Delisted Ryan Bastinac (2015-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep our midfield depth is shaping up really nicely. You can add Jansen, Keays and Mathieson as young players who will push for selection in the reserves and players like Lester and Bewick who will make sure the players you listed play at their best otherwise they will replace them as Lester and Bewick are too good for NEAFL level(If only they could transfer their NEAFL form to the AFL on a consistent basis!).

I think Lester is on borrowed time. Bewick too. Both would really need to add a bow or two to be there in 2017.

I think Lester is on borrowed time. Bewick too. Both would really need to add a bow or two to be there in 2017.
They will push for senior selection regardless though. I agree they will be lucky to hold onto their spots on the list if they are unable to become consistent best 22 players as opposed to fringe best 22 players, however, one thing they do do consistently is dominate at NEAFL level and it is for this reason that if the midfielders/flankers in the senior side fail to impress they will have players tearing it up in the NEAFL ready to replace them:thumbsu:

One thing about Basti that I have picked up on from watching him in the past and watching a fair amount of footage of him at both AFL and VFL level since the Lions recruited him is that he has very tidy disposal, particularly by foot. This will be a very handy trait to add to our midfield as turnovers have simply killed the side in recent years both directly and indirectly (Results in extra work for the midfielders in getting back on defensive efforts which also leads to more tired bodies as the games progresses).

We all know he comes to the club having stagnated form wise the past couple of years, however, he played some quality football in the first three odd years of his career and North fans were talking him up as a future A grader. He is unlikely to reach those heights now but I genuinely think with a fresh start he will flourish and have a career best year. The form of all three of DBeams, Bundy and MRobbo last year showed that a fresh start at a new club in a new state can work wonders. I see no reason why it won't do the same for a motivated Ryan Bastinac and my prediction is that this time next year Lions fans will hold him in the same regard as the likes of Rockliff and DBeams. Big call I know but I really rate him and am excited to have him at the club:thumbsu::rainbow:
Agree 100%. He compliments our midfield perfectly. He is exactly the player we needed Redden to be this season and I have him as top 5 for importance. :thumbsu:

Calm down now :p
I understand most won't have him there and I can see their point. But his inclusion will allow Beams to play more outside, Rocky to play forward more often, and Hanley to move between the flanks or midfield. Bastinac can also read the ball exceptionally well off a pack and can crumb a decent goal for a midfielder. Also helps that he has elite running capacity with the new changes to rotations being implemented next season. Is he in the best 5 of our club? No but from the few points listed above I'd personally have him as one of our top 5 most important players. Let's just hope he can re find his old form playing on the inside. I have a feeling he will love playing off Martin. Beams, Rocky, Hanley and the brute Robinson. :thumbsu:

You only have to look at our own Mitch Robinson to see what a fresh start can do for some players. From what I've seen so far he looks hungry to succeed and has been conducting himself in a very professional manner:thumbsu: Based on his twitter replies to fans it appears as if he has really bought into the club as well making comments like "GoLions!" and "It's a great club!"... not that he would trash talk the club either but they are positive signs.

Speaking of the fresh start working wonders for some players, considering he has his close family friends the Lambert's on board with him up here, he is hungry and professional in his attitude towards pre season training and the fact that he has shown at times throughout his 121 game career that he can play at a high quality level, a break out year of sorts is not out of the question for Basti in 2016 and I can't help that feel he will really perform well for the Lions:thumbsu:

If he does perform it is exciting to think that we will have two gun midfielders from the 2009 draft on our list in Basti and Bundy after trading away most of our picks to secure the likes of Fev, Raines, Buchanan ect. and having no players from that draft as regular performers in our senior side creating a gap in our age profile.

It is a little strange how similar his career path has been to that of his new(and ex) teammate Bundy! Bastinac and Christensen played for Vic Country in the Under 18's Carnival in 2009. They both got drafted to Vic clubs in the 2009 draft and had successful starts to their careers. Christensen joined the Lions on a 4 year deal at the end of 2014 and Bastinac followed him North a year later on a 4 year deal as well. They are both classy ball users as well. Hopefully they can both have good seasons in 2016 and act as integral members of our best 22.

I am looking forward to seeing what Bundy and Basti can do together:thumbsu:

Poor bloke is desperate to play some footy with the Lions:D He has been itching to pull on the Lions jumper since he arrived last year and wanted to play against the GC but the coaches held him back for the Saints game. As we all know, however, the Saints game was cancelled... Will be counting down the days till next Sunday against the Giants.

Ryan Bastinac to play his first game for Brisbane Lions in wet, windy Mackay

No he won't.;)

IT could be wet, wild and windy in a waterlogged Mackay but Brisbane coach Justin Leppitsch says the NAB Challenge clash with St Kilda is a chance for new recruits Ryan Bastinac and Josh Walker to shine.

Midfielder Bastinac will be playing his first match in Lions colours after switching from North Melbourne in the off-season while key forward Josh Walker will get his first chance to play with Brisbane’s best on-ballers. But what kind of service Bastinac and the rest of the Lions midfield can provide Walker and No.2 draft pick Josh Schache remains to be seen given the deluge that the Harrup Park Country Club has copped in the past week with more rain and thunderstorms forecast.

“But I’m looking to forward to seeing how Ryan blends in with the rest of the midfield group after a really impressive pre-season.

“But I’m looking to forward to seeing how Ryan blends in with the rest of the midfield group after a really impressive pre-season." He has had a really strong pre season but performing out on the training track is one thing. He needs to back it up in matches starting against the Giants in this weeks Nab Challenge clash at Metricon. I am going to back him in to do so and have a really good year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vero Coaches Wrap: Daniel's Rich Performance

“It was his first game for the Club – he had 22 possessions, 10 contested, six tackles and four clearances. He’ll add to (Dayne) Beams and Rocky in there as well.

“Around stoppages his ability to play his role (is fantastic). He’s going to be a very important cog in the side for us. It’s what we brought him into the Club for; his ability to win contested football, his use of his hands and his smartness around the ground, he’s a beautiful kick of the football and gets the ball going our way.

RYAN Bastinac can't wait to play North Melbourne on Saturday, but says there is no extra motivation in facing his former club.

Bastinac was traded to the Brisbane Lions during the off-season after playing 121 games for the Kangaroos, and says running out against them will be a strange feeling.

And despite saying he had been pushed away from the role he was best at with North, the 24-year-old was playing a straight bat on Tuesday, saying he had a team focus for this weekend's game at the Gabba.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-...ed-away-from-his-best-role-at-north-melbourne

Was quite clearly one of our bests against the Eagles, thought he had good composure around the stoppages.

I always rated him at North and was really excited when we picked him up, still so young and the type of player you want when he is 26-28 in his prime pushing for finals.

Ryan Bastinac grew up idolising Brisbane champion Simon Black

RYAN Bastinac wouldn’t be at the Brisbane Lions if it wasn’t for a letter he received from Simon Black. It wasn’t sent last season when the former Kangaroo was weighing up his future but arrived when he was a 12-year-old with dreams of being an AFL footballer.

Bastinac was pageboy at the wedding of Craig and Melissa Lambert and it was the Lions’ welfare boss who told the Brownlow medallist about his little mate who loved his footy. Black decided to write a letter and it is still a prized possession stored safely in a Bastinac family photo album.

“I always loved Blackie, he was just my idol, and I wanted to be like him when I grew up,’’ he said. “The letter really got me going with my footy. “Over the years I have gone back and looked at it a few times, for one of the greats of the game to do that for me, I will cherish that forever.’’

Bastinac, now 24 and a veteran of 122 games, said another encounter with Black, four years later, was the catalyst for his rise into the AFL ranks. He had just been cut from the Victorian Under 16s side and feared for his draft prospects having been told by some he was too slow.

It was the exact feedback a 16-year-old Black had received. Lambert mentioned to Black that Bastinac was struggling with his footy and once again the triple premiership star reached out to help. “I was pretty cut with it all,’’ Bastinac said. “I was leading into a grand final and my confidence was a bit down when Blackie rang me.

“Recruiters had said he was slow and I had that knock on me as well, and I talked to him about that. “He just said to work on the things I could control, work constantly on my pace and not just accept it, he said I could improve. “And the best piece of advice was to always listen to the people who know you best — coaches, family and friends. It was really the turning point for my whole career.’’

He said it was a thrill this week when Black, now midfield coach at the Lions, sought his views on how to beat his former club at the Gabba on Saturday. Black’s influence has extended beyond Bastinac’s football and training ethic and has inspired him to be a role model.

“I know I am not the player Blackie was, but there have been kids out there I have done similar things for, I’ve written quite a few letters to kids or met with them,’’ he said. “Getting the letter from Blackie was the best day of my life at that stage and if I can do that for someone else I think it is great.’’

300316bastinacletter.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back