Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
The Bogeymen: who's coming to get your team in round 19?
Ryan Bastinac

bastinac260717.jpg

The former Roo played the third-best game of his career when these sides met in the middle of last year, notching up 29 disposals, seven score involvements and five intercept possessions.

Rating: 109

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Ryan Bastinac’s individual efforts kept the Lions in the hunt in the dying stages.

“Basti” kicked two crucial late goals and had 18 disposals for the afternoon. Hudson has been pleased by his progress this season. “To Ryan’s credit he spent a bit of time earlier in the year in the NEAFL and worked on things the coaching staff put to him. To his credit he’s put in a couple of really good performances.”

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Bastinac giving back to Lions, with interest
BRISBANE midfielder Ryan Bastinac says he's benefited from his own personal honesty session with coach Chris Fagan.

The former Kangaroo played all 22 games in his first season as a Lion in 2016, but after two rounds this year, the 26-year-old found himself back in the NEAFL with Brisbane's seconds.

Bastinac said he wasn't "playing with the intensity that I needed". "I didn't realise that until Fages brought it up with me," he said. "He said you just don't look interested every now and then. "I thought I did, but obviously the coach sees it differently and it was good hearing that. "It's been a real positive for me. I've done so much work to try and improve that - make sure my effort is always there, always on my toes, ready to go."

Not since his final year at North Melbourne had his position in a senior line-up been under such scrutiny. "You really appreciate playing AFL," said the 156-gamer, drafted in 2009. "When you're not there it hurts and you just want to be back playing at the highest level."

While his possession average is down slightly from 21 per game in 2016 to 17.7 in 2017, Bastinac has found a way to impact on games like never before. Getting forward on occasions, he's booted three hauls of three goals for a healthy total of 17 in 13 games.

Bastinac admits he "lost interest in footy for a bit there" during his last season at North Melbourne, while struggling to live up to his early potential. But he is back enjoying the game again - despite the at-times brutal assessment of his game. It was a mixed first season at Brisbane, which culminated in the sacking of coach Justin Leppitsch.
b88915714z1_20170811123925_000guro65fh2-0-koqrvssddxlaz25cqo2_t460.jpg

Ryan Bastinac of the Lions celebrates a goal during the round 20 match against the Western Bulldogs at the Gabba.Chris Hyde
"When I first got there I was loving it, just because of the fresh start. "I was just happy to get out of Melbourne and up to Brisbane where no one really knows much about footy. "The footy world down there is pretty full on and in your face. "But it (2016) was a long season and you could see the boys getting frustrated, a bit flat around the club, towards the end.

"This year is just a total different feel - everyone just wants to win every week, everyone is just looking to improve every week. "Everyone's just really positive. "Last year I just think we just wanted it to end, have the season done with. The feel I get now is we just want the season to keep going and play more footy together."

The Lions are desperate to at least end the season on a high note, starting with a win in QClash 14 today over the Gold Coast. Bastinac says the Lions will be wary of the Suns after the club sent coach Rodney Eade packing during the week.

"I'm sure they are going to come out firing," he said. "I'm sure it's extra motivation for them. No one likes the coach leaving." Bastinac said the Lions' priority was getting off the bottom of the table. They trail North Melbourne and Carlton by a game and percentage. "We're looking to win a few more games and jump up the ladder," he said. "We've got three games and we'd like to win every one of them. "We don't want to finish last that's for sure."
b88915714z1_20170811123925_000guro65f12-0-3w9zqmqccjgev25cqo2_fct1711x1272x284x94_ct620x465.jpg

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
CENTRE OF THE WEEK:
Best of the rest:

Ryan Bastinac (33% availability) continues to score well, registering 90 points from his 21 disposals, six marks, two tackles and a goal in the Q-Clash win over Brisbane. with an average of 79 for the season. While he ground out 56 points in Round 18, that’s his only score below 72 in the past nine weeks, with three tons scored in that time. The Lion is going at 80 points per game this season, and can be selected this week if required without a second thought.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Bankers or shankers?: The best and worst set shots
Best: Ryan Bastinac (14 shots, 12 goals, one behind, one miss, 86%)
The former Kangaroo has rejuvenated his career with an excellent second half of the season. Playing a combination of midfield, wing and half-forward, Bastinac has been a regular and reliable goalkicker. His around-the-corner goal to put the Lions in front deep in the final quarter against the Bulldogs in round 20 was a spectacular set shot.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Player Reviews
#4. Ryan Bastinac

Ryan Bastinac was an excellent example of a player who thrived under Chris Fagan’s coaching in 2017.

The former North Melbourne midfielder made a slow start to the year and was dropped to NEAFL on a couple of occasions, but continued to work hard on his game and force his way back to the Senior side.

Bastinac was one of the Lions' best in the second half of the year and was able to chip in with 19 valuable goals for the season while averaging 18 disposals per game over the season.

Senior matches: 16, NEAFL matches: 5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article on Basti here

Loved the way he came back and finished the year. Hopefully he can build on that again this season
And particularly as he is the age and experience level we need around our young guys.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He added a bit of class up forward in the second half of last year but it won't take much for him to fall behind the younger guys. Hopefully he can push up and find a bit more of the footy.

He added a bit of class up forward in the second half of last year but it won't take much for him to fall behind the younger guys. Hopefully he can push up and find a bit more of the footy.
In his first interview after being picked up by the Lions he said that he was slowly being pushed out of an inside role at the Kangas and didn't feel overly comfortable in an outside position. And would much prefer to play inside which was what he wanted to do at the Lions.
Its funny that we haven't really seen that side of his game to often since coming onboard.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Why can't he get a game?
Ryan Bastinac

After such an excellent second half to 2017, it was a slight surprise to see Bastinac start outside the best 22 this year. However, coach Chris Fagan has shown he expects much more of his middle tier players – Bastinac is 26 and has played 159 games – than he does of his youngsters. The return of Mitch Robinson and Allen Christensen from injury, plus the addition of Charlie Cameron, has put the squeeze on for spots, but Bastinac was given one chance against Sydney in the JLT Community Series and had a poor day. He has slid down the pecking order in the NEAFL as well, with Jacob Allison, Zac Bailey among others jumping the queue.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I hope he makes it back into a permanent spot in your 22. He played some excellent games for North as an inside mid, and handy around the goals too.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I hope he makes it back into a permanent spot in your 22. He played some excellent games for North as an inside mid, and handy around the goals too.

To be honest I have never really grasped why Basti is "on the outer"...he finished last year very well and was always good for a couple of goals per game and a reliable kick for goal. He is clearly not doing something (running both ways/being accountable?) that the coaches are demanding of him.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
To be honest I have never really grasped why Basti is "on the outer"...he finished last year very well and was always good for a couple of goals per game and a reliable kick for goal. He is clearly not doing something (running both ways/being accountable?) that the coaches are demanding of him.
Must admit, I've felt the same.

In a rather simplistic view, I think the coaches have chosen youth to get games into the likes of Bailey / Rayner and taken a long term approach at Bastinac's expense, even though Bastinac's output would be greater.

It will be interesting what they do with Bastinac at season's end given he is contracted for another year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back