably isn't that much different across all sports than in Russia across all sports, but in the US its not facilitated and/or hidden by the government. Good old private sector doping vs pinko commie bastards doping.

Agreed; most major US sports don't even abide by the WADA code so we wouldn't have a clue what they get away with, USADA at least appears to make some efforts to pursue dopers instead of cover for them.

Glad to see you agree with me that Essendon knew what they were doing when they destroyed the records of what was injected into the players and that the AFL knew about it, hence why they tipped the Bombers off that the testers were in town.
I still think the Essendon should have been made an example of and kicked out the comp

That was not at all what I said. EFC is not an all inclusive entity. The vast majority of staff and members have no idea what occurs, and there's plenty of posts on this forum that suggests even those connected with the programme didn't fully know what Dank was administering.

You're welcome to your own opinion as to what the sanction should have involved, but the AFL as an entity and the competition itself is worse off without EFC. I hope no club members have to go through the experience that Fitzroy supporters did when their club was effectively folded.

It's also completely irrelevant to this thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back