Player Watch Ryan Burton

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Always looked right at home at this level from day one in the AFL with Hawthorn, but what has impressed me that I wasn't aware of before seeing him in a Port guernsey was just how quick he is.
Huge mistake by Hawthorn in giving this guy up, plus chucking in [Duursma] as steak knives. They had way overestimated their list, thinking Wingard would be the new Cyril to propel them to greatness! He might still achieve something over there, but as each week passes my smile over this trade gets bigger, and bigger!

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Huge mistake by Hawthorn in giving this guy up, plus chucking in [Duursma] as steak knives. They had way overestimated their list, thinking Wingard would be the new Cyril to propel them to greatness! He might still achieve something over there, but as each week passes my smile over this trade gets bigger, and bigger!
I was concerned at first as I thought we were overloaded with good defenders already and had needs elsewhere, but the onflow effect of getting such a good defender as Burton is being able to play Houston in the middle. It’s like two wins in one. Then there’s 🏹 of course. Three for one.

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This guy is a freaking star.

He is almost as good as Dan Houston I reckon and could easily end up even better.

I really hope he plays up forward or on the wing before the end of the year.

He's like Dan Houston mixed with Hamish Hartlett. He has the consistency and reliability of Houston but also the ability to rip a game right open and be BOG that Hartlett possesses.

How ******* lucky are we to have this kid on our list, seriously...

He just plays like a Hawk (and I mean a threepeat premiership Hawk, not a 2019 Hawk).

Will possibly go down as the best trade this club ever made.
If Clarkson didn't coach the International Rules side in 2014 or 2015 and met Chad, this trade would never have happened.

SureBuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
He can mark the ball, he can kick it beautifully, he can kick it beautifully on his opposite foot, he can defend very well, he can kick a long goal. Is there anything he can’t do? He is going to be an absolute superstar and potentially our best player in a couple of years time. He is that good. I don’t think a lot of people on here realise that yet, or are only just starting to.

He will be twice the player Wingard is when their careers are over.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Well always be a 20 touch (some of them kick-ins) half back nothing player according to a Hawks poster.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
At this point in time Port has won the trade by a mile. Burton was a huge bet for the club, with potential to move into the midfield in the coming years when Boak and co start to retire.

Not to be a downer, but think back to mid-2010. Hawthorn traipsing through the season in a mediocre fashion, Burgoyne playing some fairly rusty footy not quite back into the swing of it after surgery...

Burton looks far more stable a prospect than a combo of Butcher/Moore (whichever way you spin it) and Pittard, but lets not forget the perils of crowing early.

FWIW I think history will look on us favourably with the Wingard - Burton/Duursma scenario. But it's a long game to get there!

Port 2004

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2012
Bellevue Heighta
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Too right. Our recruiters have nailed it. I am genuinely excited about our list, in particular our young players.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I love him.

Gotta give the club credit where it is due, the Wingard trade was gutsy but so far it has paid off brilliantly. I'm glad the club didn't listen to the hysteria of the majority of our supporter base during the trade period.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I look forward to him being added to the midfield roster. Has the skills and the footy brain.

One of the things I remember from the 01-04 team is how deep we batted in the midfield.. It was full of good players or good honest players (plus some good ruckmen just quietly ). so we lost little in first string versus second string rotations.

Him Houston and Rozee as part of the list of those on the ball is a bit delicious isn't it.

Onya lad.

I look forward to him being added to the midfield roster. Has the skills and the footy brain.

One of the things I remember from the 01-04 team is how deep we batted in the midfield.. It was full of good players or good honest players (plus some good ruckmen just quietly ). so we lost little in first string versus second string rotations.

Him Houston and Rozee as part of the list of those on the ball is a bit delicious isn't it.

Onya lad.
That 01-04 side, by 04, had a lot of smart footballers as well, many who have joined coaching ranks. And yes we batted deep with 19 players who could go thru the middle and in late 2005 we decided to let Chad play midfield.

Carr
James
P. Burgoynne
Schofield
Kane Cornes
Kingsley
Hardwick
Pickett
Cassisi
Wilson
S Burgoyne
Wanganeen