Russia's invasion of Ukraine and what it means for football

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha not at all. I would like to see Abramovich publicly condemn the invasion and go against Putin. Cancel his Russian nationality. This would seriously undermine Putin & co. I think theres an opportunity to make this happen by threatening to take Chelsea off him and other nations threaten to seize his assets which mostly are not in Russia.
Doubt many would bite the hand that has fed them for so long.

I did not understand why Australia Day should not be celebrated when I was younger, but now that I am informed, I no longer celebrate it.

Perhaps you could do the same with Liverpool. If you did not banish your club back when you were 15/16 because you were naive, is it too late to banish them now that you’re informed?

I've vocally criticised the club for their handling of the incident, I've lended my support to other people with big platforms who have done the same, I don't venerate Suarez in the same way that other fans do and I'm comfortable that the people who were involved in the way the club responded have since realised that they made a number of mistakes (see Carragher's comments on Sky a few years back for example). I'm comfortable that I'm not engaging in any hypocritical behaviour as a result.

You're a Chelsea fan right? If you're so insistent that I abandon the club because of Suarez's racism, I will look forward to you walking out on Chelsea after they make their next Captain. Leader. Legend. post on social media.

Doubt many would bite the hand that has fed them for so long.

Generally no but that hand may not be around for too much longer. I would love to see Abramovich turn on Putin.

Most of his assets are also out of reach of Putin and Abramovich would be nothing without them. Time to put the pressure on.

I've vocally criticised the club for their handling of the incident, I've lended my support to other people with big platforms who have done the same, I don't venerate Suarez in the same way that other fans do and I'm comfortable that the people who were involved in the way the club responded have since realised that they made a number of mistakes (see Carragher's comments on Sky a few years back for example). I'm comfortable that I'm not engaging in any hypocritical behaviour as a result.

You're a Chelsea fan right? If you're so insistent that I abandon the club because of Suarez's racism, I will look forward to you walking out on Chelsea after they make their next Captain. Leader. Legend. post on social media.
I’m not insistent on anything at all. You admitted that had you been older, your response to the Suarez incident may have been different. All I’m saying is that it’s not too late to rectify something if you feel guilty over it, but clearly you don’t, so play on.

Tuchels take on it.

"We should not pretend that this is not an issue," Tuchel said. "The situation in general, for me and for my staff and for everybody here at Cobham, for the players, is horrible.

"Nobody expected this. It’s pretty unreal, it’s clouding our minds, it’s clouding excitement towards the [Carabao Cup] final and it brings huge uncertainty.

"To a certain degree I can understand it to such a degree the opinions and the critical opinions towards the club, towards us who represent that club. I can understand that and we cannot fully free ourselves from it.

“Maybe people understand that me as a coach or the players, we don’t have the insight what is really going on. At the moment we don’t feel responsible for all this. We feel that it is horrible and there can be no doubt about it. War in Europe was unthinkable for me for a long period.

“The impact is clear and the discussions have an impact. Let’s be a bit more patient and understand what the measurements will be and then we have to maybe deal with it"

Tuchels take on it.

"We should not pretend that this is not an issue," Tuchel said. "The situation in general, for me and for my staff and for everybody here at Cobham, for the players, is horrible.

"Nobody expected this. It’s pretty unreal, it’s clouding our minds, it’s clouding excitement towards the [Carabao Cup] final and it brings huge uncertainty.

"To a certain degree I can understand it to such a degree the opinions and the critical opinions towards the club, towards us who represent that club. I can understand that and we cannot fully free ourselves from it.

“Maybe people understand that me as a coach or the players, we don’t have the insight what is really going on. At the moment we don’t feel responsible for all this. We feel that it is horrible and there can be no doubt about it. War in Europe was unthinkable for me for a long period.

“The impact is clear and the discussions have an impact. Let’s be a bit more patient and understand what the measurements will be and then we have to maybe deal with it"

Dealt with admirably by Tuchel.

Fair enough mate, I think its fair enough to point out different supporter bases biased responses(not saying you are) but im not comparing the magnitude of these event. This issue goes beyond just football.

I guess all we can do as fans is have faith in the government to do the right thing, if Roman is complicit in the invasion of Ukraine surely he'll be sanctioned.

The way I see it I was a Chelsea fan before he came along and I'll still be one after he leaves. Roman is a part of Chelsea FC atm, he isn't Chelsea FC.
I'm with you 100% here as a fellow Chelsea supporter.

Became a fan during the Bates years, and will be a fan long after Abramovich is gone assuming this is the end of his tenure with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he wants to walk away from Chelsea but not sell Chelsea. But wants to walk away from them because he doesn't want them getting attention because he doesn't want to walk away from Putin.

Classy.

There are 6 trustees in the foundation

John Richard Devine

Paul Ramos

Piara Powar

Emma Hayes

Sir Hugh Michael Robertson MP

Bruce Michael Buck (Also a trustee of The Chelsea Players' Trust)

Chelsea Charitable Foundation does the following

"Chelsea FC Foundation is the official charity affiliated to and supported by Chelsea Football Club, providing (i) sports coaching and facilities for participation in football, other healthy sports and recreation; (ii) educational services, including social inclusion and anti-racism projects; (iii) support for other charitable initiatives, including the environment and welfare of children."

Isn't that up to the government?

They still haven't sanctioned him for anything yet.
Probably at a another party at the moment. They’re also busy stopping the processing of visas to fleeing Ukrainians

Nothing statement IMHO no condemnation of the war or Putin still owns the club. We know were Roman’s loyalties lies to the man who made him. Will be interested if Boris “all mouth and trousers” has it in him to seriously sanction Abramovich. I would say no because all that Russian money has helped his side of politics over the last 30 years.

Last edited:
So what does this actually mean?

For example - if Tuchel went on a rubbish run of results and he got the sack would that be the Foundation's decision to sack him?
No, it would still be Granovskaia and Petr Cechs decision like it has been for a while. Roman had already handed over the day to day running of the club.

No, it would still be Granovskaia and Petr Cechs decision like it has been for a while. Roman had already handed over the day to day running of the club.

So what's changed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back