Player Watch Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

it's not like a half-back is a back-pocket either, with a refined gameplan they'll be pushing plenty high up the ground, leaving actual wingers to the wings as people have said

How dare you tell us when we can and can’t melt! If We want to complain about a player who has played off back for the last two years playing off half back in a training session in Noosa, then so help me god We’re going to complain.

It's not as if his former coach has ever achieved anything like winning premierships or coaching All Australian teams. Any know nothing nuffie can place a player in a totally unsuitable position. ;)

I don't think I can come back from that. My greatest work of facetiousness, defeated by a single lol.
Lots Of Love. It meant "lots of love"...

Was talking to Hammer at the supermarket an hour ago and he's excited Ryan is one of ours now.
Rates him highly.
Watched a replay of our game against Hawthorn R11.
He had 13 Kicks 6 Handballs and 11 intercept Marks playing off Halfback ... bugger him .. :p
Ok, so lets see what he can do for Port .. :D:thumbsu:
He sure goes ok ..;)

He has sublime skills and is an obvious super talent. Very happy to have got him to Port. I think he will settle into his role well and be a real weapon across half back for us.

I wonder, considering we are overflowing with talented half backs and I suspect he is the sort of player who could become complacent and comfortable in one role, whether using him in a Gunston type role or even through the midfield would work. We don’t really have that type of forward. Maybe not this season, just as something to mix it up in the future.

He has sublime skills and is an obvious super talent. Very happy to have got him to Port. I think he will settle into his role well and be a real weapon across half back for us.

I wonder, considering we are overflowing with talented half backs and I suspect he is the sort of player who could become complacent and comfortable in one role, whether using him in a Gunston type role or even through the midfield would work. We don’t really have that type of forward. Maybe not this season, just as something to mix it up in the future.

We tried him in the midfield a fair bit across the pre-season (including a bit of game in the Internal trial, U23) and didn't look settled or play his best footy until he went back to half back.

We tried him in the midfield a fair bit across the pre-season (including a bit of game in the Internal trial, U23) and didn't look settled or play his best footy until he went back to half back.
I think that’s understandable. A new environment can take months to get used to, let alone a new system, role and position on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have him out of my best 22 on form but do you take the risk and play him to get him exposure to the way we play at the highest level?

I'm going to slink away now, but IMO that could absolutely be the best thing for him.

He got something of a dream run at Hawthorn, never under threat for his position even as his performances fell away last year. For a kid who's always had it handed to him on a platter, being made to work might do him the world of good.

I'm going to slink away now, but IMO that could absolutely be the best thing for him.

He got something of a dream run at Hawthorn, never under threat for his position even as his performances fell away last year. For a kid who's always had it handed to him on a platter, being made to work might do him the world of good.

Was there much competition for his spot at Hawthorn?

I’m not sure about the need to work for it, coming back from the injury the way he did. I was more suggesting he may be the kind of guy that will need a new challenge periodically, ie a run in the midfield or forward line and maybe his best footy lies in one of these roles.

Was there much competition for his spot at Hawthorn?

I’m not sure about the need to work for it, coming back from the injury the way he did. I was more suggesting he may be the kind of guy that will need a new challenge periodically, ie a run in the midfield or forward line and maybe his best footy lies in one of these roles.

If there's one thing Hawthorn loves, it's Half-Back-Flankers...

We desperately wanted him to become a primary player - either the KPD that playing on Walker suggested he could be; or the inside/outside onballer. His long kicking and athleticism made it a tantalising prospect, but he never really showed the willingness to work hard, which we put down to endurance/fatigue from his recovery.

Unfortunately I now think Walker was just one of those unique matchups that just suited him perfectly as he couldn't replicate against anyone else.

Unfortunately I now think Walker was just one of those unique matchups that just suited him perfectly as he couldn't replicate against anyone else.
That's good enough for me, sincerely...

I am happy to be wrong about Burton

I thought he may just be a steakknives to our useless trading.... be given a token match or two and then off to SANFL

How is that Gold Coast fullback we got last year going I was just reminded

Remove this Banner Ad

Back