Analysis Rusty's 2024 Player List and Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Here is where we are at.

I will post twice weekly, when the season gets underway.
->Once when the team is announced. I will change the Best 23.
->Once when results are known after the full round is completed. This will include injuries and absence(availability) including estimated time out as advised by the club. See Mills as an example. Scoring and position on the table will be included in the Home & Away Fixture columns.

Rustys List.png

Attachments

• Rustys List.png
    Rustys List.png
    909.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited by a moderator:

Here is where we are at.

->Once when results are known after the full round is completed. This will include injuries and absence(availability) including estimated time out as advised by the club. See Mills as an example. Scoring and position on the table will be included in the Home & Away Fixture columns.

View attachment 1893817
Terrific resource thanks Rusty

Thanks for the update Rusty. Based on your list there, 16 of the 44 players were taken from the rookie or mid season draft. Only a guess but would think that is a very high number compared to other teams.

Here is where we are at.

View attachment 1893817
Excellent colour co-ordination regarding player positioning, nice layout, good use of images, great use of relevent stats, provided informational sources, easy to look at, as well as having our fixture list being a nice added touch. Dare I say it, rusty excels at using Excel. Good work, son.

Excellent colour co-ordination regarding player positioning, nice layout, good use of images, great use of relevent stats, provided informational sources, easy to look at, as well as having our fixture list being a nice added touch. Dare I say it, rusty excels at using Excel. Good work, son.
Struggled to read this so I went to the Optometrist. He said I was colour blind. That news really came out of the purple.

Well we are all just waiting for that team drop. Me too.
Some thoughts on our list.

Rucks.
Verdict: We are oversubscribed.
We have potentially the second best ruck behind Gawn. Brodie can get around the ground as well as ruck.
McLean as a forward can ruck too. Complements Grundy who likes to ruck solo. A great combo.
In the wings
Ladhams. Ready to go. And ready to go nuts also. Hopefully the screws have been tightened.
Stretch may push Ladhams. Hope so. I would like him to come on. He is tall. Even for a ruck.
Green. The wonder boy. Hope they blood him. But that would be too much. Let him develop.

Mids
Verdict: We are oversubscribed.
Inside mids. Parker, Adams, Rowbottom, Sheldrick. Others include Gulden, Warner, Roberts, Cleary.
Outside mids. Gulden, Warner, McInerney, Campbell, Jordon, Corey Warner, Mitchell.

Forwards
Verdict: We have 3 talls that are young and relatively experienced. McDonald, McLean and Amartey. All have done an apprenticeship under Buddy. They have a license to run free this year. Buller can figure here too. Don't write him off.
Medium talls in Heeney and Hayward are well over 100 gamers.
Smalls in Papley and Wicks are both attacking and defensively very good. Konstanty, a high draft pick, is expected to challenge for this position this year hopefully.

Defenders
We are stacked with experienced defenders.
Talls. McCartin is our gun. But he has a chink in that he has been concussed like his brother. Hopefully that is not an issue.
Hamling is an experienced recruit this year. Does he get a gig straight up?
Rampe is still 3rd tall. The wily old campaigner.
Others in the tall mix are Francis and Arnold. Francis has runs on the board. Edwards and Snell are developing.
Mediums. Rampe, Lloyd, Florent, Blakey. Vickery and Magor. What can you say? Roberts is apparently odds on here if changes occur. Typically we migrate mids to this position and Roberts is apparently proving the rule.
Small defender. Cunningham. Corey Warner?

Swans2024.png

looking forward to the Practice matches to get some clarity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Opening Round Post Match Update

Injury early prognosis

Adams is out of a leg brace but is yet to resume training, while Parker will be assessed again in three weeks. The only injury from the weekend was a fractured finger for Sheldrick in the VFL, which will sideline him for up to a month. Sam Reid played in the VFL team on the weekend, but the Swans will take a cautious approach given his injury history. - Martin Smith

SS List.png

Opening Round Post Match Update

Injury early prognosis

Adams is out of a leg brace but is yet to resume training, while Parker will be assessed again in three weeks. The only injury from the weekend was a fractured finger for Sheldrick in the VFL, which will sideline him for up to a month. Sam Reid played in the VFL team on the weekend, but the Swans will take a cautious approach given his injury history. - Martin Smith

View attachment 1926036
I love the gradient stuff on those multi-positional players Rusty! Might be worth adding one to Papley's as well given his high midfield rotations?

I love the gradient stuff on those multi-positional players Rusty! Might be worth adding one to Papley's as well given his high midfield rotations?
Yep. While Parker and Adams and Co are out, Papley will rotate through the middle a bit. Done.
I've lost the gradient colours on the teams in The Home and Away Fixture. It just won't come across. More fiddling needed.

That looks better.
SS List.png

Last edited:
Yep. While Parker and Adams and Co are out, Papley will rotate through the middle a bit. Done.
I've lost the gradient colours on the teams in The Home and Away Fixture. It just won't come across. More fiddling needed.

That looks better.
View attachment 1926101
Good effort doing this Rusty

Given the type of players that are out injured, really have little to no experience at senior level outside of last week's 23 in the "non-tall" positions.

Warner Jr, Mitchell, Magor, Konstanty, Vickery, Cleary. Three senior games between them, all to younger Warner.

Given the type of players that are out injured, really have little to no experience at senior level outside of last week's 23 in the "non-tall" positions.

Warner Jr, Mitchell, Magor, Konstanty, Vickery, Cleary. Three senior games between them, all to younger Warner.
There are players in the team in the defenders and forwards that can replace these players.

Sydney are unique IMO in that defenders are recruited from the mids. This is our speciality. And it makes sense.

Mids also migrate forward but to a lesser degree.

So our big problem now with Parker, Adams, Mills, Sheldrick out....the cupboard is bare.
No.
We have Heeney, Papley in the forwards who can go in the guts.
We have Florent, Rampe even Lloyd and McInerney that can at a pinch go inside and play a role.
Lots of other players can back fill.

It is not as dire as it seems.

It is also a credit to the recruiters and the coaching team that we have players capable to fill positions outside their perview. Mills played back for years. Because we needed him to. Heeney was a mid, but his talents led him forward. Papley was a forward but his talents led him to centre bounces. Rampe and Lloyd and Blakey and Florent were all mids. Now defenders. Roberts is following this trend.

Back to the main point. We have players in the team that can backfill inside.

Round 1 - Post Match List Update

Injury update​

There were no major injuries from the win over Collingwood, with Tom Papley right to go despite copping a knock on the knee late in the game. Adams and Parker are still a few weeks away, with Adams out of a brace and doing some work at training and Parker keeping his running loads up as he recovers from a broken arm. - Martin Smith

SS List.png

This is a fantastic resource.

It will be a really good ready reference for later in the season if you want to go back and check something from previous rounds.

Great effort, thanks again rustycrate. :thumbsu:
Thanks Hairy Biker. It has been years in the making and evolved over time. It would not have been as good without many contributions, criticisms, ideas, corrections etc from many on this board including you. I want to mention Kiama Chris as well. His idea helped me get through a structural change that enabled me to make significant improvements.

I love tinkering with it. It makes me think about the team. It helps me a lot about predicting things in the future when it is all laid out in pictorial form. I never understood the team and the squad until I seriously set about creating this spreadsheet. I do now.

This spreadsheet helped me, not confidently but on gut feel and list need, predict we pick up Green in the draft.

If I'm bored I tinker a little and think about the Swans team.

Thanks Hairy Biker. It has been years in the making and evolved over time. It would not have been as good without many contributions, criticisms, ideas, corrections etc from many on this board including you. I want to mention Kiama Chris as well. His idea helped me get through a structural change that enabled me to make significant improvements.

I love tinkering with it. It makes me think about the team. It helps me a lot about predicting things in the future when it is all laid out in pictorial form. I never understood the team and the squad until I seriously set about creating this spreadsheet. I do now.

This spreadsheet helped me, not confidently but on gut feel and list need, predict we pick up Green in the draft.

If I'm bored I tinker a little and think about the Swans team.
I'm struggling with it but will get there Sir Crate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back