Traded Ryan Burton [traded with #15, #35 and future 4th for Wingard and future 3rd]

Remove this Banner Ad

Antares

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It looks like he will be going to Port Adelaide soon as a part of the Wingard deal.

Do you think he's been undervalued by Hawthorn? Should they really be giving away arguably their most promising youngster so easily for a 26 year old Wingard?

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
It looks like he will be going to Port Adelaide soon as a part of the Wingard deal.

Do you think he's been undervalued by Hawthorn? Should they really be giving away arguably their most promising youngster so easily for a 26 year old Wingard?
I think he’s a classy player. I’m not sure he is our most promising youngster but definitely up there with Hardwick, Sicily plus Morrison and Worpel look the goods as well. I believe Ryan is Colateral Damage to bolster up our frwd line options whereas hawks have plenty of choices across the backline.

So when a club “gives something to get something” they are giving him away?

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawks fans are seriously mental.

Two weeks ago you could have raised Burton as trade bait and they would say he is a future hall of fame, untouchable gun who will move into the midfield this season.

Now it looks like he is leaving he has been downgraded to a classy half back flanker who is surplus to needs...
Don't think I've seen many Hawks supporters say he is surplus to needs...

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers

Two weeks ago you could have raised Burton as trade bait and they would say he is a future hall of fame, untouchable gun who will move into the midfield this season.

Now it looks like he is leaving he has been downgraded to a classy half back flanker who is surplus to needs...
Majority of fans would say that yes, but he has had plenty of Hawks supporters critical of his season and plenty who have had the thought he is only a good solid player at the moment. The outrage from the majority of fans suggests that the majority still think he is a young gun who is untouchable, but not all fans have the same opinions.

I do not want him to go, i think he has a lot of potential and i really hope he stays. No player is bigger than the club though and he is playing a role at the moment that we can replace. Birchall if fit next season could take his spot straight up, this could allow us to bring in Scully (a huge area of need), Wingard (huge area of need), Scrimshaw (potential).

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

2 days ago

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I prefer Burton to Wingard. Cant believe some of the supposed offers being made.

Either Clarko has lost the plot or they are all just totally made up.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Burton's greatest weapons is his penetrating foot skills. He showed that repeatedly in 2017 but for some reason it was not seen much in 2018.

Why did it go missing? He was injured in the 2nd round, then fell into a form slump, and probably lost confidence.

If PA get the low, long and accurate kick of 2017 then he will be a weapon for them. If not, they will get a 200 gamer who is above average.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Majority of fans would say that yes, but he has had plenty of Hawks supporters critical of his season and plenty who have had the thought he is only a good solid player at the moment. The outrage from the majority of fans suggests that the majority still think he is a young gun who is untouchable, but not all fans have the same opinions.

I do not want him to go, i think he has a lot of potential and i really hope he stays. No player is bigger than the club though and he is playing a role at the moment that we can replace. Birchall if fit next season could take his spot straight up, this could allow us to bring in Scully (a huge area of need), Wingard (huge area of need), Scrimshaw (potential).
Re Birchall - yes good replacement but its very short term. Birchall would have 1-2 years left?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Good ordinary player overrated by their supporters for the last 2 seasons, if Hawks can turn him and a first rounder into Wingard they'll make out like bandits

Not terribly sure why they want Wingard, particularly for the price of one of their prized youngsters. Bringing in Scully should be more than enough for them, they surely need to save the cap space for a big forward next year.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Not terribly sure why they want Wingard, particularly for the price of one of their prized youngsters. Bringing in Scully should be more than enough for them, they surely need to save the cap space for a big forward next year.

I don't think Hawthorn plans to ever develop a footballer again.

newblueo

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2014
echuca
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good ordinary player overrated by their supporters for the last 2 seasons, if Hawks can turn him and a first rounder into Wingard they'll make out like bandits

Not unlike florent in that regard. Burton reminds me a bit like Brad Sheppard took 3 years to settle in but now is a really good b grade footy player which port need.

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Not unlike florent in that regard. Burton reminds me a bit like Brad Sheppard took 3 years to settle in but now is a really good b grade footy player which port need.

I don't really get the comparison? Swans fans don't bang on about Florent like he's a future triple brownlow medallist

Nor do Port need to trade in more B graders when they're trading out one of their genuine A grade talents

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There are already reports that Burton will struggle with the requirements to reach peak fitness for AFL. Buyer beware.

Not saying his leg will fall off, but that he will struggle to reach his peak potential.
I cant find any reports re Burton, as you said.
Maybe you can post a link about it.
Or are you just waffling on :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back