Player Watch Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Burton really exist?

i havent seen or heard anything from him since he was traded to Port

Wasn't he in LA?

Might still be on holiday. I remember when we recruited Matt White he wasn't back in SA to do any media for a couple of months.

Burton played in finals, so only needs to start his preseason a couple of weeks later. However, listening to Schofields interview, he mentions there that a few of the senior players in Watts, Rockliff and Hartlett have joined the young guys, and he then mentions that both Burton and Mayes have also returned early. So appears that he is back in Adelaide.

Burton played on finals, so only needs to start his preseason a couple of weeks later. However, listening to Schofields interview, he mentions there that a few of the senior players in Watts, Rockliff and Hartlett have joined the young guys, and he then mentions that both Burton and Mayes habe also returned early. So he is back in Adelaide.
He may have been for a few days, but he's obviously not here right now

Burton played in finals, so only needs to start his preseason a couple of weeks later. However, listening to Schofields interview, he mentions there that a few of the senior players in Watts, Rockliff and Hartlett have joined the young guys, and he then mentions that both Burton and Mayes have also returned early. So appears that he is back in Adelaide.
I reckon Watts will be rocking up early for quite some time lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just reading those tweets sounds like he's going to be played down back - at least in the short term.

Would much rather see him play up forward or in the mids.

I loved it when the reporter asked him if he'd paid his dues.

'Have I paid my dues? Yes sir, the check is in the mail.'

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-19/shocked-shattered-burton-didnt-consider-staying-with-hawks
He also chatted with Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson.

"I won't get into details about what he said, but we basically spoke about my playing future and that Port Adelaide was going to be a good fit," Burton said.

"Being contracted, of course I had a choice, but once you get put up on the trade block, you don't really feel comfortable going back unless you're 100 per cent wanted," Burton said.

Sounds like Cripps wasn't lying after all about the Hawks offering him up.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-15/hawks-100-per-cent-offered-up-burton

HAWTHORN "100 per cent" offered up Ryan Burton's name as a trade chip for a deal involving Chad Wingard

Last edited:
Sorry to bring up old wounds, but those laying the blame for Chad's exit solely at his feet while absolving the club because 'he was contracted so he agreed to go', please read the above.
The old we'll eat it up for the new bloke coming in but throw darts at the bloke who left with similar feelings scenario.. footy is forever fickle.

Dude is still visibly dejected about getting traded. Superb.
He will adjust. Probably embarrassed more than anything because he was doing all he could to be a great player at the Hawks yet Clarko still wanted him traded out.
I hope he becomes an absolute gun.
Sorry to bring up old wounds, but those laying the blame for Chad's exit solely at his feet while absolving the club because 'he was contracted so he agreed to go', please read the above.
If you MUST bring up Chad again, surely you realise that the club wouldn’t have considered allowing him to leave this year if he was following club standards and fulfilling his potential? Clubs don’t throw away good players without good reason. He may become a star at the Hawks mainly because he has had a shake up and it is a fresh environment and he may want to prove a point. . He was getting stale at Port unfortunately. Time to move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back