Player Watch Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Burton has actually been fantastic. He has a beautiful kick on him that always hits a target. This is so underrated as it just instantly relieves any pressure.

He is incredible on his left or right, which hardly any of our players can do. This is allowing the quick switch to either side, without losing any time.

I think Burton has actually been fantastic. He has a beautiful kick on him that always hits a target. This is so underrated as it just instantly relieves any pressure.

He is incredible on his left or right, which hardly any of our players can do. This is allowing the quick switch to either side, without losing any time.
I agree. His last three weeks especially have been really solid. He’s tougher than I expected and has Dan Houston-like reliability.

He's been unlucky to be on the end of two BS frees that resulted in goals (Lynch push and Gaff dropping the ball when Burton ever so slightly brushed his hand) but outside that has been very reliable.

Would still love to see him push up the ground a little more than he has been. The thought of both him and Hammer sitting back 65 m from goal in a full press is pretty enticing.

So much to like about him. Great size for a modern footballer, really athletic, only 22 years old, plays as smooth as silk.

He's been unlucky to be on the end of two BS frees that resulted in goals (Lynch push and Gaff dropping the ball when Burton ever so slightly brushed his hand) but outside that has been very reliable.

Would still love to see him push up the ground a little more than he has been. The thought of both him and Hammer sitting back 65 m from goal in a full press is pretty enticing.

He was also the tackler in the one where Petrucelle dropped the ball in the tackle and it was called holding the man rather than holding the ball, so it's actually three. He's getting a real lesson about the difference between playing for Port Adelaide and playing for Hawthorn early on. And so is Lycett for that ridiculous free paid to Andrew Phillips against Carlton.

plus the Petruccelle free kick where Burton chased him down running into goal and he fumbled it when tackled
Equally as BS as the others you mentioned

He was also the tackler in the one where Petrucelle dropped the ball in the tackle and it was called holding the man rather than holding the ball, so it's actually three. He's getting a real lesson about the difference between playing for Port Adelaide and playing for Hawthorn early on. And so is Lycett for that ridiculous free paid to Andrew Phillips against Carlton.

The biggest difference between playing for Hawthorn and playing for Port Adelaide for Burton is this

1556238101476.png

Good to see Burton quietly acknowledged here. He's been good for us.

It's well deserved. These teams of the week are purely a mathematical construct based on the AFL Player Ratings scores so there's no subjective bias here. Burton was truly one of the best defenders competition wide this week, he also had a career best game. A nice silver lining in an otherwise dismal weekend.

Maybe I judged him a bit harshly a few weeks back. :p
It just takes time to settle into a new club..amazing the difference after 1 yr then come back for yr 2 preseason yr2 and so on..he has been really good and is growing as the year unfolds...imho he is going to be very very good for us and a leader in our young defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like him . Great natural talent , I don’t think he’s reached his ceiling yet , to me he’s a real jet in the making , could be wrong I have been before but I’ve been right as well .

That game in 2017 where Burton kept Walker relatively quiet (back when Walker was half decent and keeping him relatively quiet was an achievement rather than the expectation) and got up the field to add two goals at the other end pls

That game in 2017 where Burton kept Walker relatively quiet (back when Walker was half decent and keeping him relatively quiet was an achievement rather than the expectation) and got up the field to add two goals at the other end pls
The way Walker has been moving the last 12-18 months, Burton is the perfect match-up and should run off him at every opportunity.

Hasnt had a great breakout game for us yet, but definitely been the quiet achiever. Been doing his role while all the attention has been put on the draft kids and lycett.

Hoping that this week is where he really makes a name for himself at port. Feel like even the average port fan (non bigfooty) seem to forget he is in the team.

Ryan Burton playing on Tex makes me laugh. The fact that Hawthorn were able to get away with that match up speaks to the strength of their system and the players within it. We have no such luxury. Burton should be played as a loose man as much as possible, it's his best role.

Ryan Burton playing on Tex makes me laugh. The fact that Hawthorn were able to get away with that match up speaks to the strength of their system and the players within it. We have no such luxury. Burton should be played as a loose man as much as possible, it's his best role.

Hawthorn’s system isn’t strong enough to get the best out of Chad :p

Hasnt had a great breakout game for us yet, but definitely been the quiet achiever. Been doing his role while all the attention has been put on the draft kids and lycett.

Hoping that this week is where he really makes a name for himself at port. Feel like even the average port fan (non bigfooty) seem to forget he is in the team.
He had that two years ago. What we want is his consistent, high-level output - which he is so far providing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back