Player Watch Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a real struggle for Ryan. Very good player when fit but cant get any continuity due to his soft tissue injuries
If he can get a proper season without injury he will be an out and out star

Problem is with this current injury do we bring him back in and have him tweak a hammy or something in the first quarter of a final? or if fit do you just take the punt

Love him as a player and really hope he can sort his soft tissue problems out
I'd risk him in the first final, absolutely!

Too good to miss out if he is presenting as fit. If he is still partially injured of course not.

He played 20 games in 2017 and 23 games in 2018 for the Hawks. 2017 he finished 2nd in the NAB Rising Star behind Andrew McGrath and in front of SPP

Since coming to Port he has played 16 games out of 22 in 2019 and 6 games out of 16 in 2020 (22 games out of 38 total for Port) at just 58% games played since being with Port

I vaguely remember hearing he started to cop some minor soft tissue stuff with his last season at Hawthorn and thats escalated since joining Port

Really hope he can get past it. Its a bit worrying

Didn’t his surgeons say that his leg injury resembled that of a car accident victims? I’m a massive fan of Burton, adds so much dynamic to our entire game plan not just our backline.

I’d say we are better off with him on field than not but if he goes down again being a rotation down on the bench far out weighs the pro’s in that equation.

Didn’t his surgeons say that his leg injury resembled that of a car accident victims? I’m a massive fan of Burton, adds so much dynamic to our entire game plan not just our backline.

I’d say we are better off with him on field than not but if he goes down again being a rotation down on the bench far out weighs the pro’s in that equation.
Same was said of charlies ankle & Robbie's knee! Good rehab takes time & his other muscles have over-compensated & are now paying a price. Manage him over the next 18 months & lets see how he goes. I am positive he will play here for another 10 years.

Same was said of charlies ankle & Robbie's knee! Good rehab takes time & his other muscles have over-compensated & are now paying a price. Manage him over the next 18 months & lets see how he goes. I am positive he will play here for another 10 years.

To be honest I’m probably wrong with those surgeons comments, or maybe surgeons in general have weak imaginations! Or wouldn’t it be funny if it was the same surgeon who was just mentally scarred from his first surgery in Emergency when he was straight out of uni and that is his go to reference.

Not the point, I digress, I agree 100% in that he is a Tantalising long term Talent worth persisting with. I’m more questioning the prospect of wether we are to see him play in the finals or maybe the risk out weighs the gains.

To be honest I’m probably wrong with those surgeons comments, or maybe surgeons in general have weak imaginations! Or wouldn’t it be funny if it was the same surgeon who was just mentally scarred from his first surgery in Emergency when he was straight out of uni and that is his go to reference.

Not the point, I digress, I agree 100% in that he is a Tantalising long term Talent worth persisting with. I’m more questioning the prospect of wether we are to see him play in the finals or maybe the risk out weighs the gains.
Goint to be interesting. We need him if we want to be chance for the GF IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smart enough not to chase Dangerfield when he ran into goal in the third. ;)

Such a fan of Burton. Superb footballer's footballer.

Smart enough not to chase Dangerfield when he ran into goal in the third. ;)

Such a fan of Burton. Superb footballer's footballer.

What is sad is, he probably could have almost caught him or forced him to take the kick earlier. Burton is lightening quick. He did the right thing though. His kicks tonight were on the shorter side too, it looked every bit like it was a modified play style.

Who cares, it works and he is still a fantastic player even if he has to take care. Not as if he wouldn't still go 100% if pushed to.

solid game tonight. nothing spectacular, but was safe and sure with ball in hand. will only improve from here.
It is such a relief to have him with the ball rather than Bonner (I'm still not writing off Bonner becoming a reliable player).

He just has the kind of class that stands up in big finals under pressure.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Things have worked out nicely for Port Adelaide's Ryan Burton.
Admittedly "shattered" to be used as trade bait by Hawthorn in 2018 - to lure Chad Wingard from Port Adelaide to the Hawks - Burton infamously found out he was surplus to requirements at Waverley while on holiday in the United States.

But a week out from a preliminary final and living in his home state, near family and friends, during the long distance, travel-restricting pandemic, Burton sees the move as a "blessing in disguise".
"From the outside, in hindsight, it looks like it's a really good decision," Burton said. "Obviously I am playing in a prelim in my second year here and you just look where Hawthorn are at this stage and there's a pretty big difference.

"In terms of that it seems like a great decision.
"But personally I couldn't be happier to be back in Adelaide. Me and Ken's [coach Ken Hinkley] relationship is outstanding and the trust I get from him, I couldn't ask for any more.
"In terms of the football club and coaching staff, I am absolutely loving it. Being back in Adelaide is great to be with family and friends."
That trust was on display early in the week, leading up to the Power's qualifying final win over Geelong.
Burton had only played six times in 2020. A knee clean-out after round two sidelined him through the pandemic break and then until round six. He injured his quad in round 14, and then again in round 16. Despite that, Hinkley brought him straight back into the side for the qualifying final.

"I had a good chat to Ken earlier in the week and he said he was picking me," Burton said. "I just immediately was thankful he had that faith in me.

"He basically reassured me that I didn't need to be thankful, that I'd earnt that spot over the last two years at the club and he was giving me my opportunity to play in a final.

"As soon as he got told by the docs, physios and myself that I was 100 per cent ready to go, he was backing me in. I am really grateful.

"There's nothing better than when a coach backs you in 100 per cent and gives you a lot of confidence to play.

Things have worked out nicely for Port Adelaide's Ryan Burton.
Admittedly "shattered" to be used as trade bait by Hawthorn in 2018 - to lure Chad Wingard from Port Adelaide to the Hawks - Burton infamously found out he was surplus to requirements at Waverley while on holiday in the United States.

But a week out from a preliminary final and living in his home state, near family and friends, during the long distance, travel-restricting pandemic, Burton sees the move as a "blessing in disguise".
"From the outside, in hindsight, it looks like it's a really good decision," Burton said. "Obviously I am playing in a prelim in my second year here and you just look where Hawthorn are at this stage and there's a pretty big difference.

"In terms of that it seems like a great decision.
"But personally I couldn't be happier to be back in Adelaide. Me and Ken's [coach Ken Hinkley] relationship is outstanding and the trust I get from him, I couldn't ask for any more.
"In terms of the football club and coaching staff, I am absolutely loving it. Being back in Adelaide is great to be with family and friends."
That trust was on display early in the week, leading up to the Power's qualifying final win over Geelong.
Burton had only played six times in 2020. A knee clean-out after round two sidelined him through the pandemic break and then until round six. He injured his quad in round 14, and then again in round 16. Despite that, Hinkley brought him straight back into the side for the qualifying final.

"I had a good chat to Ken earlier in the week and he said he was picking me," Burton said. "I just immediately was thankful he had that faith in me.

"He basically reassured me that I didn't need to be thankful, that I'd earnt that spot over the last two years at the club and he was giving me my opportunity to play in a final.

"As soon as he got told by the docs, physios and myself that I was 100 per cent ready to go, he was backing me in. I am really grateful.

"There's nothing better than when a coach backs you in 100 per cent and gives you a lot of confidence to play.

Well that was a nice subtle FU to Hawthorn and Clarkson 🤣🤣🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back