Player Watch Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont get me wrong, ryan burton is a fine 3rd tall defender. However, if we are serious about his development we must roll him into onto a wing/mid or lead up/link up fwd role. Imaging using a kid who is 191 cms played all his junior footy as a lead up key fwd in defense because hawthorn said so. If Alistair clarkson was our coach (please god work a miracle and bring him back) he would be rolling him out of a 3rd tall role to compliment dixon and marshall/westhoff. They say you cant draft a half back in the top 10. Well i say you cant waste one of the best set shots on goal, lead up marker, decision maker/ball user, line breaker as a 3rd lockdown tall.

Oh and did i mention this kid is as clean below the knees as any 191cm player in the AFL. When he got drafted he said he wanted to be the next nat fyfe... now imaging playing nat fyfe in defense.

Burton doesn't seem smooth enough at ground level to play mid for me. Maybe wing, but I agree he's a defender. Maybe he could play forward though, I wouldn't rule that out.

Dont get me wrong, ryan burton is a fine 3rd tall defender. However, if we are serious about his development we must roll him into onto a wing/mid or lead up/link up fwd role. Imaging using a kid who is 191 cms played all his junior footy as a lead up key fwd in defense because hawthorn said so. If Alistair clarkson was our coach (please god work a miracle and bring him back) he would be rolling him out of a 3rd tall role to compliment dixon and marshall/westhoff. They say you cant draft a half back in the top 10. Well i say you cant waste one of the best set shots on goal, lead up marker, decision maker/ball user, line breaker as a 3rd lockdown tall.

Oh and did i mention this kid is as clean below the knees as any 191cm player in the AFL. When he got drafted he said he wanted to be the next nat fyfe... now imaging playing nat fyfe in defense.
I agree ... But he needed to hone his craft as a defender first ... Its time to do a "Houston" on him, and move to a more attacking role

Nah. He is a defender. I love how composed he is back there. Great 2 way player and can play 200 Very good games back there.
The problem I have with this perspective is that it is how Hinkley thinks. He is so stubborn and slow to select players, often too slow to drop them. Too slow to try them in new positions and often too slow to move them back if the experiment doesn't work. Boak, Motlop, Ryder, SGray to name a few. Or he will go to the other extreme as he did with Frampton and Howard.

We have no mid-size forwards, a tall forward that would get out bodied by a strong breeze, and one power forward who we are praying will stay fit and actually kick some goals to compliment his endeavour. There is no harm to be had in trying Burton forward for a reasonable period and see what he shows. If it doesn't work he goes down back again where we unfortunately already have ample coverage in terms of composed defenders.

I have such high hopes for Burton. I still think he is going to become one of our very best players, top 3. If he has a full preseason and injury free run during the season, he is going to be an absolute star. I rate him so highly. He is a great mark, he is quick, he is amazing on both left and right foot. I want to see him on a wing or through the middle.

I'm pretty confident Burton would be a better than average converter from outside 50. We need to get the ball in his hands at that range more, whether it be minutes at HF or just drifting forward at appropriate times in games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully he comes good I think he will never thought 🔨 was going to and now rock solid.
I would give 🔨 the wk off this wk prime him for first final.

No weeks off, no resting players unless injured. We have too many gaps between games coming up as it is.

yep

the time to rest was mid season. we now have to focus on continuity on the park

Ryan can genuinely be within to the top 4 players in our team. He is only 23 and once he gets over the injuries he will surpass any expectation.

Already proved with the games that he is actually out there that he is a genuine star. Long accurate kicking racks up disposals and takes intercept marks along with having that mix of speed and endurance ;).

We just need to be patient and trust in our medicos. Same story as hammer to an extent

Its a real struggle for Ryan. Very good player when fit but cant get any continuity due to his soft tissue injuries
If he can get a proper season without injury he will be an out and out star

Problem is with this current injury do we bring him back in and have him tweak a hammy or something in the first quarter of a final? or if fit do you just take the punt

Love him as a player and really hope he can sort his soft tissue problems out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back