RWC 3rd place play off: Australia v Wales

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For Wales:thumbsdown:
The pressure is off him now. I think he will relish the lack of scruitiny heading into the game and his performance will show this.

Having sad that, he needs to make a number of fundamental changes to his game over the next year if he wants to become more than just an "excitement machine". He posesses all the qualities and showed in Super 15 that he can direct and control a team like a #10 should. But ever since the Test series started at the beginning of the year, he went back to attempting to be the number 1 excitement player and his playmaking qualities suffered as a result. He needs to work on controlling the team like a fly-half should and his individual brilliance will come on the back of this. Not the other way around.

I think the pressure on Cooper will be more intense against Wales. From a media and fan prospective anyway. Got a lot to prove since the Ireland match.

I have a feeling Wales will win this comfortably (say 15 points). I think they'll care more about it...they'll have a lot of frustration to let out given what happened in the semi final and a win over a tri nations team will still be a big deal for them. On top of that they're in better form, they'll have had an extra day's rest in between and the crowd will be behind them.

Depends whether we pick the right side AuckMel. I actually hope we trial a new halves pairing, this game is a lost cause. That said it usually is the most entertaining match of the tournament, with teams going for tries.

I'd love to see Barnes at 10 and JOC at 12 to see how that goes but I just don't think Deans would drop Cooper after sticking with him all tournament. Wouldn't want to deal with the headlines and inuendo methinks.

JOC just needs to get closer to the ball. Either stick him at fullback so he can return kicks or put him at 12 to see how it goes.

Higginbotham and Horne should get starts too.

Wales (15-1): Leigh Halfpenny; George North, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, Shane Williams; James Hook, Mike Phillips; Ryan Jones, Toby Faletau, Dan Lydiate; Luke Charteris, Bradley Davies; Paul James, Huw Bennett, Gethin Jenkins (capt). Replacements: Lloyd Burns, Ryan Bevington, Alun Wyn Jones, Andy Powell, Lloyd Williams, Stephen Jones, Scott Williams

Australia (15-1): Kurtley Beale; James O'Connor, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Berrick Barnes, Digby Ioane; Quade Cooper, Will Genia; Ben McCalman, David Pocock, Scott Higginbotham; Nathan Sharpe, James Horwill (capt); Salesi Ma'afu, Tatafu Polota Nau, James Slipper. Replacements: Saia Fainga'a, Ben Alexander, Rob Simmons, Radike Samo, Luke Burgess, Anthony Fainga'a, Rob Horne

I agree James O'Connor is wasted on the wing, Digby Ioane to a degree too but i think Ioane is set there. O'Connor needs to see more of the ball and get into the game, either at inside-centre or fullback. Beale can play centre of flyhalf if Cooper continues to struggle. Good to see Higginbotham get a start but alas it's all too late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back