Player Watch Ryan Burton

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
That 01-04 side, by 04, had a lot of smart footballers as well, many who have joined coaching ranks. And yes we batted deep with 19 players who could go thru the middle and in late 2005 we decided to let Chad play midfield.

Carr
James
P. Burgoynne
Schofield
Kane Cornes
Kingsley
Hardwick
Pickett
Cassisi
Wilson
S Burgoyne
Wanganeen
Dew
Lade
Brogan

======== on the sideline didn't play in flag
Primus
Francou
Salopek
Ebert
Montgomery as well.

Burton seems to have pace, size, agility, composure and excellent skills - everything we need in the midfield or up front.

Am I barking up the wrong tree or is this guy wasted down back?
Wasted might be the wrong term but I'd like to see him get mid minutes like Houston has this year.

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wasted might be the wrong term but I'd like to see him get mid minutes like Houston has this year.

Yea we need his composure down back as back half turns are where the game is won and lost. But equally we are desperate for a fast and composed ball user in our midfield/HFF. I wonder as well whether having him at half back is pushing him enough, is he someone that will get bored or stagnant?

Mind you I advocate for pushing Lienert, Houston and Bonner up the ground too, so maybe I’m crazy.

He's a breath of fresh air for a team that struggles with its skills.

He's attack minded too. Works hard to get involved in our link play as we move the ball forward. He's kicked 3 goals this season more than any other defender, including Dan who's kicked 2.

Thanks Hawthorn!!

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He's a breath of fresh air for a team that struggles with its skills.

He's attack minded too. Works hard to get involved in our link play as we move the ball forward. He's kicked 3 goals this season more than any other defender, including Dan who's kicked 2.

Thanks Hawthorn!!

Probably exactly what Hawthorn is missing in their backline.

Really didn't expect him to be this good; Clarkson must REALLY like Chad, or maybe our lack of FTA exposure over these last 3 years worked to our benefit.

Still love and follow Chad but on balance I'd have no hesitation trading these guys on a straight swap, let alone adding in Duursma and the pick upgrade to 5 (Rozee) into it.

Sep 18, 2011
here
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea / Ferrari F1
Why shipping off Burton was the right call for the Hawks

Lol stupid AFL trying to cheer up the Hawks....
This reads like a Hawks fanboy wrote the article.
The AFL website really is trash.....especially this reporter who also came up with the Orazio article which has since been squashed...

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
NT News and Shepparton News - what a CV!

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The AFL website really is trash.....especially this reporter who also came up with the Orazio article which has since been squashed...
While the article itself is unashamedly sugar-sweet patriotic to the Hawks, comments contained therein by Alistair Clarkson do cut razor sharp.
Clarkson acknowledges that the strength of WCE lies with 2 tall forwards; something to which KH has been dragged kicking and screaming. I'm still not sure that any 2 talls we play would be used in the same way that Clarkson envisages, under KH stewardship.
I'd consider going further than 2, by the way.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
I don't think writing an article that nominates Impey as a potential Hawks club champion this year paints the club in a good light.
Yeah I did just wonder about that..... clearly a very anti Port writer to even somehow mention him too.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
I think the AFL shouldn't be participating in such gossip stories, clearly they are trying for easy clicks but I don't think it's at all appropriate for them too.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza

Hawks fans absolutely hate Essendon (and vice-versa) - our little blue collar club is just collateral damage in this scribe's flight of fancy.

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
That 01-04 side, by 04, had a lot of smart footballers as well, many who have joined coaching ranks. And yes we batted deep with 19 players who could go thru the middle and in late 2005 we decided to let Chad play midfield.

Carr
James
P. Burgoynne
Schofield
Kane Cornes
Kingsley
Hardwick
Pickett
Cassisi
Wilson
S Burgoyne
Wanganeen
Dew
Lade
Brogan

======== on the sideline didn't play in flag
Primus
Francou
Salopek
Ebert

Can add Josh Mahoney (GM Football at Melbourne)
And of course not forgetting the coaching staff under Choco - not the worst trio out there.
Phil Walsh, Dean Bailey, Alistair Clarkson

Back