Traded Ryan Burton [traded with #15, #35 and future 4th for Wingard and future 3rd]

Remove this Banner Ad

Burton is not simply a solid rebounding defender, he is a very good player capable of being an All Australian.
As a rebounding defender, yes, probably more likely than any other position.

No way have we seen his ceiling.
Position wise I have a strong feeling that we have.

He doesn’t have the intensity or composure to play KF or mid. Will pinch-hit against the lesser key forwards, like Walker, but I think it’s plain to see that Clarkson and Wright didn’t see him being the player that a lot of us had hoped at the end of 2017( which was a possible midfielder in waiting or key/leading forward), which is why they put him on the table.

Lol what bullshit is this? He called you out on a stupid statement you made about a 21 year old with two years of senior football behind him and you go and pull out this ridiculous strawman.
Like I said, as long as he is continued to be played out of position then we have seen his ceiling.

I'm judging that on his 2017 form, where he was robbed of the Rising Star and certainly not his 2018 form, which was forgettable at best.

Seriously, you're having a crack about that out of everything that was in my post?

Are you saying that you'd rather Burton than Wingard?

Last edited by a moderator:

Like I said, as long as he is continued to be played out of position then we have seen his ceiling.

I'm judging that on his 2017 form, where he was robbed of the Rising Star and certainly not his 2018 form, which was forgettable at best.

Seriously, you're having a crack about that out of everything that was in my post?

Are you saying that you'd rather Burton than Wingard?

So in response to being called out on a ridiculous strawman you just go and pull out the same strawman again?

Jeez, Burton's gotten a lot worse in the last 3 months according to Hawks supporters. Interesting that.

If he's that good, why didn't your mob throw a ten year contract, worth 1.5 million a year at him?

As a rebounding defender, yes, probably more likely than any other position.

Position wise I have a strong feeling that we have.

He doesn’t have the intensity or composure to play KF or mid. Will pinch-hit against the lesser key forwards, like Walker, but I think it’s plain to see that Clarkson and Wright didn’t see him being the player that a lot of us had hoped at the end of 2017( which was a possible midfielder in waiting or key/leading forward), which is why they put him on the table.

That seems like revisionist history to me, you only put Burton on the table cause you simply had no other decent trade assets to get a deal for Wingard done.

Its the cliched giving up quality to get quality trade.

Its rather a gamble by Hawthorn letting Burton go for a very talented but flakey (and from all reports lazy) player in Wingard.

If Rozee ends up as good as pre season reports say, I'd say Port Adelaide have done very well in the wash up.

That seems like revisionist history to me, you only put Burton on the table cause you simply had no other decent trade assets to get a deal for Wingard done.

Its rather a gamble by Hawthorn letting Burton go for a very talented but flakey (and from all reports lazy) player in Wingard.

If Rozee ends up as good as pre season reports say, I'd say Port Adelaide have done very well in the wash up.
We raised Burtons name with Adelaide as well.

Have you ever considered that we explored other options to get the trade done, but at the end of the day there wasn't one?

As a club, if we want and/or commit to a player we do whatever it takes, I would have thought that after the Jaeger O'Meara trade you all would have learned by now.

It's well known that Clarko has been after Wingard for years and when the opportunity presented itself, he grabbed it with both hands.

As much as I was hoping there was another way to get the deal done, I'd still be happy with the club trading a player with potential for a proven, multiple AA player that fills a void in our list.

If you look at the trade period as a whole, then you'd also be aware that we landed Jack Scrimshaw for a packet of twisties and I think he could play the exact same role as Burton, however at a better/higher output.

While I wish Burton all the best, I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep about the events in trade period that transpired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you ever considered that we explored other options to get the trade done, but at the end of the day there wasn't one?

As a club, if we want and/or commit to a player we do whatever it takes, I would have thought that after the Jaeger O'Meara trade you all would have learned by now.

It's well known that Clarko has been after Wingard for years and when the opportunity presented itself, he grabbed it with both hands.

As much as I was hoping there was another way to get the deal done, I'd still be happy with the club trading a player with potential for a proven, multiple AA player that fills a void in our list.

If you look at the trade period as a whole, then you'd also be aware that we landed Jack Scrimshaw for a packet of twisties and I think he could play the exact same role as Burton, however at a better/higher output.

While I wish Burton all the best, I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep about the events in trade period that transpired.
mmm, except that according to many Hawthorn posters, Hawthorn had led Shiel along by the nose for at least a year, to the point that they were his preferred destination, right up until Hawthorn apparently decided the price was too high and/or changed their mind and decided to get Wingard instead and poor spurned Dylan had to settle for Essendon.

I guess you can tell stories to suit any narrative really, can't you?

mmm, except that according to many Hawthorn posters, Hawthorn had led Shiel along by the nose for at least a year, to the point that they were his preferred destination, right up until Hawthorn apparently decided the price was too high and/or changed their mind and decided to get Wingard instead and poor spurned Dylan had to settle for Essendon.

I guess you can tell stories to suit any narrative really, can't you?
It was longer than 1 year closer to 3
and it came down to GWS wanting the most for him

It was longer than 1 year closer to 3
and it came down to GWS wanting the most for him
right? Which is fair enough.

But it also puts paid to the myth that Hawthorn always get their man no matter what. Which is obvious kool aid material. Like all clubs, Hawthorn act strictly in their own self-interest. If that means paying for a player, so be it. Equally, if it means passing on a player, that's what will happen (regardless of whether that's what actually happened here)

right? Which is fair enough.

But it also puts paid to the myth that Hawthorn always get their man no matter what. Which is obvious kool aid material. Like all clubs, Hawthorn act strictly in their own self-interest. If that means paying for a player, so be it. Equally, if it means passing on a player, that's what will happen (regardless of whether that's what actually happened here)
I have a very very good source that says thats actually what did happen here
straight form the horses mouth

but who am I to spoil the mythology,its yesterdays news

The Trade ended up being Wingard and Ports 3rd Round 2019 FOR Ryan Burton(Port), Xavier Duursma(Port), Tom Joyce(Bris) and our 4th round 2019

geez Wingard better have a great 5 years, because thats a quality tall and 2 high quality mids from the draft...

The Trade ended up being Wingard and Ports 3rd Round 2019 FOR Ryan Burton(Port), Xavier Duursma(Port), Tom Joyce(Bris) and our 4th round 2019

geez Wingard better have a great 5 years, because thats a quality tall and 2 high quality mids from the draft...

If you're using that logic, then the full transaction hasn't been determined yet and you might as well wait until this year's draft

And even then it's flawed.

If you're using that logic, then the full transaction hasn't been determined yet and you might as well wait until this year's draft

And even then it's flawed.

Nah, he makes a good point. I'd say Port have won this trade by the length of the Flemington straight at the moment.

Nah, he makes a good point. I'd say Port have won this trade by the length of the Flemington straight at the moment.

Based on ... a pre-season games performance?

It's faaaaaar too early to make that call.

This time last year St Kilda had apparently won the trade that let us get O'Meara.

Based on ... a pre-season games performance?

It's faaaaaar too early to make that call.

This time last year St Kilda had apparently won the trade that let us get O'Meara.
They still have.

O'Meara has to become an all-time great player to justify the price Hawthorn were dumb enough to pay.

How can you win a trade before any of them have played any games? The rookies could be busts and Burton could remain at the level he was last year as a solid player, while Wingard gets back to his best and wins multiple B&FS and makes All Australian teams.

Or the opposite could happen and Burton lives up to his potential the rookies are develop in to guns and Wingard spends the rest of his career failing to live up to his previous best.

tldr no one wins a trade before round 1...

If Scrimshaw slots into HBF and plays like he did in JLT 2 then this will be a great result for Hawthorn. Personally, I will be viewing Scrimshaw and Burton closely as their careers progress as I feel both are very similar players. I don't think we would have seen both in the same 22 in 2019.

If Scrimshaw plays at a level similar to Burton, and Wingard plays to his best, I will be ecstatic with this trade.

In saying that, there doesn't always have to be a loser and Port may very well be happy long term with Burton and Duursma.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back