Traded Ryan Burton [traded with #15, #35 and future 4th for Wingard and future 3rd]

Remove this Banner Ad

Those brown and gold types in here saying Chad has had 3 bad seasons... and in the next breath saying 'you obviously didnt watch Rioli play' really are not aware of the irony.

Wargreymon90

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That silly statement confirms how stupid you are.

You are not one of the Cornes boys are you?
Considering he’s the most common name that pops up whenever the overrated thread is put up on the main board, I would say I’m not the only one.

Il leave it at that as I seem to have upset you.

yep, with some hard work and good coaching hopefully he can eventually average half a goal less and 6 less touches a game
If he can equal Rioli’s impact by reducing those stats and working on other areas of his game, then he’ll have done well.

Considering he’s the most common name that pops up whenever the overrated thread is put up on the main board, I would say I’m not the only one.

If the BigFooty consensus is that Cyril is overrated, I'm incredibly happy - the one thing I've learnt from spending time on this sideshow of a website it's that the average BigFooty punter knows less about Football than the average 70 year old SEN caller.

This is laughable hyperbole.

Who's better? Who are the absolute stand outs? It's not like being the best midfielder of all time, there isn't as much competition.

At this point I'd say he's on par with Betts for different reasons. Milne for his goal kicking, but he wasn't an absolute stand out. Farmer, Matera were both very good. Daicos as well if you consider him a small forward but I'm not sure he fits the definition completely.

Out of all of those you'd probably say:

Daicos
Betts/Rioli
Milne
Farmer
Matera

Daicos, Betts and Rioli are all tied for the most AA nods with 3.

I don't think it's too much of a reach.

Edit: I think Wingard as a permanent small forward would take the mantle, but I'm not sure if he'll stay there - hopefully Clarko sees that maybe sometimes a champion small forward can just stay a champion small forward.

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
wait... holy s**t... are Port fans seriously trying to make out like Chad Wingard, after a good start but then an ongoing patch of relative mediocrity; is better than 4 x Premiership player, 3 x AA, Norm Smith medalist Cyril Rioli?!!

laughing-gifs-robert-deniro.gif

Longjohnmire

Senior List
Dec 31, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Does Adelaide get games broadcast in or do they just read stats sheets up there? It’s actually a laugh trying to measure Rioli on a stat sheet. I’m the last person to stick up for Hawthorn too but Rioli had more magic than any other small forward that I’ve seen play. Easy. As a team focussed small forward id have him over any similar small forward type.

I think the burton trade will come back to bite the hawks.

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Does Adelaide get games broadcast in or do they just read stats sheets up there? It’s actually a laugh trying to measure Rioli on a stat sheet. I’m the last person to stick up for Hawthorn too but Rioli had more magic than any other small forward that I’ve seen play. Easy. As a team focussed small forward id have him over any similar small forward type.

I think the burton trade will come back to bite the hawks.
Lots of deals every season can come back and bite clubs on the arse.

King_Tredrea

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2007
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dubs, Bills, Chelsea FC
wait... holy s**t... are Port fans seriously trying to make out like Chad Wingard, after a good start but then an ongoing patch of relative mediocrity; is better than 4 x Premiership player, 3 x AA, Norm Smith medalist Cyril Rioli?!!

Yes. I’m surprised this is even in question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 12, 2018
SuperCaliFragilisticPorts2GetLukosius
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Rioli was a very, very good pressure forward no doubt, but Chad has all his tricks and “damage per possession” with much more consistency, far better ability in the air, and the capability to play through the midfield.

Hawthorn supporters seem to take it as a slight, but its not. Rioli played an important role and was very exciting at the same time, he was part of the most successful side of the last 20 years. There are just better players than him out there, thats it.

He hasn’t been as talented or as impactful as Wingard, though he was arguably better at winning premierships. All there is to it.

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ok there is a lot of non Ryan Burton chatter in this thread....

How good do you think Ryan Burton is going to be ? He just signed a 2 year deal then gone. I do notice he is from SA so I guess the trade will suit him in the long run.

With the "Chad" coming to Hawthorn do they feel they are within a premiership window ?

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda

That's probably because the average fan is more interested on stats and super coach points than how much impact a player actually has on the game.

Back