Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Yeah this thread doesn't need to be about Chad. Ryan will be a good (hopefully great) player for us.

gbear

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 27, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Back to the actual topic of this thread.... I thought that Ryan presented himself really well, considering the journs kept asking the same flippin question.
I am hoping he gets to spend some time with Schoey and he will develop into a class A midfielder under his tutorlidge. I can see him in the leadership group in the future. Anyhow, welcome Ryan, you showed distinct class today/

Stuff Chad Wingard!!!! Yes you are right, Ryan Burton will reach his potential ... Here, at Port Adelaide. My call - He will go on to have a better career at Port than Wingard will have at Hawthorn!

Looking at their respective careers to date that call is based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever, but hopefully it makes you feel better.

I've got nothing against Burton and I look forward to seeing him in a Port Adelaide jumper, but he's not on Wingard's level.

wilbur_15

All Australian
Nov 22, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He also chatted with Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson.

"I won't get into details about what he said, but we basically spoke about my playing future and that Port Adelaide was going to be a good fit," Burton said.

"That basically is what helped make my decision.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-19/shocked-shattered-burton-didnt-consider-staying-with-hawks

That's a worry. Reading between the lines it seems Clarkson didn't think he was necessarily going to make it as a player or at least would be up against. Tough call in a pretty average team with ageing players.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He also chatted with Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson.

"I won't get into details about what he said, but we basically spoke about my playing future and that Port Adelaide was going to be a good fit," Burton said.

"That basically is what helped make my decision.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-19/shocked-shattered-burton-didnt-consider-staying-with-hawks

That's a worry. Reading between the lines it seems Clarkson didn't think he was necessarily going to make it as a player or at least would be up against. Tough call in a pretty average team with ageing players.
It really just translates to please go I'd rather have Wingard on my list.

MrMeaner

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That was always going to be a tough press conference. It was already known that Ryan was taken by surprise to be offered up, so he would have expected those types of questions. I think he did reasonably well considering that. The real test of how he is settling in will be in his later media commitments and, of course, on field. Unfortunately, the poor bugger is always going to have to wear the label as the price Hawthorn had to pay for Wingard.

MrChow

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I like Burton.

Was just thinking Ken said a few times last year, he really wanted a true half forward. I think he wanted Chad to play there. Chad didn't want to. What a sook. I'm glad we traded him.

Burton happy to play anywhere- it's refreshing.

Dude is still visibly dejected about getting traded. Superb.

I wouldn't go as far as dejected but he was a bit awkward at the start of the interview. He warmed up as the interview went on. I don't think he enjoyed most of the early questions. He didn't ask for a trade to Port, he wasn't expecting to be traded to Port and he seemed perfectly happy at Hawthorn. Going from a top 4 team to a team that's struggled to make finals in recent years can't be easy. At least he's on a better contract and I'm sure he's happy being closer to family.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Looking at their respective careers to date that call is based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever, but hopefully it makes you feel better.

I've got nothing against Burton and I look forward to seeing him in a Port Adelaide jumper, but he's not on Wingard's level.
That's true. Chad's first few years were elite, but I had become quite disillusioned with him over the last few. I just have this gut feeling that Burton has a significant upside. I am really keen for Schofield to get his hands on him in the midfield, he could end up being a big surprise to everyone!

Happy to revisit my call in 4 years time.

Dave Omsby

Club Legend
May 18, 2014
Aldinga, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm hoping that Burton can play the high half forward role the one we've been craving since Monfries wheels fell off .
Watts is the other one but he's almost looking like further back or not best 22

I could be wrong but didn't he specifically say he wasn't shattered, just surprised?

Ofcourse he was upset and he probably was shattered but that isn't what he said.

Breaking: New Port Power recruit Ryan Burton hates Port Power, did not specifically denounce the Holocaust

Back