All Australian
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Aston Villa
Is anyone playing Rust?

It’s an early access game on Steam that started out as a DayZ clone and has grown from there to now be a mix of both DayZ and Minecraft.

I’ve only played about 20 minutes of this last night, and granted it is early access so it’s still quite raw and buggy, but it has something special about it, much like DayZ when it first came out as a mod.

I haven't gotten very far with resource collecting and base building yet, but I think this game could be awesome.

Here is a description from the official website http://playrust.com

Rust is a survival game created by Facepunch Studios. Inspired by games like DayZ, Minecraft and Stalker – Rust aims to create a hostile environment in which emergent gameplay can flourish.

The aim of the game is to survive. To do this the player should gather resources. Hitting a tree with a rock will give you wood, hitting a rock with a rock will give you rock and ore. You can then craft a hatchet from the wood and rock, allowing you to gather faster. You can go out and hunt a variety of wildlife such as boars, chickens, rabbits, bears, wolves and deer. Once you have killed an animal you can butcher it to gather its meat and skin. You can craft a fire using wood and cook the meat inside the fire. Then you can eat.

You face two major dangers in game.

Rust is a multiplayer game, so there will be other players trying to survive in the same way that you are. Unfortunately for you they can find you, kill you and take your stuff. Fortunately for you – you can kill them and take their stuff. Or maybe you can make friends and help each other survive. Rust’s world is harsh – so you might need to make friends to survive.

The environment is not kind. Bears and wolves will chase and kill you. Falling from a height will kill you. Being exposed to radiation for an extended period will kill you. Starving will kill you. Being cold will kill you.

Not playing it but it sounds a lot like 7 Days to Die, another game I'm yet to play. Both on my wishlist though.

I have played on server Australia #1. It seems to be the most populated.

I might have a bit of a look at some of the private servers to see what they have to offer over the next week or so.

I haven't had a problem with FPS so far.

I played on a low pop server earlier, and amassed a huge amount of resources in no time at all, but there wasn't much player interaction to be had. Each situation has it's advantages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really solid game. Me and a mate have been trying to build a house but we get raided fairly often. Best advice i can give is get a proper house with a metal door ASAP.

I'm a little worried, Garry is a stubborn man who refuses to implement features or removes them for no solid reason.

And yes, I've tried conversing with him a few times in regards to Gmod, negotiations have been short.

Nevertheless early signs are good, a lot to build on.

Aaaaargh!

Spent the better part of the last few days farming wood and metal to build a base.

I'm putting the finishing touches on a bad ass 3 story compound, then I go to log on this morning, and the server is nowhere to be seen!

FUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back